[Event] Ashburton Investments National MTB Series Grabouw

advendurance

Ahem ... i've just seen that the porcupine ridge race has 2340m ascent on the 54 and 1400 odd on the 37k route. Sounds like a lot of time wrestling the pain demon.

I think I might be keen for something a bit gentler and ashburton half marathon fits the bill for me. Seriously, the max slope on porcupine ridge is 39 percent .... no ropes provided.

Edited by Mamil

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you honestly just make that comment for the sake of commenting & giving these guys a hard time?

24hr OV traditionally has their event the 3rd week in Jan for years now just go do the research, now instead of flaming Dirtopia/Amarider for changing their dates you decide to blame Advendurance for planning theirs on the same weekend.

Secondly Advendurance has had their event on this last weekend in Jan for the past couple of years already, from the old MTN serious to the now Ashburton events but what the hell do I know.

No I'm just stating my honest opinion. And I'll stand by it.

I wasn't aware that the 24hr moved a week. I was however aware and planning for the 24hr date long before I saw the marketing for the advendurance event. Maybe Dirtopia just does their marketing better.

But the dates were probably fixed behind the scenes long before they started marketing it. And now there is a clash and some cannibalisation of rider numbers will happen.

I wasn't aware that the 24hr moved a week. I was however aware and planning for the 24hr date long before I saw the marketing for the advendurance event. Maybe Dirtopia just does their marketing better.

But the dates were probably fixed behind the scenes long before they started marketing it. And now there is a clash and some cannibalisation of rider numbers will happen.

maybe but i doubt the numbers will be severely affected as each event draws its own crowd this I've personally witnessed when I was lucky enough to do both events over the years.

Then maybe blame the party that moved their dates not Advendurance that use this date every year?

Advendurance can't move the date one week earlier because then it clashes with Atta and a week later is probably too close to their Sabie event?

Doubt the Grabouw event is 300m odd elevation.

Also doubt that the porcupine ridge 54km is 2300m odd elevation

Advendurence does not seem to have lady luck on their side with holding events down here. I avoid them

That's what the profile on their website says.

Grabouw marathon is 1400 odd if memory serves and 700 for the half, as per their website

Doubt the Grabouw event is 300m odd elevation.

Also doubt that the porcupine ridge 54km is 2300m odd elevation

Advendurence does not seem to have lady luck on their side with holding events down here. I avoid them

That's what the profile on their website says.

Grabouw marathon is 1400 odd if memory serves and 700 for the half, as per their website

Jeez! I know they said it's a new route for the porcupine but hell that is almost the ascent for the attakwas

With regards to Grabouw..........it is an amazing area for mtb'ing. If that is the only elevation for the marathon in particular then I am sorry but it is a piss poor effort on their side

1400 ascent over 37k is hectic in my books - too much actually I feel, similarly with 2400 odd for the 54 - I'm a slowpoke on the hills - a tortoise on trail Z at Hoogekraal was making fun of me - but I like a nice climb, the keyword being nice and I'm not sure that an average gradient of 6 or 7 % for that distance can be called nice.

OF course I could take some HTFU medicine but I think I'd rather wuss out and just do a leisurely 40 in Grabouw.

The water situation is very worrying indeed!

Flip taking the wife on the 36km, and see that it is over 1400. Have done most of that route before, and a bit of an understatement about an odd challenging decent.  What will be the saddest is of course the view of the dam, which is very empty   :(

1400 ascent over 37k is hectic in my books - too much actually I feel, similarly with 2400 odd for the 54 - I'm a slowpoke on the hills - a tortoise on trail Z at Hoogekraal was making fun of me - but I like a nice climb, the keyword being nice and I'm not sure that an average gradient of 6 or 7 % for that distance can be called nice.

OF course I could take some HTFU medicine but I think I'd rather wuss out and just do a leisurely 40 in Grabouw.

The water situation is very worrying indeed!

I know this is what the links say but I would bet good money that the ascents for both races on the websites are wrong

No way any funride will do 2400m climbing on a 50km course

the old route had something like 900m climbing

and finding a marathon route in grabouw with only 300m climbing would me a momentous achievement. 

Edited by Skubarra

As per this page the marathon in Grabouw has about 1500m climbing which sounds OK

http://advendurance.com/nationalmtbseries/event/2017natmtb1/

I have sent an email to the organisers of the porcupine ridge querying the accuracy of their route profiles

I know this is what the links say but I would bet good money that the ascents for both races on the websites are wrong

No way any funride will do 2400m climbing on a 50km course

the old route had something like 900m climbing

and finding a marathon route in grabouw with only 300m climbing would me a momentous achievement. 

Just followed up with the organizers telephonically - 54 is 1350 m elevation and half that for the shorter route. Published info is wrong

54 or 74? I dont see a 54 option.

Sorry that was referring to the porcupine ridge which is on the same day.

54 or 74? I dont see a 54 option.

http://advendurance.com/nationalmtbseries/event/2017natmtb1/

Marathon is 72km with 1,398m gain and half-marathon 42k with 757m gain. As published on the event website.

Did the Porcupine long in 2016. At Water Point 2, which is at the base of the final ascent with a serious gradient, there was no water. Temperature was close to 40 degrees. I realise the heat created  some real thirsty riders and the location of the Water Point prevented a quick fix. In the end it was an eventful, thirsty-full first long ride for me.

Then I can also add that I have participated in 4 Nissan Trailseeker events and have enjoyed each of them immensely. Each events water points have always been a pleasure. The Trailseeker is organised by Advendurance who are the organisers of the Ashburton series. 

Looking forward to the half-marathon event on Saturday!