Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

70.3 2015 - 597m

70.3 2016 - 648m

That's in line with the Ultra I did.

I went an checked Trirock back in 2014 and it also popped up with around 980metres. How can the differences be so large, weird hey.

Btw , the events have been done with 3 different watches.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went an checked Trirock back in 2014 and it also popped up with around 980metres. How can the differences be so large, weird hey.

2015 I used a 910XT, last year was a Fenix 3.... maybe barometric anomalies?

I think the routes are slightly different, if i remember correctly tri-rock took you to the 2nd circle almost into Ballito whereas IM turns you at the first circle at the towards the bottom of the climb.

hi sleepyeyed

This is my first 70.3...and I am very nervous, especially for the swim leg. How does pool times and ocean times compare. No ocean experience, only a few open water swims. And the cycling leg...the profile on ironman webpage says 1060 m ascent, but then everyone talks about a gentle easy cycle.....sounds like you are a local so please assure us that it is not too hectic!!!!

ushaka is a very safe place to swim, well protected by the harbour, the sea would have to be on it's head to not have a pleasant swim, as mentioned the ocean will generally be faster than a dam but slower than pool. I usually swim about 10-15 seconds per 100 slower than my pool times. Most people say Durban cycle is flat but it's far from it imo, it's not a hard cycle but it's undulating so for every up you get a down :) which keeps the times fast. If the weather plays it part and it usually does this time of year you'll have a stunning day.

Hi corinda 

coming from a so so swimmer not the most experienced in the ocean ,i recon if you have done a phew open-water swims you will be OK ,getting in and out the surf is challenging on a ruff day but once you are in its very similar to open water ,a wet suit makes live much easier and the salt water gives you bit more buoyancy,the rolling start also make it less intense and settles the nerves,ad 10 min to your pool time for 1.9km and fall in with that time slot at the start good luck enjoy your race  

Thanks a lot Morne!!!!

ushaka is a very safe place to swim, well protected by the harbour, the sea would have to be on it's head to not have a pleasant swim, as mentioned the ocean will generally be faster than a dam but slower than pool. I usually swim about 10-15 seconds per 100 slower than my pool times. Most people say Durban cycle is flat but it's far from it imo, it's not a hard cycle but it's undulating so for every up you get a down :) which keeps the times fast. If the weather plays it part and it usually does this time of year you'll have a stunning day.

Thanks a lot for your reply! looking forward.....

hi sleepyeyed

This is my first 70.3...and I am very nervous, especially for the swim leg. How does pool times and ocean times compare. No ocean experience, only a few open water swims. And the cycling leg...the profile on ironman webpage says 1060 m ascent, but then everyone talks about a gentle easy cycle.....sounds like you are a local so please assure us that it is not too hectic!!!!

If you have reasonable pool fitness you will not have a problem at uShaka. In fact, make the most of your oppurtunity to enjoy an open water swim, it is a wonderful experience out there.

the sea is very safe in that area, and the swell will most likely be negligible.Durban open water swimming in June is an awesome experience - the Dolphin mile event the other weekend was accompanied by a pod of Dolphins!

If you have reasonable pool fitness you will not have a problem at uShaka. In fact, make the most of your oppurtunity to enjoy an open water swim, it is a wonderful experience out there.

the sea is very safe in that area, and the swell will most likely be negligible.Durban open water swimming in June is an awesome experience - the Dolphin mile event the other weekend was accompanied by a pod of Dolphins!

thanks a lot Gurns. Sounds good!

Just aamoi I swim faster in the ocean than the pool. The lack of having to turn around at the end of each lap is a time saver for me. That and the increased buoyancy of the sea water. Yr times should be close.

Enjoy the swim, it's an amazing experience being out in the ocean swimming. And it's safe as houses esp if you wear a wetsuit.

Is the run course tough with alot of climbing ? 

Tough, that's up to discussion as you running on cement, Climbing, no, flat as you run along the beachfront. 

Is the run course tough with alot of climbing ? 

Run is flat which is physically harder on the body... there is only 1 little incline (not really worth mentioning) and is where you come out from the loop to Moses Mabhida Stadium back onto the Promenade.... otherwise all flat running up and down the beach front

Edited by shaper