Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

I took an absolute beating at MiWay Durban Ultra Tri on the 21km run, absolute bath.... decent enough bike - well I was conservative, but from 3km, I had absolutely NO / NOTHING / ZIP, NIKS, NADA, fokol energy. I reverted walking and the heat was just unbearable. Most stations ran out of water and eventually bakkie full loads of ICE was delivered.... needless to say, I finished in 6h35m with a 2h55 WALK :-O 

I cobbed that one as my bad run for the season and knowing that a tough marathon 1 week at Deloitte didn't help my Ultra cause (Thank goodness I saw this Ultra as part of my training for IM 2017)

1 week later I ran a PB 21km at Sarens at 1h38...

So never give up and bailing is not an option.

GOOD LUCK YOU ALL! time is close.

Same experience for me except I did not do a PB at Sarens however Sarens was a great confidence booster which I needed after the Ultra in Durban. my run/walk time at Ultra is in the same ball park... we must of finished very close to each other as I clocked a 6:37 on their clock. Not bothered checking the real results...

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 weeks ....am I allowed to swear here cos I am farking amped....

Next week will be my last 10 hour plus training week ever........mebbe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4A4n1T0fg0

I will be amped after Om die Dam 21km on Sat, then my last long ride on Sun... then can and will enjoy the taper to race day!! :)

Not even doing half IM distances? 

Hehe, will definitely continue with half distances but that is doable with 6-8 hours a week training. 6 hours a week is easily doable and its healthy. one long ride, a couple of runs and swims.

Hehe, will definitely continue with half distances but that is doable with 6-8 hours a week training. 6 hours a week is easily doable and its healthy. one long ride, a couple of runs and swims.

FOMO #justsaying  ;)  :whistling:

We are on the completely opposite ends of the spectrum. I am keen to do full IM distances, but need to get my mental space right. 

Well, I hope this last IM is your best. (Where is that beer / cheers emoji thing?!)

Throat infection! Yay...  :thumbdown:

Week of antibiotics! Yay...  :nuke:

Oh no. 5 day course? Hope it does not mess your stomach up... Get better soon. 

Also IM changed into a bit of a moneymaking machine.  If they where really serious about fair play they would test the top 10 of each age group for steroids for starters and cap the amount of entries so that there is enough road for the drafting rules.

This happened in the late 90's I think!

Ja, I also need a bit of a break from full IM training. Just takes up so much time. Will definitely take off next year and see how I feel thereafter. Keen to get back to mtbiking/surfing etc for a while. Might even have time to finally do that photography course  and get some guitar lessons. :P

ICM Good point, but I dont agree with you-but let's ask around and here what the technical officials say. Just interisting to find out  

Simple answer is:    ICM and Garfield2010 was right, you can discard clothes in the Litter Zone.

Technical Answer is :

Ruling with regard to discarding of clothing within the Litter Zone, rule 5.01k page 14 IRONMAN 2017 COMPETITION RULES.

Any Item that needs to be discarded, including but not limited to Waterbottles, Gel wrappers, broken bike parts or Clothing items must be discarded only in the designated trash drop zone at each aid station.

Thanks to Gary Williams who will be the head referee at Ironman SA this year for clarifying this.      

I see on FB that the event is sold out:

"The Standard Bank IRONMAN African Championship is now officially SOLD OUT! 3.8km swim, 180.2km bike, 42.2km run - 2100 athletes!

Thank you to all our athletes who entered this year's race, we look forward to welcoming you in two weeks!"

17264867_10155162688704459_1144568897911

So, next week its IronMan African Championships hehe 10 sleeps til I drive down and 13 sleeps til the event.... :clap:

what the long term weather sites say hehe

Last long run and ride done this past weekend... did a PB at the Om die Dam 21.1km on Saturday so feeling ready :)

Archived