Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Look at the Facebook comments that Donavan vanGelder/Cybercoach posted about the bike route and some of his other comments-I found it really helpful.   

That it will be a slog fest into the headwind on both return bike legs?

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to this one. I've had the shortest time to get into shape after a lazy festive season and its come together nicely.

What worries me most is getting unfairly penalised for drafting. If you get swamped by a few guys that already have warnings you could find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time whilst trying to hang back. The other thing about these busy courses is you do the right thing and drop back and someone comes by then you drop back again and the same thing happens again and again. In the past this has led to me losing a fair bit of pace.

But anyway I'm amped for the race.

That it will be a slog fest into the headwind on both return bike legs?

Why don',t you just 'make Lemons instead of Lemonade huh Shaper?   :w00t: Just messing with you....but yeah will have to save the legs on the return part. 

Edited by Wheelsuck

Here is  just a warning to anybody planning to suck my wheel come Sunday...expect a big gush of juice from my bottle in your face, followed by some choice words. Why enter if you going to cheat?

Thanks for this. My first ocean swim so the nerves needs all the calming it can get

If it was like last year it will be flat en vinnig-you shouln't worry. From the start just don't bang into the water at 100MPH have a easy trot and don,t fight it at the start. Waves will be gentle and try to get the group on your left if you,re breathing left and the opposite if you breathe right so you can align and sight easier. Immediately try to settle with a long easy stroke and breathing rythm. And then you are in the open. You will be fine-after the swim you are gonna wonder what the fuss was about.  If you can pop down on a day before the race at about your anticipated start time trot in -swim to the first bouy (if its there) and get a feel. There will be a lot of advice from the locals but just try to remember 3 big things that you have to do right on the day.   

Why don',t you just 'make Lemons instead of Lemonade huh Shaper?   :w00t: Just messing with you....but yeah will have to save the legs on the return part. 

A few forecasts show the wind reducing from a couple of days ago :)  Am guessing it will be similar headwind to last year.... and hopefully much less than it was for IMSA

And for the lemons... hammer it when you have the wind behind ;)

A few forecasts show the wind reducing from a couple of days ago :)  Am guessing it will be similar headwind to last year.... and hopefully much less than it was for IMSA

And for the lemons... hammer it when you have the wind behind ;)

I would take a direct head wind any day above a side wind.

Edited by Wil6

I would take a direct head wind any day above a side wind.

If the wind direction stays as forecast then it will be a direct headwind on the return legs

If the wind direction stays as forecast then it will be a direct headwind on the return legs

Perfect :thumbup:

So, looks like these hubbers are amped & ready to go this Sunday:

grafou

steve94 AWA #178

lurkerza #173

Nibali #602

Morne Heystek #1504

ADe #1683

shaper AWA #103

Wheelsuck #303

davidvh #1352

Wil6 #954

Grantc #2000

gurns #2021

@ndy #1503

let me know your numbers & anyone left out, I'll add you to the list so we can stalk follow your race.

Edited by amr63

Will this be on tv? If not, anywhere else where we can follow?

not sure if it's on TV; does not look like there will be video coverage on the Ironman event webpage, but there is a live commentary feed

also, the Athlete Tracker is here

hope this helps.

Here is  just a warning to anybody planning to suck my wheel come Sunday...expect a big gush of juice from my bottle in your face, followed by some choice words. Why enter if you going to cheat?

If you read Chrissie Wellington's book "A life without Limits" she had a novel way of dealing with wheelsuckers also involving a gush juice.  But in this case it had already been recycled through her bladder