Amateur 3D Printing

Schmorglebot

22 minutes ago, Kom said:

I like this design, but the bikes don’t work in this orientation, I don’t want to remove seatposts. The moment you turn the bikes you can’t use the rail, mount options limited. I think my design is optimal for my needs.

IMG_0611.jpeg

SUV's are not tall enough for extended seat posts.

With a MTB the dropper seat post helps 👍

Certainly no one size fits all.

I must have spent many hours moving the bikes about before settling on my layout.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kom said:

Looks like a winner after adding alot more footprint and material.

destructive tests succeeded, lets see how it lasts with some long term use.

IMG_4625.jpeg

IMG_4626.jpeg

IMG_4627.jpeg

Smart! Looks great. Maybe add a couple of gussets...

Screenshot 2024-03-27 114424.png

5 hours ago, Jono said:

Smart! Looks great. Maybe add a couple of gussets...

Screenshot 2024-03-27 114424.png

You took the thought straight out my head @Jono 👏🏼

V3 will definitely have the gussets and a slight raise on the axle height, i may have shaved to close to the bone for the Crux, the Diverge didnt fit.

16 hours ago, hansolo said:

I bought some of these brackets off Temu, way cheaper than Holdfast and decent quality.

https://share.temu.com/HAeFwInTRFA

I honestly thought temu was a scam, did the items actually arrive?

How have you used these mounts? The axle mount is quite high from the base plate, that 30mm counts for internal bike usage. Assuming you're using for a bakkie.

Items arrived and delivered to my work by a courier. Using them in the back of a bakkie, my previous mounts was higher from the baseplate than these and they have more axle adaptors. 

Quite a bit cheaper than Holdfast and if it can work for you it might be an option.

All this makes me think is that more people need to learn how to weld. Take 4 offcuts of 5mm flat bar cut with a grinder, weld them together and drill the appropriate holes and you have a similar mount for next to nothing cost wise...

47 minutes ago, dave303e said:

All this makes me think is that more people need to learn how to weld. Take 4 offcuts of 5mm flat bar cut with a grinder, weld them together and drill the appropriate holes and you have a similar mount for next to nothing cost wise...

But is it cool as this dave ... 😝

image.jpeg.512b33e4cd2761db692d5df34d69559c.jpeg

3 hours ago, hansolo said:

Items arrived and delivered to my work by a courier. Using them in the back of a bakkie, my previous mounts was higher from the baseplate than these and they have more axle adaptors. 

Temu has alot that im keen on - thanks for the tip!

1 minute ago, Kom said:

But is it cool as this dave ... 😝

image.jpeg.512b33e4cd2761db692d5df34d69559c.jpeg

it won't end up looking like this...

image.png.68c6b1381e5200545ffd922239a0e902.png

Also I am more of a fan of this look:

image.png.b6540a8ef80d391a60f957ec48a05173.png

3 hours ago, dave303e said:

it won't end up looking like this...

image.png.68c6b1381e5200545ffd922239a0e902.png

Also I am more of a fan of this look:

image.png.b6540a8ef80d391a60f957ec48a05173.png

Ag nee man Dave, you belong in the pro welding thread, this is for us hackers with plastic printers 🖨️ 😁

On 3/28/2024 at 3:23 PM, Kom said:

Ag nee man Dave, you belong in the pro welding thread, this is for us hackers with plastic printers 🖨️ 😁

No I do see huge value in 3d printing and certain things made from 3d printers. But there is a time and a place for a 3d printed plastic part, and then there is a place to take out a welder and grinder and do it with steel/aluminum.

One of my favorite gadgets is a little 3d printed dust catcher for when you drill holes in walls, I have 3 different sized ones and they are perfect for it. I have also printed a few cones to turn 40 litre buckets into fly traps on the farm.

But when you have 10kg of bike(and many thousand rands) mounted with plastic and you have an accident, it won't be fun having that bike come join you in the front seat because the mount is made of plastic. That is more the concern I had with the above.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:30 PM, KK said:

I am wanting to get the following 3d printed.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/knot-handlebar-garmin-support

I was going to print that for fun, then realised it had a $1 fee ....

Id be very cautious using this design for anything heavier than a 530/540. The 1030/1040 would definitely break that on a rough surface.

Attached images are a replica of the canyon 3D mount which took quite a bit to break in the stress test, but honestly my discovery on resonance based breaks makes me doubtful on these use cases, and they look ugly on a nice bike.

IMG_4100.HEIC IMG_4103.HEIC IMG_4109.HEIC

Edited by Kom