The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring has sprung. Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is perhaps the closest thing cycling has to baseball's Opening Day, as the peloton gathers in Ghent for the first classic of the new season, and the first race of the Belgian cycling year. The start line may no longer be in the evocative Sint-Pietersplein, but the religious overtones remain. The riders are currently being introduced in the great cathedral of Belgian cycling, 't Kuipke velodrome, before taking the start from the Citadelpark. The neutral start is at 11.35 local time, with the bunch due to hit kilometre zero at 11.45.

Hills:

1 Leberg, 54km

2 Berendries, 59km

3 Tenbosse, 63km

4 Eikenmolen, 69km

5 Muur, 81km

6 Valkenberg, 98km

7 Kaperik, 117km

8 Kruisberg, 129km

9 Taaienberg, 139km

10 Eikenberg, 144km

11 Wolvenberg, 147km

12 Leberg, 157km

13 Molenberg, 163km

Cobbled sectors:

1 Haaghoek, 51km

2 Haaghoek, 107km

3 Donderij, 134km

4 Ruiterstraat, 147km

5 Karel Martelstraat, 149km

6 Holleweg, 150km

7 Haaghoek, 154km

8 Paddestraat, 168km

9 Lippenhovestraat, 171km

10 Lange Munte, 178km

????????????????????

The bunch has rolled away from the start in Ghent and is making its way gently towards kilometre zero. The temperature is a chilly 6 degrees Celsius, and jackets and gloves are the order of the day, but, for now at least, the day is dry.

????????‍♀️????????‍♀️????????????????

The women's Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is also taking place today. The race got underway twenty minutes ago in Blaarmeersen, Ghent, and is finishes in the Citadel Park in the early afternoon.

The peloton has reached kilometre zero and Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is officially underway. We're still more than 50 kilometres from the first hill, but there won't be any shortage of willing attackers hoping to form the morning break before the hellingen begin.