Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Thanks for this. My first ocean swim so the nerves needs all the calming it can get

So, how was your swim??

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As said, yesterday was slower than usual, but can confirm that it could be (partly) due to the fact that the swim was NOT 1900m. Everybody I know, including some past pro's, clocked in around 2100m. So that's around 10% more, making for an extra 10% in time too.

It was fun though!

As said, yesterday was slower than usual, but can confirm that it could be (partly) due to the fact that the swim was NOT 1900m. Everybody I know, including some past pro's, clocked in around 2100m. So that's around 10% more, making for an extra 10% in time too.

It was fun though!

Yip, when I looked at their Strava they recorded in excess of 2100 which puts the times into perspective,

Our entire group clocked 2100-2200m.  It's normal to clock a little long, historically I've measured very close to 2000m each time.  I assume it's because my lines aren't very efficient.

At the very first 5150 Ekurhuleni the big red buoys blew out in severe wind overnight and they didn't bother to measure again the next morning.  We all recorded 1900-2000m that day (vs standard Olympic 1500m).  They did apologize afterwards.

Perhaps something similarly silly occurred in Durban.  Or they recorded the distance while the tide was lower?  Must say I'll take a few extra 100m in the Ocean over the same in Germiston Lake any day

Remember that, I got out the water and thought what the hell as I was expecting a 25 minute and had 32 minutes. Happy days the 5150 in termites lake.

Well done to all those who competed yesterday! It was a tough day out in the prevailing conditions!! The swim was most definitely, long coupled with fighting the rip tide back in - or atleast it felt like that! The wind on the bike wasn't expected to that degree- especially the exposed section from Durban North to the close turnaround point. I also love how the race gets advertised as a PB friendly course - it's easier than East London but far from pancake flat! The rolling hills definitely sap the legs for the run

So, how was your swim??

It was the easiest part of the IM. Cant believed I stressed so much. Really enjoyed it thanks

Where to get the results?

Google does not bring any happiness in that regard.

The Ironman app has all the results. 

Well done to all those who competed yesterday! It was a tough day out in the prevailing conditions!! The swim was most definitely, long coupled with fighting the rip tide back in - or atleast it felt like that! The wind on the bike wasn't expected to that degree- especially the exposed section from Durban North to the close turnaround point. I also love how the race gets advertised as a PB friendly course - it's easier than East London but far from pancake flat! The rolling hills definitely sap the legs for the run

In this post you forgot to mention you won.

Congrats!

Well done with your WIN Ryan #MTD

It was my first ever Triathlon, and what a way to kick it of. I stressed way too much for the swim, and focused heavily on my swim training and in the process not enough on my cycling.

The swim was fun and enjoyed every meter of it. The transition from swim to bike was stupidly long and wasted a lot of time there.

Could not get my heart rate down on the bike, but felt good until I turned into that bastard of a head wind. My second lap on the bike I started to feel the pain in my legs, and the last bit of the course from the Umhlanga offramp had me fighting all the way to the finish.

The run leg is were it all went pear shaped. Started with a steady rhythm, but after 6km my right legs ITB started talking to me. It was directly caused by me not keeping within my limits on the bike.

Slowed down my pace and at 10km it was a sufferfest of 7min/km+ till the end. Lots of walking but luckily I made it in 6:15.

Got new respect for you tri athletes, and will see you in East london next year, and hopefully in PE if all goes well.

Slowed down my pace and at 10km it was a sufferfest of 7min/km+ till the end. Lots of walking but luckily I made it in 6:15.

Got new respect for you tri athletes, and will see you in East london next year, and hopefully in PE if all goes well.

Well done! Excellent time for your first. Lots and lots of hills training for EL... See you there next year. 

Congratulations!!! 

It was my first ever Triathlon, and what a way to kick it of. I stressed way too much for the swim, and focused heavily on my swim training and in the process not enough on my cycling.

The swim was fun and enjoyed every meter of it. The transition from swim to bike was stupidly long and wasted a lot of time there.

Could not get my heart rate down on the bike, but felt good until I turned into that bastard of a head wind. My second lap on the bike I started to feel the pain in my legs, and the last bit of the course from the Umhlanga offramp had me fighting all the way to the finish.

The run leg is were it all went pear shaped. Started with a steady rhythm, but after 6km my right legs ITB started talking to me. It was directly caused by me not keeping within my limits on the bike.

Well Done. 

Archived