Win 1 of 2 Absa Cape Epic team entries with USN

News bot

Also only halfway....quick spin today after work and some long rides this weekend. I have n+1 where n=0 and 1=MTB....

:eek:

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  jeez did I miss something or is it only necessary to complete the challenge i.e. 500k's in 2 weeks? When I look at some okes number of rides and kilometers it would appear that there is a thought that the more you do the better chance you win  :whistling:  or the most kilometers wins  :blink:

150km to go in a day and a half.  For roadies, Rule #5. For MTBers, still rule 5 - http://notsoseriouscyclist.blogspot.co.za/2011/01/rules-for-mountain-bikers.html

So the 3rd challenge sounds the toughest. Been trying to figure out where / what (Gauteng). Here's what I have so far:

1. Breedts Nek from Hekpoort: 500m over 25km. 250m of that climbing is in the last 5km from the last t junction. going up from the old shebeen side is another 350m. so over the top to the shack and back 4 times. 80km meets the min.
  2. Northcliff Hill - Beyers to Water Tower - 130m over 2km. 20 repeats. 80km.
  3. Suikerbos - I haven't ridden there but looks like with 120km of riding could hit 2500m doing the southern loop and then a few loops of the northern section if that's possible.
  4. WTF hill in Pta - 100m over 1.5km. 25 repeats. 75km distance.

what else is there?

Can imagine the numbers are going to drop on in November at the end of this!

187 completed Challenge 1 so far with a few more to come by tomorrow.

Finished mine yesterday afternoon (AM and PM ride). This was a difficult challenge as I'm doing 2 x HIIT classes a week at Cadence Tyger Valley which are not aloud to be logged = the legs are shot! :D

150km to go in a day and a half.  For roadies, Rule #5. For MTBers, still rule 5 - http://notsoseriouscyclist.blogspot.co.za/2011/01/rules-for-mountain-bikers.html

So the 3rd challenge sounds the toughest. Been trying to figure out where / what (Gauteng). Here's what I have so far:

1. Breedts Nek from Hekpoort: 500m over 25km. 250m of that climbing is in the last 5km from the last t junction. going up from the old shebeen side is another 350m. so over the top to the shack and back 4 times. 80km meets the min.
  2. Northcliff Hill - Beyers to Water Tower - 130m over 2km. 20 repeats. 80km.
  3. Suikerbos - I haven't ridden there but looks like with 120km of riding could hit 2500m doing the southern loop and then a few loops of the northern section if that's possible.
  4. WTF hill in Pta - 100m over 1.5km. 25 repeats. 75km distance.

what else is there?

Can imagine the numbers are going to drop on in November at the end of this!

187 completed Challenge 1 so far with a few more to come by tomorrow.

Ja, I am also wondering. Thanks for the stats. My mind is on Breedts.....less repeats but will see. There is also a loop in Kyalami that can work but have not figured it out yet.

Done yesterday, thankfully as I have been booked off ill for the next 3 days .... the doctor said something about checking with my wife that I have not been on a bike  :eek:

Ja, I am also wondering. Thanks for the stats. My mind is on Breedts.....less repeats but will see. There is also a loop in Kyalami that can work but have not figured it out yet.

Near Blue Hills, through the veld.... ?

Commuting has been a big help for me - two 150+ weekend rides didn't do me harm either. I'm also wondering how to get my ascent for the 3rd challenge - more that I can't decide my route. I love living in the Cape #hillsfordays

Near Blue Hills, through the veld.... ?

Not 100% sure what the area is called but you can go as follows:

• Start at Rose Road and do the single track climb up to Mane Road
  • Follow Mane, right into Coach and then right again down Trotting Close, up with Village Road past Blue Hills College up to Summit Road
  • From here downhill on Mane, left in Coach and then climb left in Trotting Close back up to Summit.
  • Big loop, small loop, repeat. I reckon it is about 12km with 250m ascent? Will measure it next weekend and see.
  • 10 repeats :eek:
Edited by Lighthouse

I didn't complete this challenge and even with this afternoon's ride after work i won't make it... Unfortunately my work interfered a bit, so i won't be in contention for winning an entry, even if i complete the 3 remaining challenges, but i like to enter these sort of challenges to somehow challenge myself. 

Will definitely give the 3 remaining challenges a go. Good luck to all who completed challenge 1 and in it to win it!!!