Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

Wing it? Haha. That's frikking brave. 

I suppose if the swim and bike legs are strong, there should be enough time to half run / walk the run. 

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys use for Race-day fueling? I've been using High-Five sports drink, gels and salt tablets. Should I include some solid food for IM or just stick to what Ive been dong for 70.3?

What do you guys use for Race-day fueling? I've been using High-Five sports drink, gels and salt tablets. Should I include some solid food for IM or just stick to what Ive been dong for 70.3?

Solid food... they do dish out potatos and salt and marmite sandwiches which taste like heaven sent but only on the run. Might be bananas on the bike leg but I don't remember.

I take a hot cross bun on the bike and nuts and eat a hot cross bun in T1 and T2. This year I will also take some Far bars.

It becomes a long day for me so I do eat solid food.

Then I wolf down burgers and pizza at the final aid station like a man possessed washed down with litres of coke... don't miss the final aid station :)

There are "special needs" bags on the bike and run.  You can get it at the halfway mark on the bike and on every lap on the run.  Sometimes the sweet stuff gets too much so I like to put some proper salty food in those bags.  If you feel good, skip them.  Also there should be bananas and other solids at some of the water points.  Refer to the athlete guide.

IM uses High Five so you should be OK there.

My favorite is simba salt and vinegar chips.  A few years back I actually put steer burgers in the bag.  That was friggen awesome to eat that after 120km on the bike! (old course)

Which High 5 Product specifically as you need something with a Protein Carb Mix to see you through the day. Ideally also should have Peptopro in it which is quicker to assimilate than products without it. 

I eat Biltong-you know the snapsticks -the dryer the better. Sarmies with Bovril or Marmite in my special needs bag is also a welcome change.  

Eat real food and eat early... stuff some hot cross buns and some grilled chicken breasts into a top tube bag and eat it over the 1st 90km....

Fuel up early and keep topping up at the tables on the 1st loop of the run. 

You only get to blow once in the race and blowing at 140km on the bike leaves you in a VERY dark place for the next lots of painful hours....

The 4th discipline on an Ironman is nutrition...

On my last one I got it terribly wrong and at 150Kms on the bike I started vomiting because of all the sweet stuff. I had to walk my entire marathon with nothing in the tank.... managed to finish in just under 16 hours but i would not want to repeat that day again...

I fully agree with eating "real" food earlier on in the race...

My favorite is simba salt and vinegar chips.  A few years back I actually put steer burgers in the bag.  That was friggen awesome to eat that after 120km on the bike! (old course)

I had the small mcdonalds burger in 2015... with cheese. Worked for me but was a bit salty.

the old course was a killer. while I was a tad annoyed it changed for 2016 I am glad its the "new" course for 2017.

I had the small mcdonalds burger in 2015... with cheese. Worked for me but was a bit salty.

the old course was a killer. while I was a tad annoyed it changed for 2016 I am glad its the "new" course for 2017.

Which one of the two old courses?

I liked the three lap one the most.  

Jeesh that 2015 bike route was crap. But ja, I also liked the 3 lap route. Probably the quickest of the routes?

I have only ever done the 3x60Kms laps. How does that compare to the new 2016/17 route?

It seems like the overall times on the new route is faster...

I have only ever done the 3x60Kms laps. How does that compare to the new 2016/17 route?

The new route is very exposed to the elements because it's mostly along the coast, so I guess it depends to a large extent whether you get a really windy day. Last year the wind was pretty much non existent (PE standards...).

I have to say the 3 lap route was easier for me especially with a westerly wind

There is something about the new route that I cannot quite figure out.  Maybe its because everyone says its flat but in fact its not that flat.  The rough road surface also tire you out if you not used to it.

I have to say the 3 lap route was easier for me especially with a westerly wind

There is something about the new route that I cannot quite figure out.  Maybe its because everyone says its flat but in fact its not that flat.  The rough road surface also tire you out if you not used to it.

It might also be not seeing the turn around/supporters as often.

The bike is a pretty lonely leg anyway and the new route is relatively sparse on the cheering crowd front.

The 20km into and away from the turn around is also really stop start and fiddly, along with the 2 climbs/descents away from the coast. I like the 2 lap route. I think you have to dig a bit deeper

I never did the 3x 60 ...my midlife crisis had not kicked in yet.

The 2014/5 course took it out of me that's for sure. Compared to at the new course is a doddle imho. But then I am heavy so struggled with the elevation.

Archived