Dropper on a hardtail?

scubes

Hi all

I am thinking of putting a dropper seatpost on my 29er Alu hardtail.

So I have been eyeing the Lynne 31.6mm 120mm dropper, and the Giant 125mm dropper for which I'll need a 30.9mm-31.6mm shim which seems hard to find.

They are similarly priced at around 2.2k. There is also the Forca SPS-400 on special for around 2k but it seems to have a rougher spring mechanism.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea? and if so which of these is a better move?

Hi scubes,

I recently put a Lyne dropper post onto my hardtail build. The dropper post itself works amazing. I did not realise how much i could actually do on my hardtail until i put on the dropper. I have a Lyne dropper on my full sus too. Never ever given me a problem.

Hope that helped.

Go for the Lyne.  They will also give you a shim for it if you ask!  Problem solved.

EDIT - never mind about the shim.  I misread your post.

Edited by dirtypot

A dropper should be an essential piece of kit, like a crank, or a wheelset. So go ahead and dropper all your bikes.

I've got a giant and a Lyne, both work 100%. So given the circumstances, I'd go with the Lyne.

Definitely go for it.

Got a dropper on my hardtail and on my trance. Rode hakahana on the weekend on the hardtail and that dropper came in REALLY handy on some of the more gnarly stuff! Was overtaking some of the guys on dual sus bikes on the downhills LOL

• 1 month later...

Great advice guys.

I think I am going to do this and go with the Lynne! 

Don't think - just do!!

You will ask why you had not done so sooner.

1st upgrade in my mind.

Yes, do it bro!

I've got the giant 125mm dropper on my hardtail and it has been flawless so far and comes with a 2yr warranty which is rad but if you have a 31.6 seat post I reckon go with the Lynne. I have only heard good things and while having a shim isn't the worst thing, no shim is better than shim.

This must be the first thread in hubland history where every single post has been a positive and recommending one....

I haven't seen one person say "don't do it"

I've always wanted to put a dropper on a hardtail but for some odd reason never got around to doing it.. my next MTB build will definitely have one on for sure!

Do it!!!

I have only ever experienced the Giant (of those two), which was good, but not great. I have heard amazing things about the Lyne, and apparently the guys over there are good to work with, so Ibwoukd definitely give them a try!