Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Many seem to be doing Durban as their first 70.3 so I think the percentage on just normal road bikes will be higher, probably 60% or more.

If as you say you are a good cyclist, then the road leg will be completed in 2:30hrs +/-15mins.  It is not a difficult course, fairly flat and undulating.

Just having clip on tri bars for a little aero position will give some gains but you wont be in your natural road riding position and if you want full benefit then will need to drop bars on the steerer and move saddle up and forward.

If you just doing a once off, then just ride your road bike as is.

Better advise is to ensure that you pace yourself on the bike leg rather than treat it as a road race and save some for the legs

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the constructive feedback re tribars vs standard drop bars. I reckon I'll just ride my bike as is (standard road racing) and take it from there. (I'm not exactly planning on winning, so I'll stick with whats comfortable to me for now).

Race #974 for me.

Flip, this is getting real WAY to quick... Time to hit the last few sessions hard before the taper.

First one in 5years, going to be a huge mental game on race day for me

#1888 for me.

Looking forward to my 3rd. Taking leave for 2 weeks from tuesday so I will not be doing one bit of training over that time, but I cannot wait!!!

morning all,what do you guys recon the swim is going to be like swimming in the ushaka pier area compared to snake park beach ,will it relay make a big difference  if the see in on its head?

Hey Morne, yes it will make a massive difference even if the sea is calm, my swims at ushaka are always faster than snake park regardless of conditions.

Hey Morne, yes it will make a massive difference even if the sea is calm, my swims at ushaka are always faster than snake park regardless of conditions.

hi thanks for your feed back nice coming from a local,at lees we guaranteed a swim .and not a very expensive duathlon.

hi sleepyeyed

This is my first 70.3...and I am very nervous, especially for the swim leg. How does pool times and ocean times compare. No ocean experience, only a few open water swims. And the cycling leg...the profile on ironman webpage says 1060 m ascent, but then everyone talks about a gentle easy cycle.....sounds like you are a local so please assure us that it is not too hectic!!!!

I would seriously recommend you try and get some ocean swimming it. It's very different to pool swimming. The swell etc can be a bit nerve wracking if you're not confident. But staying in Gauteng that might be different.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback re tribars vs standard drop bars. I reckon I'll just ride my bike as is (standard road racing) and take it from there. (I'm not exactly planning on winning, so I'll stick with whats comfortable to me for now).

Agreed Stick to your normal road bike set up. Tri Bars wont make a difference to your time and might add some strain to your back. take it easy on the bike and save something for the run. Everyone gets this wrong on their first couple of Tri's. ha ha

hi sleepyeyed

This is my first 70.3...and I am very nervous, especially for the swim leg. How does pool times and ocean times compare. No ocean experience, only a few open water swims. And the cycling leg...the profile on ironman webpage says 1060 m ascent, but then everyone talks about a gentle easy cycle.....sounds like you are a local so please assure us that it is not too hectic!!!!

It is a gentle ride and went and checked the total ascent for the last 2 years.

I have it as 980metres which indicates a less than gentle ride but the road is so smooth and conditions so lekker you don't notice the ascent.(or Strava is incorrect). The ultra I did in march only shows 586 metres of climb along what is essentially the same route.

maybe someone else can  verify or dispute my strava readings

hi sleepyeyed

Hi corinda 

coming from a so so swimmer not the most experienced in the ocean ,i recon if you have done a phew open-water swims you will be OK ,getting in and out the surf is challenging on a ruff day but once you are in its very similar to open water ,a wet suit makes live much easier and the salt water gives you bit more buoyancy,the rolling start also make it less intense and settles the nerves,ad 10 min to your pool time for 1.9km and fall in with that time slot at the start good luck enjoy your race  

It is a gentle ride and went and checked the total ascent for the last 2 years.

I have it as 980metres which indicates a less than gentle ride but the road is so smooth and conditions so lekker you don't notice the ascent.(or Strava is incorrect). The ultra I did in march only shows 586 metres of climb along what is essentially the same route.

maybe someone else can  verify or dispute my strava readings

70.3 2015 - 597m

70.3 2016 - 648m