SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

I completed my assessment on 01/08 and I’m still waiting for my payment. The IT34a shows what’s due, with no further action required.

Same for me.

Filed in July as we are emigrating as soon as the borders open.

The audited and I sent everything right away. The assessed and I was paid this morning.

I did have to make 2 calls though and after every call the case moved on.

1st call to ask why my assessment is late when everything is received, assessment was finished that day.

2nd call was to say I can see the assessment is complete but no outcome, that same day my case was completed and I get payment now 2 days later.

They kept saying though that tax season, aside from auto assessment cases, only opens in September 2020. I at least have a valid reason for early submission.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about every year SARS and I have a disagreement RE the bank account they they need to refund me to.

Every time they tell me it is an invalid account, last year I went into the branch to resolve this, and they paid into the account.

This year I had the same issue. Then had to submit of photo of me with my id, a ref no on a piece of paper and the account in my hand ... you then get the "we will answer in 21 working days" story, to be told again in a letter that the account is not valid.

Call the center and you get nowhere with them. So I have changed my details on e-filing to a different account, and now have to wait again to see if this is accepted .... let's wait and see, as that money could be well used now.

snip...

They kept saying though that tax season, aside from auto assessment cases, only opens in September 2020. I at least have a valid reason for early submission.

I never paid much attention to the timelines, and September is only 11 sleeps away. Waiting for “bonus” cash is not a problem. This will have to go to 2021 school fees as my company has said there won’t be any bonuses paid this year.

Also got the auto assessment... Was less than expected but like some I had thoughts of just accepting and get that in my account post haste!

Sanity prevailed though and a quick chat to my 'tax guy' suggested that they would just do what they do for me every year and check, would take a bit longer but would it be worth it?

For sure! 4* the initial assessed amount in the SMS, assessment complete yesterday, no audit... Just waiting for the bank SMS now [emoji41]

He charges me 300ZAR, well worth it [emoji16]

No Audit yet............. They can and have changed their minds before. I have been audited after they have paid me!!!!!!! My last Audit was a random mid year audit and they wanted documents for a rental property that I had sold 5 years ago. I had to do some serious digging to get info. Went as far as searching the guy I bought it from on FB and sending him a message and I hit gold as he still had the OTP for the sale that happened in 2008!!! I sold this unit in 2015 because I was loosing money. I also did everything above board while renting it so I was not worried about any sort of fine but they actually should have paid me more after I sent them everything. A few days later they just responded with a very brief mail saying they happy and case closed. I wasn't bothered in arguing with them that they should in fact pay me.

Just about every year SARS and I have a disagreement RE the bank account they they need to refund me to.

Every time they tell me it is an invalid account, last year I went into the branch to resolve this, and they paid into the account.

This year I had the same issue. Then had to submit of photo of me with my id, a ref no on a piece of paper and the account in my hand ... you then get the "we will answer in 21 working days" story, to be told again in a letter that the account is not valid.

Call the center and you get nowhere with them. So I have changed my details on e-filing to a different account, and now have to wait again to see if this is accepted .... let's wait and see, as that money could be well used now.

Seems there are a lot of people with the bank account issue.

We were laughing at a work colleague just this week as he was told to send a selfie with his ID and we were all saying how ridiculous this was. Most of us didn't believe him but now seeing your post I do :D .

Seems there are a lot of people with the bank account issue.

We were laughing at a work colleague just this week as he was told to send a selfie with his ID and we were all saying how ridiculous this was. Most of us didn't believe him but now seeing your post I do :D .

When I questioned this with the call center (1h29min on hold) they said that the photograph was a security protocol, and that a "person" would be verifying the information.

Also got the auto assessment... Was less than expected but like some I had thoughts of just accepting and get that in my account post haste!

Sanity prevailed though and a quick chat to my 'tax guy' suggested that they would just do what they do for me every year and check, would take a bit longer but would it be worth it?

For sure! 4* the initial assessed amount in the SMS, assessment complete yesterday, no audit... Just waiting for the bank SMS now [emoji41]

He charges me 300ZAR, well worth it [emoji16]

Payment received today!

