SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

13 hours ago, Wannabe said:

Anybody else having issues with their refunds?

I submitted my return end of July and got flagged for an Audit. I immediately supplied the requested documentation (that was early August) and got the reply that the requested documents was received. 

I received a few SMS messages, normally on a Sunday morning, "Dear Taxpayer, 0******162 Case no ***** Tax year 2021. SARS has received your supporting documents. Bah blah blah. Note that SARS aims to finalise cases within 21 working days from receipt of supporting documents"

Last SMS dated 30 Sept 21.

Since then, no more communication from them. Phoning the SARS Help Desk results in a long waiting time before call is answered. Although the Help Desk staff are generally very friendly and sympathetic, they are unable to assist me in any way, shape or form. All tells me that my case is with an Auditor, and out of their hands, they see the 21 days are long expired and all they can do is to escalate my case. I call them three times a week now, and still no result.

I have the same with my UIF claim, submitted 28 Jan 2021. Only answer I get that is my case is with an assessor, and they can only log a query for me. Nobody I can contact to find out why it is taking that long to finalise my case. 

BLOODY AGGREVATING!!!!!!

I can only sympathize, been audited before but never had these long delays. Then this year, no audit. Very strange as the refund amount was basically the same as previous years.
I do believe the refund amount determines the scrutiny, but no reason for what you are experiencing. Perhaps no money in their account to effect the refund?

Not even sure if there is an ombudsman you can approach, have you looked into that?

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will contacting the Ombudsman even be worth the effort?

I mean, we are dealing with a Government Dept (read ANC) here. If yes, where do I get their contact numbers, other than just another Call Centre.

• 5 weeks later...

Wannabee,

Any progress for you on this? I have heard nothing and am thinking of contacting my accountants to make enquiries about it. But of course that costs me..

Grrrrr again.

Yeah, got an SMS on the 15th of December that my audit has been finalised, and that it transpired that I owe SARS zilch, and that they owe me the same. The holdup was that the company I worked for filed a different IRP5 to the one they supplied me, after I already submitted the copy supplied to me with my assesment.

I'm gobsmacked about it, as I have a RA that I contribute to, as well as as other refundable contributions. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Wannabe said:

I'm sure you can. Will take a long time though.

You could definitely dispute, and i would if I was you just don't be too hopeful.

A couple of years ago I disputed the fact that SARS did not believe ambulance service expenses were medical related, go figure. Gave up after a few months, writing was on the wall......

• 5 months later...

Filing season 2022 done and dusted, well almost... my refund due, is not in the account yet.
A simple 20 minute exercise on Sunday evening, and the ITA34 notification yesterday afternoon.

Edited by Frosty

Did my return on the 1st. (Friday). refund was paid in early this morning. when they sms/email you the statement of account, know refund will almost be paid. It's either within 3 business days or 72 hours.

The systems they have in place where you are supposed to check status of refund are useless. But anyways, at least I can refuel my bakkie a few more times than I thought 🤣

• 1 year later...

Okay first timer here 

Filled in the IRT12 , got the pdf and amazed at how much I'm getting back.

But how long after filling that thing out will i get the confirmation? 

Depends if you're being requested to supply support documents or not. Look for the ITA14 notice in your profile.

Payment is normally within 72 hours.

Edited by Frosty
Add ITa14 notice

15 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Okay first timer here 

Filled in the IRT12 , got the pdf and amazed at how much I'm getting back.

But how long after filling that thing out will i get the confirmation? 

Virtually immediately...

But then, as @Frosty said, you might get (auto) audited, so it may be "retracted" shortly thereafter.

Got to love the questionnaire at the end: "how can we make the filing experience easier?"

• 3 months later...