Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Im crapping myself if it rains...

I did the rain epic - will be interesting if it rains..... and messy...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am crapping myself..point! Have no idea what to expect in the Epic. What is enough training? What is considered good hill training (or is quality "flattish" training sufficient)? Is a 100km with 1000m ascent considered enough climbing? I have a view to just finish..no racing, no attacking...enjoy and embrace every second of the Epic.  It will most likely be my one and only opportunity to do it. 

Figure out the average climb per km - OK - it's 22.3m/km climb - so basically the same as 2200m per 100km ride. (some days more than that, some days less)

Be warned - some climbs are loose, rough and rocky - and the corresponding decent is the same... so technical skills are needed, as well as a healthy dose of common sense.

Appreciate and respected. With a bout of common sense combined with average to good technical skills I am OK with the descents. So far this year I am on 1700km with 14000m total ascent. Now that is the part that worries me a bit. I am fairly happy with my fitness levels. I am assuming (perhaps wrongly so) that with a high level of fitness, good technical skills I will be OK with all the climbs given my stats for the year so far  and that I have NO intention to race! Do not be afraid to say..you are in deep sh*t! 

Appreciate and respected. With a bout of common sense combined with average to good technical skills I am OK with the descents. So far this year I am on 1700km with 14000m total ascent. Now that is the part that worries me a bit. I am fairly happy with my fitness levels. I am assuming (perhaps wrongly so) that with a high level of fitness, good technical skills I will be OK with all the climbs given my stats for the year so far  and that I have NO intention to race! Do not be afraid to say..you are in deep sh*t! 

You will be fine - just don't let your head get caught up in the hype - it's just a ride... treat it like that...

8 hours is cutting it tight ma man!

I'd take 8h/w on Table Mountain over 14h/w on the road anytime.... 

It all depends on how it is structured... and TM is doing the structuring for you ;)

You will be fine - just don't let your head get caught up in the hype - it's just a ride... treat it like that...

Best advice ever.

So many people forget to have fun - far too much agro over 250th place... Enjoy every second of it, once it's over, it's over and no will care where you finished. As long as you finished.

So how much is average km's per month for an Epic. Did 1100km in Dec (with ample holiday drinking  :clap: ) and 1400km in Jan. Mostly road during the week and offroad weekends. Should I panic? Problem always remains proper climbing..no REAL hills in around Pta. So what have fellow hubbers doing the Epic put in so far? Sheesh ..just don't start with 2000km+ months. I am not Amanda Coker (380km daily for the last 230 days..check Strava). 

I'm popping my Epic cherry this year, but can tell you you'll be fine.

My brother averaged around 6 hours a week for last years, and he lives in Dubai - there are f0kol hills there. And he was a tad over 90kg race-weight. 

He rode with my pops who was 69. Their strategy was start slow and ease up - and have fun. They finished around 300th I think. 

I've done 1100km and 13100m climbing this year to date and the Epic veterans I ride with all tell me I'll be fine too. Doesn't mean I'm still not k@kking myeslf, but I know I'll be strong enough to enjoy it and finish with a smile. 

We did it last year. My friend won the entry 7 weeks ahead of epic. He was then a roadie and fit. He didnt own a mtb. I was not fit and had a mtb. Needless to say it was also our only chance and we did it. With about 6 weeks epic specific training. Just take it day by day. There are rough times........ I wanted to give up so many times. Looking back i am soooo glad i didnt

Enjoy it!!!. I am jealous!

We did it last year. My friend won the entry 7 weeks ahead of epic. He was then a roadie and fit. He didnt own a mtb. I was not fit and had a mtb. Needless to say it was also our only chance and we did it. With about 6 weeks epic specific training. Just take it day by day. There are rough times........ I wanted to give up so many times. Looking back i am soooo glad i didnt

Enjoy it!!!. I am jealous!

Keep up the motivational speeches!! Makes me wanna start tomorrow! 

Given your area....Breedts and over, breedts and over, magalies monster route, then do SBR double loop's (mtb though)

Go ride Sabie 18/19 Feb and smash it. 

Climb, climb, climb  and climb some more in Feb!

Oh and when not on the bike....cadence 50-60 on any wattbike and crank up the resistance!

