2017 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR

Well sometimes you just wanted to savour the moment and have the time to reflect, or you might want to do something different because it's on you bucket list, or you could be just dam tired, I must tell you that the stars look completely different in the kloof from what it looks in Diemersfontein.

Sometimes me, myself and I just want to be alone, just to take in the whole experience, because tomorrow you're back in the rushing society needing to answer to everybody.......

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

+1 she probably slept out on purpose

As with her sleep out in Koedoeskop, she is clearly comfortable doing this. Although there she looped back up and was lost but I got the impression from her pic that she actually enjoyed the camping. Bear on mind this is her 3rd blanket, nothing about her is afraid of the dark or being alone in remote places. At age 60, my nominee for Stone Saddle Award and maybe even Rider of the Race although Martin's incredible effort may just steal the latter award.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, wrote my report for the day and now it looks like Estelle has decided to have a sleepy sleep next to the stream near the top of the kloof. Lots of places there to hide for the night, but its going to be chilly. Hope she gets going again.

Now I know who Tubed is. Enjoyed your writing thank you. :clap:  :thumbup:  

So that's a wrap for another year.

Well done to all the riders and for those who wrote the daily commentaries; tubed, Trackz and the others.

Now I know who Tubed is. Enjoyed your writing thank you. :clap:  :thumbup:  

thanks Carl - I have also just put two and two together, I am a fan too

AND that was a wrap for 2017! Now I see the 2018 entry for RASA is already available online at a R35k price tag. Wondering if there will be an early bird entry fee offered??

The experience of Freedom is priceless but eish! that blanket is becoming expensive! if I may add, like everything else.

I need to scheme a plan  :whistling:

AND that was a wrap for 2017! Now I see the 2018 entry for RASA is already available online at a R35k price tag. Wondering if there will be an early bird entry fee offered??

The experience of Freedom is priceless but eish! that blanket is becoming expensive! if I may add, like everything else.

I need to scheme a plan  :whistling:

What was it this year?

Mine in 2008 was R9600, seemed like a lot at the time but it's been a lifelong memory.

Doing the quick sums, that's a ~265% increase over 10 years, which is about 14% each year.

thanks Carl - I have also just put two and two together, I am a fan too

ja, awesome stuff guys. really cool getting different perspectives each day from trail gurus.

What was it this year?

Mine in 2008 was R9600, seemed like a lot at the time but it's been a lifelong memory.

Doing the quick sums, that's a ~265% increase over 10 years, which is about 14% each year.

Rider #35

You will have to make a plan with you budget, because I will definitely not be riding....... 

Lesson learned this year :

• Don't leave the mittens, the weight a mere 100 g
  • Don't start riding at 1H00, rather ride till 3H00 and sleep then.
  • I need a Dyno Hub, battery lights take to long to charge.....
  • Need  to train properly
  • Need to start a savings plan for the next entry........

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Rider #35

You will have to make a plan with you budget, because I will definitely not be riding....... 

ja i think doing it every ten years is justifiable.

Lesson learned this year :

• Don't leave the mittens, the weight a mere 100 g
  • Don't start riding at 1H00, rather ride till 3H00 and sleep then.
  • I need a Dyno Hub, battery lights take to long to charge.....
  • Need  to train properly
  • Need to start a savings plan for the next entry........

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

dyno hub the way to go for sure.

what lights do you use? I thought a nightwarrior like you would be on AA batteries.

dyno hub the way to go for sure.

what lights do you use? I thought a nightwarrior like you would be on AA batteries.

Ay-Up and the one battery pack froze up in the -11 on the way to Chesneyworld, luckely Brad van der Westhuizen borrowed me his spare one at Gegun, otherwise I would be blind.....

Good news Steven you can pay over 6 months for you entry !!!!!!

Going to be lekke to watch your dot !!!!

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Edited by Marnitz Nienaber

Wish I had the opportunity to write a facebook post like this about race entry process, taken from the Race to the Rock facebook page, simply outstanding...... (bolding and italics mine)

There is a lot of interest in the Race to the Rock. This is a real problem. Too many people think they want to race, so I've reluctantly put an entry process in place. This is after consultation with the ring leaders. It seems common sense, self awareness and self-reflection have mostly left this modern world. The entry process will be there to protect you from yourself. If you don't like the entry process, that's fine; you're welcome to ride the route, or something similar, whenever you like. You can even start tomorrow.

The statistics don't lie. You probably don't want to enter, and you're probably not capable of completing, the Race to the Rock. You just don't know it yet and I'd hate for you to find out when you're out on the trail hundreds of kilometres from safety. It's safer, less painful and less soul destroying to remain a dot watcher.

The Race to the Rock is seriously tough. I don't expect many will finish. This is a genuinely tough event in the age of countless events pretending to be tough. Elements of risk have been watered down in most of today's events. Not here. Please do not enter Race to the Rock.

The entry process will start on 1 June 2017. If you really want to race, you'll figure it out. If you have a question about the entry process, please do not contact who you think the ring leaders might be on their personal email, Facebook or Instagram accounts. They probably won't respond.

Wish I had the opportunity to write a facebook post like this about race entry process, taken from the Race to the Rock facebook page, simply outstanding...... (bolding and italics mine)

There is a lot of interest in the Race to the Rock. This is a real problem. Too many people think they want to race, so I've reluctantly put an entry process in place. This is after consultation with the ring leaders. It seems common sense, self awareness and self-reflection have mostly left this modern world. The entry process will be there to protect you from yourself. If you don't like the entry process, that's fine; you're welcome to ride the route, or something similar, whenever you like. You can even start tomorrow.

The statistics don't lie. You probably don't want to enter, and you're probably not capable of completing, the Race to the Rock. You just don't know it yet and I'd hate for you to find out when you're out on the trail hundreds of kilometres from safety. It's safer, less painful and less soul destroying to remain a dot watcher.

The Race to the Rock is seriously tough. I don't expect many will finish. This is a genuinely tough event in the age of countless events pretending to be tough. Elements of risk have been watered down in most of today's events. Not here. Please do not enter Race to the Rock.

The entry process will start on 1 June 2017. If you really want to race, you'll figure it out. If you have a question about the entry process, please do not contact who you think the ring leaders might be on their personal email, Facebook or Instagram accounts. They probably won't respond.

when you finally launch the Tour de Tubed, consider me entered

when you finally launch the Tour de Tubed, consider me entered

I thought you were already part of the "ring leaders", ;)

Nice tactic to get people not to enter so you will be able to get an entry !!!