Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

Aynbody here use the 520 on more than one bike? I see on the Garmin website that the 520 does not support multiple bike profiles like the 820.

i use the 520 on 4 bikes...mtb...2 road bikes and a hybrid which is setup on a trainer. 

i have 2 hrm paired...1 i use when i use the indoor trainer and the other when i go for out rides.

i have a 510 cadence/speed sensor fitted on the hybrid...paired with the 520.

the 520 cadence sensor on the road bike...and i plan to get another 2 so that i dont have to move it to the other bikes.

i dont use the 520 speed sensor...havent found a need for it yet.

i did try connect a polar hrm to the mix...but i dont know if it is compatible...it wont connect.

all the other devices connect as required...had an issue when i got the 520...took it to garmin they removed the battery tuned it upside down...waiting a minute or so and refitted the battery...since then i put the hrm on..a little sweat and bingo the reading is on the display...and the same with the cadence and speed sensor which ever bike i ride the 520 links which ever device is activated automatically.

still need to figue out what i am doing wrong with the planned routes which i have loaded...i would have got lost had i relied on the route guide on the 520.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use the 520 on 4 bikes...mtb...2 road bikes and a hybrid which is setup on a trainer. 

i have 2 hrm paired...1 i use when i use the indoor trainer and the other when i go for out rides.

i have a 510 cadence/speed sensor fitted on the hybrid...paired with the 520.

the 520 cadence sensor on the road bike...and i plan to get another 2 so that i dont have to move it to the other bikes.

i dont use the 520 speed sensor...havent found a need for it yet.

i did try connect a polar hrm to the mix...but i dont know if it is compatible...it wont connect.

all the other devices connect as required...had an issue when i got the 520...took it to garmin they removed the battery tuned it upside down...waiting a minute or so and refitted the battery...since then i put the hrm on..a little sweat and bingo the reading is on the display...and the same with the cadence and speed sensor which ever bike i ride the 520 links which ever device is activated automatically.

still need to figue out what i am doing wrong with the planned routes which i have loaded...i would have got lost had i relied on the route guide on the 520.

Awesome thanx for the feedback, will test my bike sensors and the 520 next week / weekend (this weekend too many family stuff going on...sob-sob)  :wacko:

Just a note on the Heartrate monitor...I run some water (before riding) on the inside of the strap (where it fits on your chest area - there is also a grey coloured piece which I wet with water), not sure yet if the 520 and 500 strap looks the same) - this helps the HRM to pick up signal sooner and not wait for you to "sweat up" first...LOL....try it  :thumbup:

Awesome thanx for the feedback, will test my bike sensors and the 520 next week / weekend (this weekend too many family stuff going on...sob-sob) :wacko:

Just a note on the Heartrate monitor...I run some water (before riding) on the inside of the strap (where it fits on your chest area - there is also a grey coloured piece which I wet with water), not sure yet if the 520 and 500 strap looks the same) - this helps the HRM to pick up signal sooner and not wait for you to "sweat up" first...LOL....try it [emoji106]

Yay we finally got some info for your original question. Hope you get to ride it soon.

The straps are different. The 500 has the "harder" strap and the 520 has a very soft strap that you can remove the little battery pod thing. I actually saw yesterday when taking my strap off that there is a little picture on the tag showing a circle diagram. Says wear it 7 times. Remove pod. Wash in the washing machine. Wear 7 times and so on.

So I would like to know if anyone has been brave enough to pop it in the washing machine? If i do try it will be with my kit which is a gentle cycle and cold water.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Yay we finally got some info for your original question. Hope you get to ride it soon.

The straps are different. The 500 has the "harder" strap and the 520 has a very soft strap that you can remove the little battery pod thing. I actually saw yesterday when taking my strap off that there is a little picture on the tag showing a circle diagram. Says wear it 7 times. Remove pod. Wash in the washing machine. Wear 7 times and so on.

So I would like to know if anyone has been brave enough to pop it in the washing machine? If i do try it will be with my kit which is a gentle cycle and cold water.

baby wipes to clean it after a ride...or after a smelly sweaty ride it goes into the kitchen sink with a mix of sunlight rinse and on the oline...not hanging on the elastic section in case it stretches...and yes i do unclip one side of the pod when not in use...but it makes no difference to the 520 if both are close...the one i have on will link to the 520...but while pairing rather remove one pod then swop and pair.

if i were to put it in the washing machine i would put it in a sock and tie a knot.

i want to get more bags (like the one you get with assos bibs) to put my gloves etc into for the washing machine. 

