2017 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR

Spanner in the works.

I think this "race" will always  be available for those who want to do it, regardless of price.  

Some people just need to do rides of this nature and without them there would be no dots to watch.  I for one would miss the dot watching but not the riding.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spanner in the works.

I think this "race" will always be available for those who want to do it, regardless of price.

Some people just need to do rides of this nature and without them there would be no dots to watch. I for one would miss the dot watching but not the riding.

I do have to agree with Tubed & Sepia. The Freedom race will always be there for those who want to do it. And if there is debate in your mind about the costs but your desire to experience it is strong, one finds a way to make it happen. Still an awesome race! And privileged to have experienced it.

I think that the RASA office need to look at their cost structure.

Given the volume of riders that traverse the FC routes during the year in the various versions, in my opinion, there should only be a part-time race office. If in fact there are permanent employees, this is overkill. Yes, there are times that full time persons are warranted but they shouldn't be permanent positions.

With the increase in pricing, the value for money proposition starts to be weighed up and measured against other mutli-day stage race. Looking at it unemotionally, at the current price levels, it falls short.

Have you done mats in school?

If you want to compare then do so but epic vss full RASA is not the same time nor distance.

EPIC 37 500 ZAR 8 days  750 km

4 700 ZAR a day 50 ZAR a km

RASA 35 000 ZAR 20 DAYS 2 300 KM

1 750 ZAR a day 15 ZAR a KM

cape pioneer trek 17 500 ZAR 7 days 570 K

2 500 ZAR a day 30 ZAR a km

Race to Rhodes 9 200 ZAR 6 days 500 km

1 500 ZAR a day 18,5 ZAR a Km

But honestly its not hte same kind of event

Have you done mats in school?

If you want to compare then do so but epic vss full RASA is not the same time nor distance.

EPIC 37 500 ZAR 8 days  750 km

4 700 ZAR a day 50 ZAR a km

RASA 35 000 ZAR 20 DAYS 2 300 KM

1 750 ZAR a day 15 ZAR a KM

cape pioneer trek 17 500 ZAR 7 days 570 K

2 500 ZAR a day 30 ZAR a km

Race to Rhodes 9 200 ZAR 6 days 500 km

1 500 ZAR a day 18,5 ZAR a Km

But honestly its not hte same kind of event

My yardstick is certainly not the the Cape Epic which is an overpriced elitist event.

And yes, I did "mats" in school.

You guys and girls need to keep quiet about the cost, because if my pretty wife find out what the true cost is of a wonderful 7 year experience, I might end up riding around Africa for a very long time.

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

However I will always make a plan to return, selling scrap metal whatever, one just have to make a plan.

Point is that it is expensive, but one need to take in account that a fear bit goes towards the scholarship fund, rates increase at Support Stations, dot watchers wants improved dots.

I remember my first year the entry fee was half the value of my bike and basically the same price as the Epic, which one has to do but doesn't attract me like the Freedom, a priceless journey.

Sadly with the increase in bike prices the race attracts riders of a different kind, which is sometimes difficult to host in their hast to buy a blanket, most of these kind will not finish and those who do will be humbled into a different breed.

Luckily  for us mere mortals we could always make a plan, and if you can't make it next year, there are always the year after, every blanket is always well worth the money spend, I have never heard any finisher complaining about the entry fee......

While we're on the topic, I need to accumulate a entry fee for next three years, I promise you  your monies will be well spend, so if you have got some extra you could always spend it on my entry... 

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

You guys and girls need to keep quiet about the cost, because if my pretty wife find out what the true cost is of a wonderful 7 year experience, I might end up riding around Africa for a very long time.

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

However I will always make a plan to return, selling scrap metal whatever, one just have to make a plan.

Point is that it is expensive, but one need to take in account that a fear bit goes towards the scholarship fund, rates increase at Support Stations, dot watchers wants improved dots.

I remember my first year the entry fee was half the value of my bike and basically the same price as the Epic, which one has to do but doesn't attract me like the Freedom, a priceless journey.

Sadly with the increase in bike prices the race attracts riders of a different kind, which is sometimes difficult to host in their hast to buy a blanket, most of these kind will not finish and those who do will be humbled into a different breed.

Luckily  for us mere mortals we could always make a plan, and if you can't make it next year, there are always the year after, every blanket is always well worth the money spend, I have never heard any finisher complaining about the entry fee......

While we're on the topic, I need to accumulate a entry fee for next three years, I promise you  your monies will be well spend, so if you have got some extra you could always spend it on my entry... 

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

You make a very valid point with regards to the Scholarship Fund.

What portion of the entry fee goes to the Scholarship Fund?

If potential entrants where made aware of that % then I'm sure that would make the decision making process easier. Just like races organised by KZN Wildlife, they tell you exactly what % (or ZAR value) of the entry is going back into the running of KZN Wildlife. Then you don't mind the higher than normal fee as you feel that you making a difference and not just filling someones bank account.

If a portion of the entry fees where donated to the Scholarship Fund, why was a separate raffle dedicated to the Scholarship Fund run?

If a portion of the entry fees where donated to the Scholarship Fund, why was a separate raffle dedicated to the Scholarship Fund run?

Guessing here, perhaps the hype of RASA was a perfect opportunity to raise much needed funds

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

In trying to prep for a little 5 day trip, what waterproof kit do you guys take ? Specifically to keep the rain and wind off?

Cape Storm Rain Jacket (with a hood) and First Ascent waterproof pants. (Good compromise between cost and function).

Sealskinz socks.

Please come and ride up this way, we need the rain ;)

Can anybody maybe supply me with the map sets from this year's RTR. I would like to study them while waiting for next year's maps to be released

I don't know what maps they use for this, but you can get digital versions of the 1:50000 topographical maps from any of the NGI offices for free, Just take a hard drive, you can even get one that has them all stitched together, from this you can plan routes etc using an opensource GIS program such as QGIS.

You can overlay latest satellite imagery, kml's from previous year's routes, open cycle map, open street map, etc etc.

FC supply maps with the route indicated as well as the narratives. I had it but lost it when my computer was replaced. 

• 2 months later...

Archived