2017 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marnitz, kom in Marnitz.

Well done on your fastest ever time. seems like the big tyre* helped.

Amazing to see so many okes finish in a spurt, with some rain coming later today that was a nice move.

*not referring to his weskus boep

Thanks Shebeen, big tyre, extra 7 kilo's and a Pieter Stywestaan here and there helped.......

Promised myself I will never do it again, until I heard my lovely Ingelse wife told everybody at the finish that I will be back, really can't understand her reasoning.......

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Well done Marnitz, great ride.

Any specific reason why you chose that line through Stettyns?

It looks like Shane Little is doing his best to be first out and last in! He will be only finisher from Batch A, in if my maths is correct 23 days ~10 hours. 

that's still good going!

Thanks Shebeen, big tyre, extra 7 kilo's and a Pieter Stywestaan here and there helped.......

Promised myself I will never do it again, until I heard my lovely Ingelse wife told everybody at the finish that I will be back, really can't understand her reasoning.......

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

ja ja, same story different year - 7 blankets, bliksem!

They just wanted some extra hike-a-bike!

or just went for the 2nd nek, further but flatter.

he's done them all. got bored of the rest! 

Honestly, I hate hakia, I like riding on my own except if it's with Tim and for research purposes, might come in handy if you want to do a night approach in the far distant future.

Must tell you it's a moerse scenic and a lot of climbing, and it's not flat once your're on top, don't let Google Earth fool you, but Martin might have made it under 10 days if he picked the high route, my opinion.

The waterfall route is the fastest and the steepest, but you need to be 2 or have a rope to pull you bike up at some cliffs, once committed to the route you can't turn around and for sure no option for night approach........

The path that was cut halfway up the kloof makes it a bit easier, in the future it might be extended 2/3 of the way, which will then make it the fasted route... 

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Honestly, I hate hakia, I like riding on my own except if it's with Tim and for research purposes, might come in handy if you want to do a night approach in the far distant future.

Must tell you it's a moerse scenic and a lot of climbing, and it's not flat once your're on top, don't let Google Earth fool you, but Martin might have made it under 10 days if he picked the high route, my opinion.

The waterfall route is the fastest and the steepest, but you need to be 2 or have a rope to pull you bike up at some cliffs, once committed to the route you can't turn around and for sure no option for night approach........

The path that was cut halfway up the kloof makes it a bit easier, in the future it might be extended 2/3 of the way, which will then make it the fasted route... 

Thanks. 

I also thought Martin would have taken that route, especially at night.

A 700m ascent in around 1.5km is not for the faint of heart!!

Hmmmm, wrote my report for the day and now it looks like Estelle has decided to have a sleepy sleep next to the stream near the top of the kloof. Lots of places there to hide for the night, but its going to be chilly. Hope she gets going again.

Eina that must have been a long cold night for Estelle, I see she is moving about this morning.

Just hope she has her bike with her.

Eina that must have been a long cold night for Estelle, I see she is moving about this morning.

Just hope she has her bike with her.

Such a pity as she was at the start of the exit road

Such a pity as she was at the start of the exit road

I don't really understand this one - she must have known that she was out as she stopped on the track, and it was only 6pm when she stopped.  From there you're pretty much home.  Maybe she just wanted a night in the kloof to savour the experience?  

I don't really understand this one - she must have known that she was out as she stopped on the track, and it was only 6pm when she stopped.  From there you're pretty much home.  Maybe she just wanted a night in the kloof to savour the experience?  

I'd guess its just pure exhaustion, as you say she stopped on the track, so she would have known where she was. Looking at how long it took her to get up and out of the kloof from the time she crossed the bottom gave an idea of just how slow she was moving.

Its been a while since Stettyns has seen this much traffic, almost looks like the G group in the Argus fighting for position before the final sprint for the line.

Seriously though, I think the organisers got the batches well sorted this year, or perhaps its just a fluke that most of the riders were pretty strong this year and nobody was left lagging far behind.

post-1509-0-10755800-1498719043_thumb.jpg

This.

Well sometimes you just wanted to savour the moment and have the time to reflect, or you might want to do something different because it's on you bucket list, or you could be just dam tired, I must tell you that the stars look completely different in the kloof from what it looks in Diemersfontein.

Sometimes me, myself and I just want to be alone, just to take in the whole experience, because tomorrow you're back in the rushing society needing to answer to everybody.......

Archived