Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Eish...nothing on office PC..ok will try tonight on home PC..not bound by prehistoric block everything and more internet at work! 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His pensioner is going to hurt him.... :) Wait... I thought he was a girl....

Ha ha ha she is ..... she's my Brother.

What sort of things are for sale in the race village?  Are the finishes usually close to a town centre?

i.e.

Is it possible to buy - food, drink, ice cream, toiletries?

What about bike stuff - tyres, shoes, etc?

Thanks.

Hey Rich,

you will not need to go anywhere to buy food and drinks. This event is fully catered.

Apart from that you will most likely be too tired to go anywhere, unless your alias is Susi et al.

Ice cream possibly a problem......

However, you are fairly close to shopping stores if need really be.

Bike stuff will be at various bike shop tents on site. Just be warned they will be damn expensive. So buy before bring along if you can....although with the almighty pound it aint too bad i guess :clap:

so with basically 2 weeks left to go...who's ready...who is not?? I fear I am on the latter :-(

My entry was only confirmed 23/12/2016 and JHB weather and work have contrived to make things difficult for me....oh well, should survive the prolog atleast!!

so with basically 2 weeks left to go...who's ready...who is not?? I fear I am on the latter :-(

My entry was only confirmed 23/12/2016 and JHB weather and work have contrived to make things difficult for me....oh well, should survive the prolog atleast!!

Ready is relative... Saturday's trick... bit of a cockup actually - had to restitch one of the tendons...

#gardeningisacontactsport

post-29797-0-62597000-1488200842_thumb.jpg

Ready is relative... Saturday's trick... bit of a cockup actually - had to restitch one of the tendons...

#gardeningisacontactsport

attachicon.gif20170225_104247.jpg

OUCH! Wishing you a speedy recovery. Be careful!! 

That looks painful! Luckily the Epic is mostly uphill..no real need to pull the breaks  :whistling:

Am I ready?? Dunno..but looking so forward to it! Training time is basically over! Not much more going to be accomplished in the next two weeks. 

Has anyone done any riding on First Ascent BIBS? I.e. the Pro-Elite..local, much cheaper than those Italian brands and apparently really good padding and material quality. Any one has an opinion...?

I tried a pair of Assos on for the first time ever...maybe just me but the fit really did not feel nice/comfortable. It may just be because I am used to "cheaper" brands. 

I have been to 3 local bike shops in my area..no one has stock of good quality BIBS. Found a brand called "RH+" but do not know of them at all, so cannot judge quality other than it being Italian and yes expensive! Ordering a brand unknown to you online is too big a risk. 

Any one has an opinion...?

Yes - I have one.... are you insane?

You should ride what you know works for you.....  I have previously posted how to look after your butt during the epic.... search for "surgical spirits"

Take heed if you wear something that does not work well for you - a small chafe can turn into a mess pretty damn quickly - even in the last few weeks before the start.

Yes - I have one.... are you insane?

You should ride what you know works for you.....  I have previously posted how to look after your butt during the epic.... search for "surgical spirits"

Take heed if you wear something that does not work well for you - a small chafe can turn into a mess pretty damn quickly - even in the last few weeks before the start.

Are you saying First Ascent is crap!? Ok I will go read your article! But I could not agree with you more! This where my conundrum comes in..I am a Northwave fan (53-11)! Have been riding them for years. And they last for years! So now that it seems I am due for a new bib or two...I cannot find stock! Buycycle sells them..no stock! Epic Cycles sells them..no stock! Hence me searching for another pair but I cannot agree with you more..I am so hesitant to try BIBS I have not spend hours and hours in before. 

Are you saying First Ascent is crap!? Ok I will go read your article! But I could not agree with you more! This where my conundrum comes in..I am a Northwave fan (53-11)! Have been riding them for years. And they last for years! So now that it seems I am due for a new bib or two...I cannot find stock! Buycycle sells them..no stock! Epic Cycles sells them..no stock! Hence me searching for another pair but I cannot agree with you more..I am so hesitant to try BIBS I have not spend hours and hours in before. 

Have you tried Northcliff Cycles for Northwave? 

I have no comment on First Ascent.... but I do own R3000 bibs that I wouldn't wear for more than 40km.... (think I have about 15 sets of those...)  and I have 10 sets in the same price bracket that I have ridden 230km off road in in a single ride ....

Makes sure they are super comfortable... NO chafe spots - none....

And.....Northcliff Cycles..no stock!  :thumbdown: ...the guy did recommend Sportful but that brings me back to golden rule...don't change BIBS two weeks before an Epic. 

Archived