#SpezIsGoingToFall Another Loyal Customer Lost

Patchelicious

I can top that one Grease Monkey I bought a new GT Zaskar Elite 29er in a labeled medium size. Never felt right on it tried everything stem length etc. Finally measured it after a while and found it was a large instead of a medium. QC sucks! Sold it and built another Cotic

That is shocking! Surely you could have used that as basis to get your money back?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the sideline it appears that the issue here is more about a few people than the product... and though we all know that bad people can damage a good brand, it is also only fair to be specific and give them, in this case Spez, a chance to fix the problem.

I believe Johan has played the game, and would not expect anyone to "resolve" a problem in an open forum. This is the interwebnet with plenty anonymous heroes - I would suggest anyone with a problem deal with it now that the door is open!

I deal with Complete in Bedfordview (Spez shop) and they have been great. As with any premium product, customers are (and should be) demanding, and Complete has been extremely positive.

On the bike technical points raised (and please understand that I am a complete idiot on these matters) the Epic and Camber are two VERY different bikes. Google is your expert! What I can tell you is that yes, the S-Works are expensive, but as a 'package' it must also be the most prolific bike spotted at the front of any MTB race out there. Just saying... So sort of the Hilux of MTBs.

So did you ever buy the 2FO's.....

No I didn't.

To be honest, I actually completely forgotten I'd asked them to get my size until I was writing that post earlier.

Now, I would like to preface this post by saying that I have always liked and bought their products.

What I have come to despise is their Concept Store attitudes.

About a year ago I made a promise to never set foot in a concept store again, I don't think The Grind counts ;)

My old man has however stayed true to his brand, until now that is. He has a problem, he owns 11 Spezes at last count, it's a cool problem though, but a problem none the less.

Recently, I made him jealous with my purchase of a Epic Sworks, and he fell for it, and then also wanted a new bike.

He was however more sensible than me and was into the Camber. So last week he went to his local Concept Store and asked to buy one, easiest sale in the history of sales.

The salesman on the floor was pretty adamant on pushing a 2016 Epic Sworks that he had on the floor to him. Old man insisted on the Camber to which the dude said that there wasn't stock and should buy this killer deal that was hanging on the wall. It was a deal never to be repeated and that he must take it. Effectively he wanted to sell him the old model Epic at the discounted price of R120k.

This created a bit of doubt in his mind and he went home. Home turned into a Hub classifieds session, where he found a few options. Ended up buying a mint 2016 Epic Sworks with extras for about 65% the cost of this "massive bargain"

Was a deal that couldn't be turned down type of thing.

His ass was however still itching for a Camber.

So he popped into a different Spez store, where the manager showed him on the system that there was in actual fact 4 Camber Sworks in stock in SA. WTF

Needless to say, they lost that sale too.

So this thread is not about moaning at a shop, but rather a heads up to Spez SA, sales guys are lying to make quick sales to the detriment of your brand.

I would propose that you train them to sell clients the bikes that they need/want not what they happen to have on the floor.

I feel for you dad but methinks you have an axe to grind with the concept stores and are winding this in to your dad getting a  pushy sales guy. THis isnt a Specialized product problem, its a  concept store issue. The two are different things.

You get pushy sales guys everywhere - not only in Concept Stores. So your case and linkage to the Concept Stores is tenuous to say the least. And Specialized is a great product - seems like your dad agrees.

Maybe you should change the topic to "Pushy sales guy loses sale" and go get some therapy for your concept store itch. The fact that a pushy sales guy occurs in a  concept store doesn't means they culture them there. They grow naturally in many bike shops,  they are not confined to concept stores. I am not the smallest guys so i am often mistaken for not knowing a thing about bicycles and as a result often have some guy trying to sell me the latest version of snake oil they have been told to offer to the public. And being a sales guy myself i often fall for their patter. But most times the average sales assistant poodles that work in a bike shop couldn't close a door never mind a deal. As your dad's case so eloquently proved.

FWIW - the guys in Cedar Square have slowly won me over - i have a lot of Specialized in my garage and have over time ridden their bikes almost exclusively for over 12 years. So my relationship is not in any way related to the concept stores. I have however visited a number of times in Cedar and have found them to be very helpful and engaging.

Agree the issue is that of the 'Concept Store', a construct designed to wow a first-time buyer with glitz and glamour.

We've seen this with other premium brands such as the Italian and German motor manufacturers and Harley Davidson. Specialized was the first cycling brand to introduce it and it will definitely work for them. With retail pricing of premium models approaching R150K this is a logical evolution of the LBS.

But the danger is you're NOT buying a German car where it pretty much will work for the next 10 years. Cycling is still heavily dependant on an after-sales service industry and with constant requirement for service and upgrades.

Chasing a once-off sale without due consideration of return business, as a business model, might well be very short-lived in the bicycling industry.

There is no going back from Sidi... spez shoes... not in the same league. (And yes I do own both)

I hate the concept stores - got told I was not good enough to ride an sworks... classic customer service...

Don't worry you not alone on this one. I don't look like I should ride a Spez.

Wanted an Alu frame and choice was between Spez Allez and CAAD10. Got shafted standing around a Spez store being ignored. So ... I ride a CAAD10 and love it.

I feel for you dad but methinks you have an axe to grind with the concept stores and are winding this in to your dad getting a pushy sales guy. THis isnt a Specialized product problem, its a concept store issue. The two are different things.

You get pushy sales guys everywhere - not only in Concept Stores. So your case and linkage to the Concept Stores is tenuous to say the least. And Specialized is a great product - seems like your dad agrees.

