taxi hit cyclists - christian de wet road : near my house - aish

mudda

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And as for the this getting swept under the rug, maybe it is time or us as a community o take charge and stand up to cases like this been treated lightly. This as far as I understand the concept would be a prime case to institute a private prosecution, which as far as I understand the concept is where an individual that has been harmed by a crime takes the role of the state as prosecutor once the state confirmed that they will not prosecute a case.

Interesting to see the cop van simply drive past in the last 5 seconds of the clip.

Added that little bit of information

What a horror show. I hope the cyclist will heal up soon and have the courage to get back on the bike.

I have read through this post and I am feeling seriously angry and frustrated (de moer in). I drive to work every morning from Pta East towards Faerie Glen up Solomon Mahlangu Drive. There is a peloton of cyclists riding up Solomon Mahlangu.These are guys cycling to work from Mamelodi in full work gear on old bikes. Most of them wear yellow protective vests (handed out a while ago by the Round Table I think) and are very visible. The taxi's however simply drive up the drag on the left hand side (jumping the traffic light from the left turn lane @ Wapadrand) and they ran these guys off the road, without fail,every morning.

My anger and frustration stems from the absolute powerlessness one experience about this. The taxi situation is out of control (has been from day 1) and I really do not see a solution other than mass action which this whitey is too scared to participate in.

I wonder how free I really am as a cyclist, living in the city? I rather load my bike on my car and go to a bike park to ride and I have let go of any plans to own a road bike simply because of the dangers in the traffic. Not much freedom in that.

Ok I might be fried for taking the view that responsibility also lies with the occupants of the vehicle not to support these drivers but so be it, it does.

Ok, I'll bite.

This is either not a well thought out post (which I very much doubt, judging from the usual quality of your posts), or it's deliberately contentious.

If the customers had an X3 in the garage, they would hop in and go to work in air-conditioned comfort. But, they are forced to take their lives in their hands on a daily basis to get to work and back, to put food on the table.

I think the view you have expressed is akin to blaming a woman for being raped.

Ok, I'll bite.

This is either not a well thought out post (which I very much doubt, judging from the usual quality of your posts), or it's deliberately contentious.

If the customers had an X3 in the garage, they would hop in and go to work in air-conditioned comfort. But, they are forced to take their lives in their hands on a daily basis to get to work and back, to put food on the table.

There is a question to be asked though.......

The very same underprivileged people are quick to burn trains, buses, schools and other things when the delivery is below standard. Why do taxi's enjoy a different set of rules? Come to think of it, how often have the taxi's protested and distrupted these poor people's lives??

I am by no means advocating violence towards anybody, but the question makes one think?

Taxi commuters are paying clients, they should demand a certain level of service/safety!

The very same underprivileged people are quick to burn trains, buses, schools and other things when the delivery is below standard. Why do taxi's enjoy a different set of rules? Come to think of it, how often have the taxi's protested and distrupted these poor people's lives??

I am by no means advocating violence towards anybody, but the question makes one think?

Taxi commuters are paying clients, they should demand a certain level of service/safety!

I so agree with you. It feels like the horrendous taxi driving/service is acceptable to the paying commuters. Almost like taxi's are untouchable. I find it rather baffling.

Taxis are untouchable because they all belong to a very small group of gangster taxi company owners who are also either high level police officers or are well connected to high level police officers.

#un-baffled.com

Ok, I'll bite.

You are correct but I do understand what he is saying.  We have had many discussions with our domestic about this.  If they the passengers do not get into a unfit taxi and if he drives like an idiot, all demand their money back get out and take the next taxi, they might actually start forcing the guys to behave.

The problem however what does the normal taxi passenger know about road worthiness, road laws, etc.  Impractical yes but the theory could actually not be such a bad idea.

Half these guys would not mind striking and losing pay to "improve working conditions".

Taxis are untouchable because they all belong to a very small group of gangster taxi company owners who are also either high level police officers or are well connected to high level police officers.

#un-baffled.com

Rumour has it that some polititians are also in the business.

See an interesting observation we tend to forget, is that a lot of the people in the taxi don't mind him driving like that because it means they don't sit in traffic. A taxi will get them home a lot quicker than a bus be it lawful or unlawfully. We have some who commute by taxi and they choose it over the busses because it is quicker with them driving in the yellow line etc.

I used to live two houses up from a police officer and he proudly owned 4 taxi's...if they got a fine he would make sure it got swept under the carpet...

Yes the problem is the general taxi using population has no idea what the road rules are, what a vehicle needs to pass to qualify as being roadworthy. as pointed out above no one wants to sit in traffic for two hours or more in some cases - so if the driver goes screaming up the yellow lane then...meh...

The other thing that a couple of mates and I were discussing is that there is a generation that are now starting to drive and they have no history of driving - i.e. their parents don't drive or own a car, so they have not been exposed to the reality of what an accident is and the effects when you don't obey the rules of the road.

By that I mean - I was in a car accident when I was 6 years old and I will never forget the anguish it caused my mom and myself - we were both fine as it was a bumper bashing but it doesn't change the memory... 

I used to live two houses up from a police officer and he proudly owned 4 taxi's...if they got a fine he would make sure it got swept under the carpet...

Yes the problem is the general taxi using population has no idea what the road rules are, what a vehicle needs to pass to qualify as being roadworthy. as pointed out above no one wants to sit in traffic for two hours or more in some cases - so if the driver goes screaming up the yellow lane then...meh...

The other thing that a couple of mates and I were discussing is that there is a generation that are now starting to drive and they have no history of driving - i.e. their parents don't drive or own a car, so they have not been exposed to the reality of what an accident is and the effects when you don't obey the rules of the road.

By that I mean - I was in a car accident when I was 6 years old and I will never forget the anguish it caused my mom and myself - we were both fine as it was a bumper bashing but it doesn't change the memory... 

very valid point, and a generation who has only ever been driven around in taxis so they are influenced very negatively and don't understand the whole courteous patient driver thing...

very valid point, and a generation who has only ever been driven around in taxis so they are influenced very negatively and don't understand the whole courteous patient driver thing...

That problem is not just the taxis.  That is all over in SA among all groups of motorists.

If the industry isn't taxed and regulated how can you expect standards of service delivery?

Archived