In March - switch back to some longer Zone 3 rides until Argus weekend and then just lightly  (Zone 1/2) spin the legs in the week into the Epic to freshen up.

I'm no coach but that's My 10c and based off my first Epic in 2016. 

Oh and you will be fine, take it day by day, just ride based on what's in front of you and manage your nutrition well!

Gonna be my 3rd one in a row, which I now realize is a bit silly cause im kind of gatvol of riding my bike... Good advice for 1st timers - train like a man!! If you superFIT and strong, it just makes the experience so much better...

Not that I am an Epic contender, so excuse me posting here ...  but it should be said that isn't saying "train like a man' a tad demeaning to all those women athletes out there who commit  and make sacrifices in preparing just the same as any 'man'?

Not that I am an Epic contender, so excuse me posting here ...  but it should be said that isn't saying "train like a man' a tad demeaning to all those women athletes out there who commit  and make sacrifices in preparing just the same as any 'man'?

Didnt mean it like that.. obviously, but I agree... Train like a women, train like a man, or dont train at all, I dont care   :clap:

Just a tip for all the Santa Cruz owners, before last years epic I bought my first Santa brand New from Bruce.. Last week one of the bolts holding the suspension to the frame snapped... I took it back to bruce and they said this can happen and they actually recommend a pro Pack which you can buy that replaces all your bolts after 1 year... Something to consider before riding this year.. I didnt know so I just thought id share..

Is there a group somewhere with hints and tips? Like what to take with to the Epic, or more important what not to take. What to ride with in your back/on the bike? What not to ride with? What is unnecessary? Important lessons learned from previous riders. If one takes the service package (i.e. your bike is cleaned/serviced by someone everyday), should I still take spares? Extra break pads? Extra food? What food to avoid? Extra shoes? Yeah by now it should be clear that I am REALLY new to the Epic..but super excited!

Is there a group somewhere with hints and tips? Like what to take with to the Epic, or more important what not to take. What to ride with in your back/on the bike? What not to ride with? What is unnecessary? Important lessons learned from previous riders. If one takes the service package (i.e. your bike is cleaned/serviced by someone everyday), should I still take spares? Extra break pads? Extra food? What food to avoid? Extra shoes? Yeah by now it should be clear that I am REALLY new to the Epic..but super excited!

Your bike is washed every day even if you don't have service package. 

Take a credit card with you in case you need repairs on route at tech zones. 

If you have a service package they should have spares for you. 

On bike - spare tube, plugs, bombs, adapter, multi tool, quick link, tyre levers as a minimum. 

2nd waterpoint every day is stocked with USN. (bars, gels, Epic Pro etc)

Take enough to drink, it can get very hot even if distances between waterpoints seem short.

Extra pair of shoes in case of rain.

Proper gloves, hands can take a pounding.

Enjoy it, you'll be buzzing with excitement after lining up and the prologue will be over before you know it. Grim reality will set in on Stage 1 when you're suffering up those climbs but the buzz will return when you cross the line. By day 3 you'll be on autopilot. Don't start too hard, look at the profile and be prepared. 

Its a fantastic experience, talk to your fellow riders and don't forget to look around and appreciate the scenery. 

Your bike is washed every day even if you don't have service package.

Take a credit card with you in case you need repairs on route at tech zones.

If you have a service package they should have spares for you.

On bike - spare tube, plugs, bombs, adapter, multi tool, quick link, tyre levers as a minimum.

2nd waterpoint every day is stocked with USN. (bars, gels, Epic Pro etc)

Take enough to drink, it can get very hot even if distances between waterpoints seem short.

Extra pair of shoes in case of rain.

Proper gloves, hands can take a pounding.

Enjoy it, you'll be buzzing with excitement after lining up and the prologue will be over before you know it. Grim reality will set in on Stage 1 when you're suffering up those climbs but the buzz will return when you cross the line. By day 3 you'll be on autopilot. Don't start too hard, look at the profile and be prepared.

Its a fantastic experience, talk to your fellow riders and don't forget to look around and appreciate the scenery.

can't remember you taking your own advice very well.... ;) just remember you pinning your nuts on the wall....

Archived