Maybe you should change the topic to "Pushy sales guy loses sale" and go get some therapy for your concept store itch. The fact that a pushy sales guy occurs in a concept store doesn't means they culture them there. They grow naturally in many bike shops, they are not confined to concept stores. I am not the smallest guys so i am often mistaken for not knowing a thing about bicycles and as a result often have some guy trying to sell me the latest version of snake oil they have been told to offer to the public. And being a sales guy myself i often fall for their patter. But most times the average sales assistant poodles that work in a bike shop couldn't close a door never mind a deal. As your dad's case so eloquently proved.

FWIW - the guys in Cedar Square have slowly won me over - i have a lot of Specialized in my garage and have over time ridden their bikes almost exclusively for over 12 years. So my relationship is not in any way related to the concept stores. I have however visited a number of times in Cedar and have found them to be very helpful and engaging.

Nah, it's not an ax grinding thing at all. If that's what I wanted to do there are more effective ways to achieve that than by opening myself up for Hub abuse ;)

Whilst I agree with you that it's the salesman, it is also unfortunately the Concept stores issue, by association. As my mate Rynic said, VWs emissions issue was a VW problem, not a few dodgy engineers problem. Another example is restaurants which get bad Zomato ratings because of below par service. It's not a dodgy waiter issue, it's a bad service from restuaunt XYZ issue.

Employers are responsible for their employees behavior and they are especially responsible for the culture that gets cultivated. (Sales driven vs service orientated etc)

In anycase, if we are debating thread titles and my skin allergies then it clearly means that the thread has run its course.

I agree. I really enjoy their products. They truly have good products.

Pah !

One tumble at 40kph and look at this ...

post-50-0-66733100-1476648135_thumb.jpeg

Ps. My body is sore but my head is fine. I will be replacing it with another Spez helmet. It did it's job.????

Pah !

One tumble at 40kph and look at this ...

20161016_113510.jpeg

Ps. My body is sore but my head is fine. I will be replacing it with another Spez helmet. It did it's job.????

Wowzers, hope you ok? What the hell happened?

S

Wowzers, hope you ok? What the hell happened?

Someone racing to move up from around 150th to 148th in the last three km of Berg and Bush was weaving through the paceline I was leading and took me out from behind.

S

Someone racing to move up from around 150th to 148th in the last three km of Berg and Bush was weaving through the paceline I was leading and took me out from behind.

Well, taking out the guy infront if you is one way of improving your position, it's a bit extreme, but effective though ;)

Glad you are ok!

Well, taking out the guy infront if you is one way of improving your position, it's a bit extreme, but effective though ;)

Only if you manage to stay upright yourself

Lying on your back whining does your finishing time no favours

Now, I would like to preface this post by saying that I have always liked and bought their products.

What I have come to despise is their Concept Store attitudes.

About a year ago I made a promise to never set foot in a concept store again, I don't think The Grind counts ;)

My old man has however stayed true to his brand, until now that is. He has a problem, he owns 11 Spezes at last count, it's a cool problem though, but a problem none the less.

Recently, I made him jealous with my purchase of a Epic Sworks, and he fell for it, and then also wanted a new bike.

He was however more sensible than me and was into the Camber. So last week he went to his local Concept Store and asked to buy one, easiest sale in the history of sales.

The salesman on the floor was pretty adamant on pushing a 2016 Epic Sworks that he had on the floor to him. Old man insisted on the Camber to which the dude said that there wasn't stock and should buy this killer deal that was hanging on the wall. It was a deal never to be repeated and that he must take it. Effectively he wanted to sell him the old model Epic at the discounted price of R120k.

This created a bit of doubt in his mind and he went home. Home turned into a Hub classifieds session, where he found a few options. Ended up buying a mint 2016 Epic Sworks with extras for about 65% the cost of this "massive bargain"

Was a deal that couldn't be turned down type of thing.

His ass was however still itching for a Camber.

So he popped into a different Spez store, where the manager showed him on the system that there was in actual fact 4 Camber Sworks in stock in SA. WTF

Needless to say, they lost that sale too.

So this thread is not about moaning at a shop, but rather a heads up to Spez SA, sales guys are lying to make quick sales to the detriment of your brand.

I would propose that you train them to sell clients the bikes that they need/want not what they happen to have on the floor.

I think this counts for any industry. When I walk into any store with something in mind and some one tries to sell me something I don't want/need I leave never to come back. Sometimes people just need to take the time to listen to the customer and give them what they want.

I think this counts for any industry. When I walk into any store with something in mind and some one tries to sell me something I don't want/need I leave never to come back. Sometimes people just need to take the time to listen to the customer and give them what they want.

???????? On point!

Walk into a Ferrari dealership with a casio watch and shorts and t on - sales guy won't even talk to you.... same clothes the next day but arrive in a lambo.... watch him grovel... this is kind of fun actually...

Actually you'd be interested to know that a Cape Town Ferrari dealership we quite happy to service my Alfa 33 for many years and for very competitive rates. The man who serviced my car carried the same name as the dealership, knew me by name and made every effort to make me feel welcome, often going out of his way to accommodate my booking and even delivering the car to me on the rare occasion.

Don't know what this says about Spez but Ferrari treated me with respect. It was at a time when I couldn't even afford a Casio watch.

Actually you'd be interested to know that a Cape Town Ferrari dealership we quite happy to service my Alfa 33 for many years and for very competitive rates. The man who serviced my car carried the same name as the dealership, knew me by name and made every effort to make me feel welcome, often going out of his way to accommodate my booking and even delivering the car to me on the rare occasion.

Don't know what this says about Spez but Ferrari treated me with respect. It was at a time when I couldn't even afford a Casio watch.

Now thats how your bike shop should be... a relationship based on mutual trust and respect.

Archived