Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Still deciding, will see how I feel after Ironman.... having done 2 Durbs already am not overly excited about it... but might be different now they moving the swim leg down to Ushaka which should make the bike leg better.

I am doing the Durban Ultra this weekend , I very much doubt I will do the IM Durban. It all becomes expensive. I have also entered Weymouth in September so maybe a break after IM is needed.

No doubt FOMO will strike if I don't enter Durban though, all things considered Durban is a fantastic venue for a triathlon.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Women have wily ways of convincing their partners to the merits of any spend.... :devil:   use them

And that, ladies and gentleman is why I forked out toooo much money for the wife's new 735XT... Just because she wanted the blue/green one and the 920XT was too bulky

:eek: 

Does anyone know when entries for East London open? Sorry I know it is off topic. Want to do East London as my first and then Durban.

is it not open already?

I am doing the Durban Ultra this weekend , I very much doubt I will do the IM Durban. It all becomes expensive. I have also entered Weymouth in September so maybe a break after IM is needed.

No doubt FOMO will strike if I don't enter Durban though, all things considered Durban is a fantastic venue for a triathlon.

C'mon ICM...

Nike it!!!! (Just do it) :unsure: 

Taken from the FB page 

IRONMAN South Africa Hi Brad, that's correct - swim entry and exit will now be in the uShaka area. We will be releasing more info in the coming two weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/events/436672033339327/?active_tab=discussion

Thank you, i don't have facebook. 

Really happy to hear this as i would hate to have the swim cancelled. 

please keep us non-Facebook users up to date with any other happening. 

And that, ladies and gentleman is why I forked out toooo much money for the wife's new 735XT... Just because she wanted the blue/green one and the 920XT was too bulky

:eek:

Ahaha. Small world. Your wife and I have been chatting. 

Ahaha. Small world. Your wife and I have been chatting. 

Hahahaha that is a small world!!!

she is super chuffed with the ladies tri group on FB as it gives her someone to chat to and get some real insight... She couldn't wait to post the photo of her new toy

Changes to the course:

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/durban/course/top-5-things-to-know-about-the-2017-course.aspx#axzz4aXLrzJNY

TL;DR:

1) New Swim Course

2) Split Transitions

3) Short No-Overtake Zone on the Bike

4) M4 Fully Closed on Both Sides for Bike

5) Run Course and Red Carpet stays the same

Disaster waiting to happen, a 2km stretch along the promenade where kids, dogs and people none the wiser that an ironman event is going on, stand/cross/stop... unless this stretch is fully barricaded (which I doubt)... is bad enough trying to run this section as part of the run leg, now with athletes on bikes... no wonder they say you cannot sit on their tri-bars or pass

Edited by shaper

Disaster waiting to happen, a 2km stretch along the promenade where kids, dogs and people none the wiser that an ironman event is going on, stand/cross/stop... unless this stretch is fully barricaded (which I doubt)... is bad enough trying to run this section as part of the run leg, now with athletes on bikes... no wonder they say you cannot sit on their tri-bars or pass

IM took a lot of flack last year for not having a swim so they don't want a repeat. I thought Ultra had an elegant solution in that the swim could of had one of 3 different starts. Worse case scenario was a 4 km run to get yr bike then the run would of been shortened. Not needed but was clever.

2 km along promenade could be dangerous.

I don't think the promenade in general is a great idea.

While it sounds (and could be) a very sexy run along the ocean front, it just gets too congested and even chaotic in places with adults and children alike who have no idea nor regard for the race going past them.

It really needs some kind of barrier.

Don't miss our Facebook Live session with Paul Wolff, today at 17:30 SAST. Paul will talk through the changes to the Standard Bank IRONMAN 70.3 Durban swim and bike courses and answer your questions.

If you haven't yet seen the changes, take a look herehttp://ow.ly/DHcx309JAiX

Pulled off the Ironman South Africa Facebook page. 

• 1 month later...

Second ride on my bike today (long ride), and want to die. Saddle is killing me. Not feeling very confident with Durban being 56 days away and the Sun City sprint in two weeks. Going for a saddle fit at my LBS, so hopefully they can sort me out quickly. Starting to think I was a little too optimistic. IDT training may look good, but the speed and comfort does not translate 100% to the bike. 

How's everyone else's training going? 

Hi Guys and girls!

I would like to know if any of you know a company that manufactures tri suits, and that will be willing to make just 1 suit... saw some freaken good looking suits and I am not settling for my plain black kit again...HELP !!

been checking the hub and basically every site, but no luck at all...