Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Then my shoes are at T1 when I get back to T2  :blink:

Going to be some busy volunteers taking shoes back to T2 at Suncoast and you hope they get put in the right transition bag.

Am guessing because of split transitions it would just be a bike-run balls up.... urgh!!

Maybe a barefoot beach run to T1?

Or start at T1, run to T2 where the bikes and run bags will be.

On Facebook someone mentioned that they had no issues on the Dolphine mile surf swim that is the same swim as this one and was on the 5th of May. Let's hold thumbs it's going to be a normal IM70.3

Must say I'm feeling unmotivated to do my swim session tonight

Edited by Wil6

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Durban main beaches safe to use...

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/durban-main-beaches-safe-to-use-ports-still-contaminated-20190513

"The City would like to inform members of the public and the media that our beaches are safe to be used and the public is only asked to avoid the water at [the] Durban port," said municipal spokesperson Msawakhe Mayisela.

He added that 20% of the port was contaminated by sewage, but that a sewage pump would be used at the harbour on Monday."

Edited by _David_

Of course barefoot on the beach run. Give you some lekker blisters for the rest of the event... 

:cursing:

And the trash that has been washed up in the floods and the dumping of trash, let alone the pieces of c..p about the place. 

Safe to swim, says who and who's standards.

(The plume goes northwards from the harbor entrance with the aid of the inshore counter current) Visible from the air.

Edited by Sepia

And the trash that has been washed up in the floods and the dumping of trash, let alone the pieces of c..p about the place.

Safe to swim, says who and who's standards.

(The plume goes northwards from the harbor entrance with the aid of the inshore counter current) Visible from the air.

Agreed. I was in the area today and could smell it from far away. I am seriously considering to rather transfer my entry to the East London 70.3 in January. I hope I can do that.

Before the floods and Friday's spill (which has still not been contained) there was already sewage problems. I know of people who got sick after a recent dolphin mile race (which takes place where ironman has its swim) as well as at the durban ultra where the swim is further up at Suncoast.

So I would rather take responsibility for my own safety and not leave it to people who needs the event to proceed for commercial reasons to decide.

Is there anywhere we can keep up to date with this sewage incident.

Felling super bummed about this, was going to be my first 70.3, but don't want to invest in a wet-suit if we aren't going to swim.

Agreed. I was in the area today and could smell it from far away. I am seriously considering to rather transfer my entry to the East London 70.3 in January. I hope I can do that.

Before the floods and Friday's spill (which has still not been contained) there was already sewage problems. I know of people who got sick after a recent dolphin mile race (which takes place where ironman has its swim) as well as at the durban ultra where the swim is further up at Suncoast.

So I would rather take responsibility for my own safety and not leave it to people who needs the event to proceed for commercial reasons to decide.

Well here's the thing, there are reports of the water being safe and then reports that it's unsafe. Numerous groups went for swims in the same place the IM took place the past weekend, without any problems. I will first wait for official communications from IMSA before making a rash decision. 

But I don't think we will get 100% clarity on this before the race briefing on Saturday the 1st of June. I just hope that we will get a swim in. 

My plan is to see what the organisers of the Dolphin Mile Series do. Their surf swim is scheduled for the week before on 26 May and it takes place at the same beach where Ironman has its swim. They posted on their facebook page that they will monitor the situation and let us (their followers) know if the swim on the 26th will proceed.

If their swim proceeds the water is in all likelihood safe. They are locally organised and I trust their judgment. One will also be able to ascertain whether any of the swimmers on the 26th got sick afterwards which will make my decision for me.

Last weekends surf comp was called off. New pumps are apparently in and working though. I'm sure IM won't say much.

My plan is to see what the organisers of the Dolphin Mile Series do. Their surf swim is scheduled for the week before on 26 May and it takes place at the same beach where Ironman has its swim. They posted on their facebook page that they will monitor the situation and let us (their followers) know if the swim on the 26th will proceed.

If their swim proceeds the water is in all likelihood safe. They are locally organised and I trust their judgment. One will also be able to ascertain whether any of the swimmers on the 26th got sick afterwards which will make my decision for me.

To do what? Entries closes tomorrow, and by this time you should have done 95% of your training and made all the necessary sacrifices to get to this point.

Swim or no swim, I will be there

Swim or no swim, I will be there

Likewise.

That said, I will be very disappointed if the swim doesn't happen. I'd like my first 70.3 to actually be a 70.3 and not a 69.1...

Don't worry about things you can't control and go have fun! It will be a good day whether you swim or not - beats sitting on the couch.

Just received an sms stating that due to limited space, the race briefing will be on Facebook Live on Monday, 20 May @6pm.

Any tips on swimming goggles? My first pair that I bought I had no issues with. But it is scratched and nearing it's end.

I bought another more expensive pair, but the nose piece on these one's hurts me when swimming, and can't wear it for more than 20min.

Bought my 3rd pair, and they leak water in, no matter how tight or loose I adjust the straps. No I'm sitting with 2 almost new pairs, and considering doing Durban with my old pair as you can't see much in any case when swimming in the sea

Why do I get the feeling that they never planned that any other way??  Can save a bunch on marquee hire! The Expo will be lumped into the conference venue with registration.  Nice for them to save money but still keep hiking the entrance fees!