Your next road bike: disc or caliper brake

LOOK695

You weren't out on this Roubaix this morning in the cradle were you? I saw someone on a disc-equipped, wide-ish tyres, drop bar, similar shape to the Roubaix. Didn't get a close enough look, but was intrigued......

No it was over the weekend but the guys from the Specialized Store in Cedar ride there and they often take this bike. Probably was them.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last comment before I leave the battered foreheads and bloody walls here.... the real benefit is in not having to manufacture rims with brake surfaces. There is no heat transfer onto the rim. Wider rims help the tires behave better etc...

Honest question. As this is about road bikes, how wide would one want to go running 25c tyres ?

And how wide a tyre would one want for road riding/racing?

I've never ridden Stelvio. But I do a 1,400 metre climb with 108m ascent at the start of every ride from home. Naturally it's a descent at the end of my ride. With 7 speed humps. With discs I only brake for the stop sign and the humps to wash off some speed. No way I would be happy to do that on rim brakes.

There is no doubt that discs are better in extreme situations like your home downhill.

I've also never done stelvio but I do get to do a few loooong steep descents in my area but have never ever thought that I need discs... no doubt they would work better in these situations but imo the rim brakes are not that bad to make me want to change.

I've also ridden some pretty long tar and dirt descents on my mtb with xtr disc brakes and experienced some weird behavior and poor braking due to heat build up on these long descents.... so I wonder how a road bike disc with smaller discs and less pad surface would behave...

I've never had brake fade with my ultegra rim brakes yet... granted have not ridden the same descents as mentioned on my mtb but still some pretty long and steep descents.

I can understand that some want discs on their road bikes...

I just hope the manufacturers don't force everyone to go this route and provide top end bikes with rim brake options....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw this in CyclingNews. Massive statement about best improvment:

Boonen to race on disc brakes throughout 2017

'It's the biggest improvement I've seen in my career' says Belgian

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/01/01/2/boonen_1_other_670.jpg
http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/01/13/2/sptdw4008_670.jpg

Peter Sagan's custom Specialized Venge ViAS disc bike

After 15 years on traditional caliper brakes, Tom Boonen is breaking the mould in 2017 as he is set to race the final season of his career on disc brakes.

The Belgian has been testing out Specialized's new S-Works Venge ViAS Disc model over the winter, and was suitably impressed to take it to Argentina for his first race of the 2017 campaign, the Vuelta a San Juan.

"It's the biggest improvement I've seen in my career on bikes, so it would be stupid not to use it," the Belgian told Cyclingnews in Argentina after a final training ride ahead of Monday's first stage.

The Quick-Step Floors team remain coy about Boonen's exact set-up for Paris-Roubaix in April, the highly anticipated final race of his illustrious career, with testing to be done in the coming months, both on the Venge and the cobble-specific Roubaix bike. He will however, certainly be on the Venge and on discs for the rest of the Spring Classics.

"I had a Tarmac with discs at home last year and trained on it a lot, still with quick release, then I had the new Roubaix with the thru-axles, then at training camp in December I was for the first time on the Venge – the real race bike – and I decided to go for it," said Boonen.  "They work better, they're easier to control, they lock out less fast than normal brakes. Of course I can control normal brakes but with disc brakes you have so much more feeling. It's the biggest improvement I've seen in my career – I don't know what all the hassle is about."

Hassle arose less than four months into the UCI's trial period last April, when Fran Ventoso suffered a deep gash to his leg last Paris-Roubaix and blamed it on a disc rotor. The trial was swiftly halted, but the new braking system – which has been used in other disciplines for years – has been re-introduced for the 2017 season with manufacturers developing safer 'rounded' discs.

The Quick-Step Floors team are carrying out a limited trial themselves in the early part of the 2017 season, with just Boonen and Marcel Kittel racing with disc brakes for the time being. Kittel will make his debut at the Dubai Tour at the end of this month on the Venge.

The team is using Shimano’s R-785 series, with 160mm rotors on the front and rear, both paired with 12mm thru-axles. World champion Peter Sagan has opted for a 140mm rotor on the rear, but QuickStep are sticking with the standard set by the UCI for neutral support vehicles, which hand out spare wheels to riders in the even of punctures.

Cyclingnews will have a gallery of Boonen's disc-equipped Venge ViAS that he's using at the Vuelta a San Juan, along with the full specifications sheet, on Monday.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen-to-race-on-disc-brakes-throughout-2017/

If UCI finally legalizes disc brakes, I suppose that the rules will include the required usage of rounded discs

I said earlier on this thread that disk road bike would never be able to look as good as a bike with caliper brakes....

I take that back!!! That new Venge looks stunning :drool:

Saw this in CyclingNews. Massive statement about best improvment:

Boonen to race on disc brakes throughout 2017

'It's the biggest improvement I've seen in my career' says Belgian

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/01/01/2/boonen_1_other_670.jpg

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/01/13/2/sptdw4008_670.jpg

Peter Sagan's custom Specialized Venge ViAS disc bike

After 15 years on traditional caliper brakes, Tom Boonen is breaking the mould in 2017 as he is set to race the final season of his career on disc brakes.

