L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

I dont know the dam, haven't been there in years. Which spot will provide parking for a few cars at that hour of the morning ?

If you are keen to start from midmar dam, the calabash cafe is directly opposite the dam's main entrance.  They have  parking available that can be accessed at any time. There is not much shade. Fernhill hotel is about 1km away.  Their parking is more secure and shady and within the hotel gates so  maybe call and confirm that the gates would be open at that time?  We have started early morning rides from there before but I'm not sure if the gates were open early by special arrangement. :)

Piggly Wiggly is also an option.  They are opposite st Ives.

Edited by blondeonabike

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are keen to start from midmar dam, the calabash cafe is directly opposite the dam's main entrance.  They have  parking available that can be accessed at any time. There is not much shade. Fernhill hotel is about 1km away.  Their parking is more secure and shady and within the hotel gates so  maybe call and confirm that the gates would be open at that time?  We have started early morning rides from there before but I'm not sure if the gates were open early by special arrangement. :)

Great thanks, will get in touch with Fernhill then and make arrangements from there.

Great thanks, will get in touch with Fernhill then and make arrangements from there.

Aaaw a bikehub scouting expedition and I am too far to ride with..sigh..turning all shades of green over here.

Aaaw a bikehub scouting expedition and I am too far to ride with..sigh..turning all shades of green over here.

You are going to love the last section of the route, just after cresting the bump out of Mooiriver. It's the final 40Km of the route and in the words of our chairman... "it's all downhill".

On our Durban Tour, we had a moving time of 67 minutes (35.8km/h average). A number of ladies currently occupy the fastest times on the segment called Mooiriver to Lionsriver - 57 minutes (42.7Km/h)... yes, you are reading right, the QOM is faster than the KOM (courtesy of the KZN Summer series).

post-1372-0-01031400-1486558869_thumb.png

Edited by geraldm24

Train for 160Km, suffer over the first 120Km - before enjoying the final 40Km.

Yeah.. after I looked at the strava segment I decided..right train hard to survive the first 130km and still have enough left to enjoy the last 30km..

Cause it is so easy to make mistakes when you are tired hey.

.all my bad Wipeouts have been because I was tired.

I am really looking forward to it..when we go out and ride I feel like I can ride all day.

Edited by Gen

Piggly Wiggly has a nice restaurant where one could grab a chow after the ride. parking is open at all times.

Fernhill hotel is a bit more formal  and doesnt really cater for  casual eating but does have a better parking spot 

Piggly Wiggly has a nice restaurant where one could grab a chow after the ride. parking is open at all times.

Fernhill hotel is a bit more formal  and doesnt really cater for  casual eating but does have a better parking spot 

Fernhill restaurant will have to deal with a bunch of sweaty, smelly cyclists I guess. They have allowed us to park there at 5am so thats sorted. Rather make sure the cars are safe while we away.

My lovely wife is in China over the weekend and I am at a loose end. The Midkands are just down the N3 from me and I am tempted.......

How competitive (polite word for fast) is thia trial run likely to be?

My lovely wife is in China over the weekend and I am at a loose end. The Midkands are just down the N3 from me and I am tempted.......

I dont think it will be too crazy.  I think we should all take the opportunity to enjoy all the beautiful views as on race day you normally miss so much.  Climbing up the first big nasty after rosetta is beautiful if you look down over springfield dam.  Raceday we will all be wanting to puke here :wacko:

Please come and squeeze and many choms in the car as you can :)

Edited by blondeonabike

I dont know about everyone else but I will probably be riding at around 22-23km avg over that distance and elevation. Tombeej and a few of the other stronger guys may go out harder.

I dont know about everyone else but I will probably be riding at around 22-23km avg over that distance and elevation. Tombeej and a few of the other stronger guys may go out harder.

Nope, quite happy to ride at the groups pace. If someone punctures we all stop. And lots of photo taking along the way, I'm sure. One of those rides where it's all about the simple joy of riding, not about time or ave. speed. We can even stop for a Wimpy coffee in Mooi River. Why rush :)

Just hoping the weather is a bit cooler next weekend. We're melting in this heat wave.

Nope, quite happy to ride at the groups pace. If someone punctures we all stop. And lots of photo taking along the way, I'm sure. One of those rides where it's all about the simple joy of riding, not about time or ave. speed. We can even stop for a Wimpy coffee in Mooi River. Why rush :)

Just hoping the weather is a bit cooler next weekend. We're melting in this heat wave.

Was enjoying picturing your ride until I got to Wimpy coffee... dirty dish water [emoji85]

this sounds like my kind of ride 

18th Feb.

Few of our guys from East Coast cycling will be riding the route, starting from Midmar.

We plan to be on the road from about 5-5:15 am.

Pace will be easy, guessing around 24km avg.

Come join us.

I should be available to come help out, might be able to rope in a few more domestiques to help pull and push. :whistling: :P anyone keen to ride up from PMB :ph34r: 

Piggly Wiggly is also an option.  They are opposite st Ives.

Fernhill worked well last time and was open early. I will ask Ant if they had to get permission.

Piggly Wiggly is great but last time we came down after the loop that place was so packed you couldn't fit a sardine in there.

The route is not that bad if I'm honest. We averaged 26.4km/h with the climb from PMB, the others got 27.6km/h from Fernhill. 

As long as the wind doesn't blow too bad and there a few stronger guys to keep the bunch together and rolling +25km/h is very possible.

Do you plan on having a backup vehicle? 

If it's hot it's a must due to water availability and an added safety bonus.