What hydration pack for MTB

Ballie44

The ones I have seen have all had a slider - like this - absolutely might be different on different models - but very similar to the evoc one I had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LeNphErlE

That slider type bladder seems to be the new version. Osprey's website no longer shows the screwtop type like SpecialK's that I also have.

Pity....I can see how the slider is more prone to contamination and the sliding/folding parts will wear. I don't see this reservoir outlasting the previous type.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so courier Dropped off Camelbak classic 2l , very small for a 100Kg guy  ;-) 

and not enough storage  

V12man you were right , will be returning it for the Lobo ;-) 

Ok so courier Dropped off Camelbak classic 2l , very small for a 100Kg guy ;-)

and not enough storage

V12man you were right , will be returning it for the Lobo ;-)

2l is not a lot for a 100kg lad in the prime of life... a hot day and you will run dry quickly.... and your rain jacket takes a lot more space than mine.. you should be ok with a lobo.

2l is not a lot for a 100kg lad in the prime of life... a hot day and you will run dry quickly.... and your rain jacket takes a lot more space than mine.. you should be ok with a lobo.

2kg on your back can be uncomfortable on a warm day ..It is heavy and hot .You still have the 2 bottles that can carry 1.5L .I only put 1Liter clean water in the pack and mix in the bottles .A hydration pack is difficult to keep clean ,but is handy when the trail keeps your arms really busy

Smile I have learnt the hard way to just use mainly just clean water in pack  !!! or just hydrate tabs and wash out early,  than high concentrate mix in one bottle and clean water to wash off stuff with or reserve in other.

Was tinkering with smaller pack for stage races with water points but will stick to a slimmer 3l pack than current and better fill port for the fumble anr rush at water points .

Main share is for OP and help his choice ;-) 

Edited by Milosh

Love my Camelbak Rouge. 2L and some nice storage but much smaller and lighter than my Mule I use on the Offroad Motorcycle. I'm a huge fan of Camelbak and have used them throughout my family. Think we have about 8 at the current moment. I've no experience with other brands so can't comment on them.

I love watching people struggle through marathon rides, pockets full, tubes and bottles taped all over the bike. Stopping at every water point trying to fill up their bottles. Then trying to hold a bottle and drink on a singletrack decent.

Hydration pack is easy, comfortable and you can sip away all day. Then when it gets warm you have a lekker spot for your jacket. And of course you always arrive back at your car WITH your car keys.

• 2 months later...

I haven't done Sani yet, so this question might seem ignorant.

Do you really need a hydration pack?

My setup is phone, keys and pepper spray(training rides mostly) in one pocket. 2x bombs + tyre lever in the next, and last pocket I pack with 1 racefood bar per hour of ride. (4hr ride = 4 bars)

I have a nice tool holder under my saddle which holds a multi tool and the samurai plug and reamer in the handlebar. Spare tube taped to frame.

I have experimented a bit and found if I drink about 500ml - 1l before the race and immediately after again 2 bottles are enough for rides up to 100km (without wanting for fluids or starting to suffer from dehydration symptoms)

Edited by Jurgens Smit

So i have a 5 year old Camelbak Rogue. The reservoir o-ring is f#####. It leaks like an old Landy. Can one buy the o-rings or are they replaced under warranty?

I have a Camelback Lobo and wont ride without it for a few reasons.

1. you dont get dirt/poop in your water when riding ..like you do on bottles

2. you water/juice stays cooler for much longer

3. hands can stay on the bars

4. they dont eject themselves off the bike when you hit the real bumpy stuff

my 2c worth

I have a LOBO and completely agree. I hate drinking warm water through mud/poo/bugs... I have a smaller CamelBak too but if I know a ride will be 40 or 50km plus, it's a no brainer. Water, tools, tubes, and usually a banana or two.

I've done some hard rides in hot temperatures where I have emptied the 3l bladder on the ride and had to refill it. So clearly I drink a lot of water on long rides and I know a couple of 500ml/750ml bottles just won't cut it for me.

Edited by Sidersky

But surely you only really go 10 to 12km between waterpoints?

And even on the hottest of days, 1.5l of water for 12km should suffice.......

A small multitool with chainbreaker, chainlink, bomb+adapter and some emergency energy is surely all you need on the bike for a race?

Tape a tube to your frame, bomb plus adapter to the tube, multitool in a pocket or on top of the top tube by the seatpost and boom.... 

No hot, stuffy backpack that takes 10 times longer to refill.

I dunno.... I have a camelback mule for when I need to carry the kitchen sink on long training rides or whole day out at Jonkers etc... but for races 1x 750ml bottle and some tape usually does just fine

But surely you only really go 10 to 12km between waterpoints?

And even on the hottest of days, 1.5l of water for 12km should suffice.......

A small multitool with chainbreaker, chainlink, bomb+adapter and some emergency energy is surely all you need on the bike for a race?

Tape a tube to your frame, bomb plus adapter to the tube, multitool in a pocket or on top of the top tube by the seatpost and boom....

No hot, stuffy backpack that takes 10 times longer to refill.

I dunno.... I have a camelback mule for when I need to carry the kitchen sink on long training rides or whole day out at Jonkers etc... but for races 1x 750ml bottle and some tape usually does just fine

My previous bike had no water bottle mount and current bike only one. I need more water than 750ml. Most of my rides are 30km +. Agree at races that regular water tables make it easy to carry less but for day to day I prefer a hydration pack. Lobo for years but just got a Volt. Great. Lumbar reservoir has a lower more natural fit, pack has more capacity and easier to fill. pockets on belt mean that I don't need to stop and take the pack off to stow my keys or get my phone out or grab a goo/bar.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I still don't see the need. If you need more water add another bottle cage to the bike. When we rode from Knysna to Ctn we were good with 3 x 750 ml bottles on the frame. OK we had back packs to carry all our other stuff so there was no space for a bladder in any event.

I got and still have one from my 1st Epic, after that ride I never used it again, including the next 2 Epic's and may looong Audax rides. So in short I do not see the need and they are heavy and hot and you pack too much in them that is not needed.

• 2 years later...

Lets revive an old thread.

Looking for a dual bladder hydration pack of about 2 L capacity for water and energy drink. Anyone seen them locally ?

Lets revive an old thread.

Looking for a dual bladder hydration pack of about 2 L capacity for water and energy drink. Anyone seen them locally ?

Madmarc ask the guys on the short sock forum, they know where all the best bladders are :whistling: