26er

I recently had a sound on my bike, sort of like a scratching sound each time I pedalled, but only on the downward motion of the non-drive side pedal... the sound was intermittent also when the non-drive side pedal arm was kept in the down position, I adjusted the brake calipers more in the open position from the rim on the front first then the rear, eventually sound went away.... for the life of me, it didn't make sense but that worked... was about to end my ride when that happened!!! Luckily I didn't... good luck with your ordeal....

Edited by ZakAttak

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a thread hijack (and ironic, too, as press fit BBs have dispensed with the thread altogether). But:

I have a 2015 S-Works Tarmac. Not that old, as you will appreciate, and it has a Ceramicspeed press fit BB which has creaked much of the time I have had it.

Anyway, pulled it all apart the other day and discovered the drive side bearing is totally shot, which came as a surprise as I rarely ride in the rain.

But more surprising was the 'looseness' of the press fit - I could get both sides out without the use of a bearing puller.

Biggest surprise of all was the cost of a new Ceramicspeed BB.

So now...is epoxying a new set of bearings only into the pressed in cups an option? PureSavage, I suspect you might have an answer for me...thanks.

Specialized have nylon cups that are epoxied into the frame, these nylon cups house the bearings so yes not uncommon for them to be re-glued as the epoxy is non-permanent - the thinking is that if you were to seize a bearing it will damage the cup and not the frame...

Problem is though with it not being a permanent fixture it can and does work loose and will need to be re-glued to try and alleviate the creaks - sometimes it may not be the BB so try looking elsewhere.

I had a client once that swore blind that his BB was creaking, we went thru everything over and over, until l asked the question "how old are your cleats?" to which the snap back was it cannot be the cleats - its the BB. I gave him a set of new cleats to humor me - guess what? No more creaks.... 

Bit of a thread hijack (and ironic, too, as press fit BBs have dispensed with the thread altogether). But:

I have a 2015 S-Works Tarmac. Not that old, as you will appreciate, and it has a Ceramicspeed press fit BB which has creaked much of the time I have had it.

Anyway, pulled it all apart the other day and discovered the drive side bearing is totally shot, which came as a surprise as I rarely ride in the rain.

But more surprising was the 'looseness' of the press fit - I could get both sides out without the use of a bearing puller.

Biggest surprise of all was the cost of a new Ceramicspeed BB.

So now...is epoxying a new set of bearings only into the pressed in cups an option? PureSavage, I suspect you might have an answer for me...thanks.

Specialized have nylon cups that are epoxied into the frame, these nylon cups house the bearings so yes not uncommon for them to be re-glued as the epoxy is non-permanent - the thinking is that if you were to seize a bearing it will damage the cup and not the frame...

Problem is though with it not being a permanent fixture it can and does work loose and will need to be re-glued to try and alleviate the creaks - sometimes it may not be the BB so try looking elsewhere.

I had a client once that swore blind that his BB was creaking, we went thru everything over and over, until l asked the question "how old are your cleats?" to which the snap back was it cannot be the cleats - its the BB. I gave him a set of new cleats to humor me - guess what? No more creaks.... 

There we go, I never had an issue with the bearing cup. If it was creaking it was because I had ridden with rain in winter. 

I had clicking if I did not have proper greased threads to pedals and also that little washer between pedal and carbon crank. 

And then here is also a recall out or on the way on tne Vias, something to do with the rear dropout causing the seatstays to depart...

http://miletichphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v134/p865536742-5.jpg

I have seen those pics before, and to me the untrained engineer/bicycle mechanic/composites "expert" that joint doesn't look like it was thought out...there is no strength apart for the glue bond. And the shear forces must be massive on that bond....

And then here is also a recall out or on the way on tne Vias, something to do with the rear dropout causing the seatstays to depart...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/specialized-recall-my16-venge-vias-s-works-and-pro-level-frames-r5670

"WHAT IS THE ISSUE: Specialized has received isolated reports from the field of the rear wheel coming out of the rear dropouts, which can cause fractures in the rear triangle. When this happens, there is a risk of injury as a rider may lose control and fall."

wow that's usually a pic associated with a chinarello.... :eek:

but at least they are owning the error and doing a recall :thumbup:

wow that's usually a pic associated with a chinarello.... :eek:

but at least they are owning the error and doing a recall :thumbup:

Chinalized