Behaviour Change Challenge - 2016

Tubehunter

Behaviour Challenge - 2016  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will you give this an honest attempt for the week?

• Yep, I'm in, let's do eeeeeeet!
    • If I remember when I ride, I'll try....
    • Won't that mean I'm riding and waving ALL the time?
    • Can't be bothered actually! I DO OWN the road

Following from the cradle thread how about a challenge? Let's see who is game!

(Original thread: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/163139-cradle-incident-know-this-cyclist/?st=0)

For the next week, when you cycle do the following:

- Use hand signals whenever you are doing something on the road, so that motorists coming up behind you do not have to anticipate or guess what your actions are. In the situation that this whole event is based on, show that you are taking a lane outside of the yellow line when you want to overtake a slower cyclist so that cars approaching know what to do.

- When they and any car that overtakes you gives you space, Pick up your hand and give them a thumbs up! They are watching in the rear view mirror. With a little luck you'll get them to smile and with a lot of luck the next vehicle approaching you from behind will have seen the exchange and give you the same thing!

- Smile at people in cars where you have the opportunity to. Red lights are the bomb for this! They will realise you are HAVING FUN while riding and probably catch some of that fire in the moment of your brief interaction! This will have a profound affect on their next cyclist interaction!

- Start learning to trackstand so that each time you have to stop it's not a mission, but an opportunity to enhance the skill! (https://www.google.c... to track stand)

- When driving your car, drive to the rules and be the change we seek! (As per RocknRolla's good suggestion!)

Have a real go at this for a week and come back and tell us whether you notice any change on your rides! I dare you!

Edited by Tubehunter

- Use hand signals whenever you are doing something on the road, so that motorists coming up behind you do not have to anticipate or guess what your actions are. In the situation that this whole event is based on, show that you are taking a lane outside of the yellow line when you want to overtake a slower cyclist so that cars approaching know what to do.

- When they and any car that overtakes you gives you space, Pick up your hand and give them a thumbs up! They are watching in the rear view mirror. With a little luck you'll get them to smile and with a lot of luck the next vehicle approaching you from behind will have seen the exchange and give you the same thing!

- Smile at people in cars where you have the opportunity to. Red lights are the bomb for this! They will realise you are HAVING FUN while riding and probably catch some of that fire in the moment of your brief interaction! This will have a profound affect on their next cyclist interaction!

If you don't already do these basic things then maybe you should stick to indoor training... Live you life in a gym or on the couch...

No problem for me except smiling at the motorist part I do most of it.

Not a master of the track stand. This  past Saturday  I fell down while attempting track stand, if the lady in the 4x4 was not paying attention and was on a cell perhaps she would not have waited for me to get up when the light went green.

Only the ego got bruised.

If you don't already do these basic things then maybe you should stick to indoor training... Live you life in a gym or on the couch...

Agreed. Overtake, change lanes and turn without hand signals at your own peril.

Can you amend the OP, that when cyclists are in their vehicles, we should not drive over the speed limit, use indicators. Stop on amber, yield for pedestrians and in general obey the rules of the road.

With the amount of cyclists out there who also uses vehicles, setting an example on the roads both in the car and on the bike will have a positive impact on all road users.

Dont wait for the other guy to change behavior first... be the other guy first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you amend the OP, that when cyclists are in their vehicles, we should not drive over the speed limit, use indicators. Stop on amber, yield for pedestrians and in general obey the rules of the road.

With the amount of cyclists out there who also uses vehicles, setting an example on the roads both in the car and on the bike will have a positive impact on all road users.

Dont wait for the other guy to change behavior first... be the other guy first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I got a lekker honk from some tool in his Jag XF the other day. I had the temerity to let someone over the pedestrian crossing at the m5 koeberg interchange. I mean, how DARE I.