Your next road bike: disc or caliper brake

LOOK695

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why, despite being a Clydesdale, I'm a ripper in a gokart compared to the average population.

Go carts don't need brakes...

Doesn't matter how much say they have, it still wasn't a disk that caused that.

I also don't believe it was a disc. What I meant is that the riders should have more say concerning their safety

The problem with that video is that there's nothing in the shoe.  The shoe is soft, so it gives way to the disc, and won't cut.  Try it with a big potatoe shoved in the shoe, and 70kg weight pushing down.  And try it with a hot disc.

For another test, try:

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170225_02750888

(different rotors)

The problem with that video is that there's nothing in the shoe. The shoe is soft, so it gives way to the disc, and won't cut. Try it with a big potatoe shoved in the shoe, and 70kg weight pushing down. And try it with a hot disc.

For another test, try:

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170225_02750888

(different rotors)

He even used his finger....

Odd you don't see pro mountain bikers saying it's too dangerous... and they ride in big bunches too - I don't think it adds substantively to injury risks in a crash - but on a big wet descent it will aid safety in a big way - I suspect that pro cyclists haven't realised that the tire is the braking limiter on a bike - not the brakes - and disk brakes have so much better modulation they will allow you to brake closer to the tires traction limit more safely.

Also - it's going to allow stronger and longer lasting carbon rims without the wear surface for rim brakes - and removes rim overheating issues - a real problem on carbon wheels.

Mountain bikers are not silly and will never go back to rim brakes, as a result no arguments from that branch

When last did you see a mtb crash like this?

Todays Omloop Het Nieuwsblad crash that ended TB last chance of winning this classic, think TB was the only rider with discs today... :devil: 

post-182-0-50820000-1488044123_thumb.png

C'mon Doc you must admit there is a far greater chance of a disc related injury in pro road cycling than in any form of mtb

LOL that test is flawed from the start...

1. No accident scenario is going to play out in the manner they conducted the test

2. The tester is obviously in no way impartial wrt disc brakes AND check those nice gloves he is wearing for protection...JAAA i know it must be because those dangerous spinning spokes.

Despite the unlikeliness of such an even happening I would like to see him hold his elbow or knee against that spinning disc..... or more realistically simulate a peloton crash and swing the wheel disc side around and into his knee or elbow

They even go further and try cut flesh

Warning: scientific testing but no animals were hurt in the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-p5WPanJXA

The real reason I'm against disc brakes on road bikes is not really for safety reasons and admittedly I'm just using as ammunition for my argument against disc brakes on road bikes

Mountain bikers are not silly and will never go back to rim brakes, as a result no arguments from that branch

When last did you see a mtb crash like this?

Todays Omloop Het Nieuwsblad crash that ended TB last chance of winning this classic, think TB was the only rider with discs today... :devil:

Capture3.PNG

C'mon Doc you must admit there is a far greater chance of a disc related injury in pro road cycling than in any form of mtb

LOL that test is flawed from the start...

1. No accident scenario is going to play out in the manner they conducted the test

2. The tester is obviously in no way impartial wrt disc brakes AND check those nice gloves he is wearing for protection...JAAA i know it must be because those dangerous spinning spokes.

Despite the unlikeliness of such an even happening I would like to see him hold his elbow or knee against that spinning disc..... or more realistically simulate a peloton crash and swing the wheel disc side around and into his knee or elbow

They even go further and try cut flesh

Warning: scientific testing but no animals were hurt in the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-p5WPanJXA

The real reason I'm against disc brakes on road bikes is not really for safety reasons and admittedly I'm just using as ammunition for my argument against disc brakes on road bikes

The chance of injury in a pro road race is higher than in most races - do disks make it statistically more dangerous- No - let's assume they are as dangerous as chainring... how many chainring injuries have you seen documented in the Pelton in the last year? How many traffic barriers have been hit? How many team cars? How many spoke related injuries?

How.many carbon rims have failed for heat reasons in the Peleton? How many have come close to failing that just get swapped out by mechanics?

It's a question of perspective but all the arguments are emotive and not factual.

Engineering wise - discs are better and safer for a rider - the only possible argument against disks is in the event of a crash that they might be more dangerous than calipers... might.... and yet no mtb er will ride calipers by choice because discs are better and safer to ride.... for the rider....

Edited by V12man

The chance of injury in a pro road race is higher than in most races - do disks make it statistically more dangerous- No - let's assume they are as dangerous as chainring... how many chainring injuries have you seen documented in the Pelton in the last year? How many traffic barriers have been hit? How many team cars? How many spoke related injuries?

How.many carbon rims have failed for heat reasons in the Peleton? How many have come close to failing that just get swapped out by mechanics?

It's a question of perspective but all the arguments are emotive and not factual.

Engineering wise - discs are better and safer for a rider - the only possible argument against disks is in the event of a crash that they might be more dangerous than calipers... might.... and yet no mtb er will ride calipers by choice because discs are better and safer to ride.... for the rider....

post-4949-0-02128600-1488057943_thumb.jpg