[Event] Ashburton Investments National MTB Series Grabouw

advendurance

It probably came down to a financial decision in a board room with the PR department. They ask, how much coverage and return do we get from the top 10 men vs the coverage and return we get from the top 5 woman. If the ROI for the top 10 men is greater than the top 5 of the woman, they would see spending their money for the greatest ROI. It just so happens that a man in MTB generates more return than a woman at this point in time. A good indication is the twitter followers of most of the men are greater than that of the ladies, more exposure, more money they can ask for from the race. They bring more to it in terms of exposure. Sauser 18,9k followers, almost all ladies put together are less than this.

This may not be right, but it may just come down to business. Ashburton is in it for ROI, not for growing cycling, lets not be silly. 

*No need to worry, my wife earns way more than me and I am cool with it.*

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what the funny thing is: in the ashburton series the 1st place male gets R26k and the woman R20k. So the organisers flip over R6k per event.

You want to tell me that the orgainisers cannot find that money elswhere? Hell man, go get First for woman insurance to sponsor the additional R6k per event and put a first for woman sticker in the number boards of all the lady participants. Done.

Or do what you need to do but do the right thing at least!

Its not just the 1st place,It is through all the womens categories

Equal prize money should be the norm, end of story. Just look how stacked the ladies field was this weekend. 

My question is, has the prize money allocation between the Men and Women changed from last year, when the men would race the Ultra-marathon distance and the Ladies would compete in the Marathon distance? maybe advendurance thought they could get away with not rejigging the prize purses even though the formats have changed.

Equal prize money (and a fairer dispensation with regards to start groups) was the catalyst for the very strong field of women's racers at the Epic of late. I would be focussing on womens racing if I was interested in growing my event. The mens field is saturated already, so women and children must surely be next on the radar.

This is so needed to grow the sport. I go back to the Spur Schools races. Right now you can put a girl on a bike, get her just to finish one lap and she will get top 10 and earn her school more points than a boy that does the same. A boy has to train his arse off (at least 3 sessions per week) just to get a top 10.

My wife does MTB and is very competitive. She told me that she can't understand why more women do not do cycling competitively, as they have it easier than the men to get onto the podium. That was her words, not mine.

This is so needed to grow the sport. I go back to the Spur Schools races. Right now you can put a girl on a bike, get her just to finish one lap and she will get top 10 and earn her school more points than a boy that does the same. A boy has to train his arse off (at least 3 sessions per week) just to get a top 10.

My wife does MTB and is very competitive. She told me that she can't understand why more women do not do cycling competitively, as they have it easier than the men to get onto the podium. That was her words, not mine.

We are struggling to get a ladies road cycling Pure Savage team together. So far we have 7, looking for 12 to do a DC. Looking at riders that ride between 3:30 and 4:10 Argus. 

Only ladies team that rides together often I can think off is the BestMed ASG ladies team. They are pro though

Here is a thought. Combine the elite ladies with A batch ladies.. there are some really fast ladies in A batch

The field will be bigger and therefore racing will be better and hey you may see even more ladies decide to get racing licences and start competing against the Elites after they have seen that they can actually give it a go.

I can't speak for others..but I have been training just to be able to survive L'Etape in April and it has taken a lot of time and sacrifice away from my family and that's not even to be competitive but just to survive it, I am not sure if I could do that for years on end, I feel guilty as it is.

I am not sure how your wife manages to juggle it and I look at Theresa Ralph who also has a job and kids and is a kick arse competitor ..but if you find the secret to how to do it..pls let me know.

As for the youngsters in their 20's I am not sure where they are and why more aren't competitive, I would think perhaps studying and building a career and putting food on the table is taking priority over cycling.

I reckon a lot of talent is lost in the 18-24 age group.

Edited by Gen

I reckon a lot of talent is lost in the 18-24 age group.

Having been involved with the schools racing, this is a correct assessment.  I have seen girls with immense talent being lost to other sports or student life. Problems also that I see is the girls are also much into maintaining their social circles, and if their friends don't do cycling, then the motivation to do it competitively disappears.

No excuse for less prize money for women - full stop.  Its archaic, and Ashburton have acknowledged this. 

If the reports about Friz Piennaar's negotiations are true, then he is a BOX, and belongs in the dark ages.  At least the main sponsor recognized the reputational damage, even if he could not.  Well done to Ariane for going over his head.  good result.

Well well well! I see Ashburton has matched the prize money for men and woman.

Nice one Ashburton!

MJ, source? Where did you see?

Edit: Got it :thumbup:

Edited by Bloukrans

Well well well! I see Ashburton has matched the prize money for men and woman.

Nice one Ashburton!

A quick turn-around through the PR office to do damage control here before it became a social media storm. I suspect that Arianne is better off than many of the other competitors in terms of earnings and sponsorship, so the athletes benefitting most from this will be the young up and coming athletes that will be in contention once the international season starts.

A quick turn-around through the PR office to do damage control here before it became a social media storm. I suspect that Arianne is better off than many of the other competitors in terms of earnings and sponsorship, so the athletes benefitting most from this will be the young up and coming athletes that will be in contention once the international season starts.

Fritz Pienaar trying to save face now,what a chop he should be ashamed.

"And here are the names of the four incredible ladies that will be going SOLO in the 2017 C2T event. Although the rules state that there has to be at least 10 participants in a category for prize money to be paid out, we have decided that it will be paid out regardless of the number of entrants in this ladies category.

(and, as before, equal prize money to male and female winners :-) )"

NICE! They deserve no less :)