Wide Lightnings vs Carbon Wheelset

Wil6

Thanks. My budget just don't allow for a set of Carbon Wheels. But I do see that there is a nice Carbon wheelset on Ali Express that is more within my budget. Anyone using Chinese Carbon Wheels?

So I did the exercise July this year. Got the rims from Light bicycle, the hubs I imported from Evans cycles. I had the build done by Louis Bressler

Rims: R7150

Hubs: R 4150

Build and spokes: R2100

Total R13400 including shipping and taxes

Ive got an awesome set of wheels and youve got the option of playing around with the hubs. This can get expensive though so choose a number and stick to it.

A complete build from Light bicycle on novatec hubs including shipping is around $ 700 which today will be R10000 remember to add 15.4% for taxes

I think Wide lightnings are about R9500 if I remember correctly

So I did the exercise July this year. Got the rims from Light bicycle, the hubs I imported from Evans cycles. I had the build done by Louis Bressler

Rims: R7150

Hubs: R 4150

Build and spokes: R2100

Total R13400 including shipping and taxes

Ive got an awesome set of wheels and youve got the option of playing around with the hubs. This can get expensive though so choose a number and stick to it.

A complete build from Light bicycle on novatec hubs including shipping is around $ 700 which today will be R10000 remember to add 15.4% for taxes

I think Wide lightnings are about R9500 if I remember correctly

Less than R8k at CWC :http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/american-classic-wide-lightning-wheelset

And Flow Mk3's on Hope 4 hubs for R6999! I know where my cash would go if I needed (wanted) new wheels :)

This...

I think a far more reliable/sterner setup than the wide lightening wheels BUT..... weight weenies will laugh at you. 

Riding most marathon conditions and anything up to most intermediate trails in SA Wide Lightenings will be super at a respectable price point and super light. 

If you ride down every single rock you can find, loop the Plumber line on your hard tail and ride a few hiking trails and fire breaks consistently, you will likely ding them.

Racing and training I don't think they can be beaten in terms of boxes ticked. But for fun and smashing about they are cheese.

Had My AC WL for over a year now. I have done many stage races , and ride very rough rugged trails.  I have had a small ding but the wheels have stood up to everything i have thrown at them .  The wide tire footprint makes a massive difference in handling.   WOuld i get another set .... you bet.

Bang for buck

AC

Especially off-road with its risks and rough goeters

Unless you are a total weight weenie who wants to get millimetres / milligrams out of performance

I have clocked now about 8000km on my ACWL. They are fitted on a Rocky Element with a 120 fork. Between the occasional marathon the fork is put to good use in our local (CPT) trails. Tyres at 1.65 bar, my weight is 80kg.

Yes, if you hit a rock hard enough and you are unlucky they will ding. Increasing the pressure could prevent this but that would kill the fun ;)). The dings are easy to mend though if not too bad. I had a spoke pullout failure at the rear (some 4000ks in) which was honored with a warranty replacement by Cape Cycle. They were very accommodating and helpful. Other than that the wheels held up very well. Still the original bearings. The freehub lag may be noticeable to a strong XCO racer on very fast pedal/non pedal transitions. For us normal blokes it is a non-issue I dare say.

Would I buy them again? - yes.

Would I buy carbon? - if money didn't matter of course! Since that is not the case, ACWL and I will stay good buddies for the time coming :)

Thanks for all the replies. Really helpful info from everyone.

I'm really considering importing these rims for about R5800 and building them with a Alchemist Carbon Lefty front hub and Hope Rear Hub.

post-14677-0-46075800-1476869130_thumb.jpg

post-14677-0-06677700-1476869134_thumb.jpg

post-14677-0-31932300-1476869138_thumb.jpg

post-14677-0-49192000-1476869140_thumb.jpg

Total Cost = R12500 everthing included

Edited by Wil6

Thanks for all the replies. Really helpful info from everyone.

I'm really considering importing these rims for about R5800 and building them with a Alchemist Carbon Lefty front hub and Hope Rear Hub.

attachicon.gifHTB1lSoVMpXXXXXUXXXXq6xXFXXXG.jpg

attachicon.gifHTB10D7PMpXXXXXsXpXXq6xXFXXXN.jpg

attachicon.gifP-HUBS MTB-HUBMALCH-ALCHEMIST-LEFTY HUB ISO-6-^-28 HOLE-^-^-CARBON_1.jpg

attachicon.gifP-HUBS MTB-HUBMHOPE-HOPE-PRO 2 EVO REAR-^-142MM-12MM-^-^-BLACK_1.jpg

Total Cost = R12500 everthing included

Thats not bad at all. Just check with your wheel builder about assymetric rims, I dont know why some dont like the idea/concept

Thanks. My budget just don't allow for a set of Carbon Wheels. But I do see that there is a nice Carbon wheelset on Ali Express that is more within my budget. Anyone using Chinese Carbon Wheels?

I do - well - Chinese rims I build up on Hopes - they have survived being beaten on damn well - at least as well as my Roval carbons and quite possibly better.

www.xmcarbonspeed.com was my provider - great service and great product.

I do - well - Chinese rims I build up on Hopes - they have survived being beaten on damn well - at least as well as my Roval carbons and quite possibly better.

www.xmcarbonspeed.com was my provider - great service and great product.

Thanks. Will go and have a look :thumbup:

I had a set of Tubular Carbon Wheels with super fast engagement.

26" which weighed 1.7kg's with tyres if i remember correctly.

Once you have had something stiff/light and quick you notice the difference drastically when you ride something else.

Rode them hard with no issues at all.