The Belgian has been testing out Specialized's new S-Works Venge ViAS Disc model over the winter, and was suitably impressed to take it to Argentina for his first race of the 2017 campaign, the Vuelta a San Juan.

"It's the biggest improvement I've seen in my career on bikes, so it would be stupid not to use it," the Belgian told Cyclingnews in Argentina after a final training ride ahead of Monday's first stage.

The Quick-Step Floors team remain coy about Boonen's exact set-up for Paris-Roubaix in April, the highly anticipated final race of his illustrious career, with testing to be done in the coming months, both on the Venge and the cobble-specific Roubaix bike. He will however, certainly be on the Venge and on discs for the rest of the Spring Classics.

"I had a Tarmac with discs at home last year and trained on it a lot, still with quick release, then I had the new Roubaix with the thru-axles, then at training camp in December I was for the first time on the Venge – the real race bike – and I decided to go for it," said Boonen. "They work better, they're easier to control, they lock out less fast than normal brakes. Of course I can control normal brakes but with disc brakes you have so much more feeling. It's the biggest improvement I've seen in my career – I don't know what all the hassle is about."

Hassle arose less than four months into the UCI's trial period last April, when Fran Ventoso suffered a deep gash to his leg last Paris-Roubaix and blamed it on a disc rotor. The trial was swiftly halted, but the new braking system – which has been used in other disciplines for years – has been re-introduced for the 2017 season with manufacturers developing safer 'rounded' discs.

The Quick-Step Floors team are carrying out a limited trial themselves in the early part of the 2017 season, with just Boonen and Marcel Kittel racing with disc brakes for the time being. Kittel will make his debut at the Dubai Tour at the end of this month on the Venge.

The team is using Shimano’s R-785 series, with 160mm rotors on the front and rear, both paired with 12mm thru-axles. World champion Peter Sagan has opted for a 140mm rotor on the rear, but QuickStep are sticking with the standard set by the UCI for neutral support vehicles, which hand out spare wheels to riders in the even of punctures.

Cyclingnews will have a gallery of Boonen's disc-equipped Venge ViAS that he's using at the Vuelta a San Juan, along with the full specifications sheet, on Monday.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen-to-race-on-disc-brakes-throughout-2017/

Did Sagan use that thing during the TDU ?

Boonen's last year as a pro.... he might do better choosing a lighter weapon to go out on....,

I can't wait until all road bikes come with discs, going to start a new thread on fixing squeaks and kreeks

????????

Did Sagan use that thing during the TDU ?

Boonen's last year as a pro.... he might do better choosing a lighter weapon to go out on....,

I can't wait until all road bikes come with discs, going to start a new thread on fixing squeaks and kreeks

As Tommeke puts down thousands of watts and climbs the Koppenburg at 1.5 million kph I don't think bike weight worries him. Having said that I don't think it is much over the legal minimum anyway.

Interestingly my discs have only squeaked once on my road bike, that was in a light drizzle. But the tandem has the avid squeal every time the brakes are used in desperate need.

As Tommeke puts down thousands of watts and climbs the Koppenburg at 1.5 million kph I don't think bike weight worries him. Having said that I don't think it is much over the legal minimum anyway.

Interestingly my discs have only squeaked once on my road bike, that was in a light drizzle. But the tandem has the avid squeal every time the brakes are used in desperate need.

Read the cycling news article on Sagans venga disc version being over 8 kg..... dont think he rode it preferring for some reason the rim brake version, guessing because of the weight and not because he prefers rim brakes....

That's another type of squeak... I was referring to the much more silent chir chir squeak... the one that the pads make as they touch the disc at one spot every revolution of the wheel.... ????

That's another type of squeak... I was referring to the much more silent chir chir squeak... the one that the pads make as they touch the disc at one spot every revolution of the wheel....

Haha.

YES! and knowing that it's just EATING your speed.

http://www.motoskinzfx.co.uk/images/procar_frntdisc%20gd.jpg

surely this is all that is needed for UCI to change their minds, doesn't even have to be that strong...

http://www.motoskinzfx.co.uk/images/procar_frntdisc%20gd.jpg

surely this is all that is needed for UCI to change their minds, doesn't even have to be that strong...

At least 36 spokes on that wheel?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

At least 36 spokes on that wheel?

just maybe that's not a road bike wheel and used for illustration  :ph34r:

just maybe that's not a road bike wheel and used for illustration :ph34r:

I'm not a roadie so I wouldn't know but it looked odd. Stands to reason that braking forces generated at the hub by a disc must be transmitted via spokes to the tyre's contact patch so the spokes might need to be a bit more beefy than a rim braked wheel but still?

Archived