Question for all the experts here, Our medical aid used to come off my wife's account. Then when we had the twins and she stopped working I would pay money into her account every month. We then slowly started moving all her debit orders over to my account. In April last year the medical aid started coming off my account. So she got a tax certificate for March 2019 and I got one for April 2019 to February 2020. My wife obviously stopped paying tax in June 2018 so she can't claim for the 1 months medical aid. There was also R13k worth of expenses for March 2019 that the medical aid never paid for and we have the certificate from the medical aid stating this. Now I obviously paid for all this but can I claim it as it was in my wife's name for that 1 month. Can I load it under other medical expenses not reflected on a certificate(4034)?

Question for all the experts here, Our medical aid used to come off my wife's account. Then when we had the twins and she stopped working I would pay money into her account every month. We then slowly started moving all her debit orders over to my account. In April last year the medical aid started coming off my account. So she got a tax certificate for March 2019 and I got one for April 2019 to February 2020. My wife obviously stopped paying tax in June 2018 so she can't claim for the 1 months medical aid. There was also R13k worth of expenses for March 2019 that the medical aid never paid for and we have the certificate from the medical aid stating this. Now I obviously paid for all this but can I claim it as it was in my wife's name for that 1 month. Can I load it under other medical expenses not reflected on a certificate(4034)?

That is how I would do it, but I am no expert unfortunately.

They tend to dispute these.

I had a very big ambulance claim, R40k, a few years back. It went on for months until I eventually just let it go. The basis for their dispute was that ambulance transportation, under a doctors advice and insistence, was not a medical related expense...........

I had a very big ambulance claim, R40k, a few years back. It went on for months until I eventually just let it go. The basis for their dispute was that ambulance transportation, under a doctors advice and insistence, was not a medical related expense...........

Yeah I am sure they will dispute and I don't mind as I would do the same if in their shoes. I can send proof of my bank account paying Rx into my wife's account and her account receiving the same but still no guarantee they will accept it. I then start to wonder if its worth the schlep and rather just get paid the current amount they say they owe me. I just think the R13k odd will make a decent difference.

Yeah I am sure they will dispute and I don't mind as I would do the same if in their shoes. I can send proof of my bank account paying Rx into my wife's account and her account receiving the same but still no guarantee they will accept it. I then start to wonder if its worth the schlep and rather just get paid the current amount they say they owe me. I just think the R13k odd will make a decent difference.

As long as you have proof then it should be fine.

It is the same when it comes to child maintenance which SARS see's as income when it goes out as quickly as it goes in.......

The deduction goes to the person who pays the medical aid. You will need to upload the certificate as well as your bank statements showing the payment.

SARS doesn't always understand this and they raise assessments and one has to object. I have started uploading a letter with the supporting docs stating the sections of the IT Act which covers this. Since then, I have had no issues

The deduction goes to the person who pays the medical aid. You will need to upload the certificate as well as your bank statements showing the payment.

SARS doesn't always understand this and they raise assessments and one has to object. I have started uploading a letter with the supporting docs stating the sections of the IT Act which covers this. Since then, I have had no issues

So I added the amount under 4034. Clicked calculate and the amount they say they owe me went up by R4k. So I submitted. Lets see what they say, I have everything ready so when they do audit me I can actually reply instantly. If they still not happy then I will just accept the original amount. Some money back is better than paying in I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the below, So I assume i'll be getting my full refund. Lekker, glad they were happy with all the stuff I submitted.

Dear Taxpayer
VERIFICATION OF ASSESSMENT
We refer to the verification of the assessment for the 2020 tax period. Please note that no adjustment has been made to this assessment. However, in terms of the Tax Administration Act the South African Revenue Service reserves the right to conduct further reviews in future if required.

Just got the below, So I assume i'll be getting my full refund. Lekker, glad they were happy with all the stuff I submitted.

Dear Taxpayer
VERIFICATION OF ASSESSMENT
We refer to the verification of the assessment for the 2020 tax period. Please note that no adjustment has been made to this assessment. However, in terms of the Tax Administration Act the South African Revenue Service reserves the right to conduct further reviews in future if required.

Correct, well done.