I forgot to take the hrm off when i jumped in the pool...spent an hour in the pool...it seems to be fine...i dont see how there would be a problem with just the strap being washed.

My 500 has the same strap you explained, so I think the 520 should be the same then.

I have always (after 3, or 4 rides - depending on how I smell (LOL) just taken the strap, removed the pod and then washed the strap while in the shower (without any real soap, unless really sweaty) and then hang it up somewhere to dry...it's been 6 (odd) years and never had any issues with any of my heart rate straps and have never had the guts to chuck it in the washing machine either :eek: ...BUT I do not wait for 7 times before I wash them in the shower. I also do not scramble it up into a ball and wash it, gentle is the way to go and it still looks like new after 2 years of service.  :thumbup:

Yes you can wash the strap in the washing machine, just remove the pod with the battery, strap can go in with the clothes wash, hand up to dry and then re-attach the pod with the 2 button fasteners. 

Tried to connect the polar H1 hrm ...will not pair...however if I unclip the polar pod and fit the garmin hrm...the garmin pod works on the polar strap.

Bit useless info...I found if I want my heart rate to drop fast...take deep breathes and focus on the exhale.

Tried to connect the polar H1 hrm ...will not pair...however if I unclip the polar pod and fit the garmin hrm...the garmin pod works on the polar strap.

Bit useless info...I found if I want my heart rate to drop fast...take deep breathes and focus on the exhale.

Yes it works. Used it for many years during track running/HIIT training sessions.

For me it also helps to keep on moving around slowly, and not stand still or lie down.

Also lifts your hands to above your head (just place them on your head) when you breath in and out as above  :thumbup:

Not sure if this was covered in previous posts, but the Garmin 520 bundle (HRM + Cadence) is currently on special at Evans Cycling for £201.66 which is about R3k cheaper than SA. 

I have the 520 - don't know the others.

Here are a few issues:

1) I have also seen below sea level (- 19 meters) at the South Coast in December! You can manually fix the altitude if you stand on the beach! Alternatively bring snorkel on ride...

2) At a race I switched on the unit 5 minutes before the start and was chatting to my buddy... and the unit automatically started a 'scheduled software update'. @#$% - amount of pressing buttons couldn't stop the damn thing, and I lost 5-6 minutes of the race.

3) The ascent is ALWAYS different to Strava or other units (including Garmins)??? Sometimes by more than 10-15%. This I can't figure - so please anyone help. On some rides / races I am 200+ meters below everyone's ascent data (and I didn't take any shortcuts...).

• 1 month later...

I'm also in the position to choose between 820 and 520.

From my experience and lots of reading reviews the 820 doesn't scroll easily through data pages due the lag (slow response) on the touch screen.

I;n thinking of going to the 520 because don't want any problems while MTBing in the winter months with long gloves ect.

But then again I think you can just turn on the auto scroll feature on any Garmin Edge device?

I'm also in the position to choose between 820 and 520.

From my experience and lots of reading reviews the 820 doesn't scroll easily through data pages due the lag (slow response) on the touch screen.

I;n thinking of going to the 520 because don't want any problems while MTBing in the winter months with long gloves ect.

But then again I think you can just turn on the auto scroll feature on any Garmin Edge device?

I am going for the 520 for two reasons.  Price and I don't want a touch screen.

• 2 months later...

I am going for the 520 for two reasons. Price and I don't want a touch screen.

Have you been happy with the choice? Also considering the 520 over the 820

I cut a cell phone screen protector with a sharp blade and stuck it on my Egdes screen. I got the anti glare type so the screen visibility is much better in direct sunlight.

No problems scrolling or scratching of the screen. Easy to remove and replace when needed.

Have you been happy with the choice? Also considering the 520 over the 820

Sorry, still in process.  Will only be able to buy in three months.  Counting the sleeps  ^_^ .  But to be honest I might not be the best person to ask as I will be comparing to a 10-12 year old Polar 725 and Strava on a Iphone.

I cut a cell phone screen protector with a sharp blade and stuck it on my Egdes screen. I got the anti glare type so the screen visibility is much better in direct sunlight.

No problems scrolling or scratching of the screen. Easy to remove and replace when needed.

Good tip.  :thumbup:

Archived