Bolt Broke in Seat Post Clamp

AlanD

Hi All,

Was adjusting my seat post on my ride today one of the bolts snapped while adjusting. Its a two bolt design clamp, a bit stupid, but this is the only time where it was thankful I had it as the second bolt still kept the seat post in place.

The top bolt has broken with a piece left in the side that the bolt screws onto and the head potion of the bolt has snapped.

Any ideas on how to get it out? Probably have to drill it out.

Thanks

post-57045-0-79796700-1483521682_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-08620400-1483521824_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-78210200-1483521840_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-93024400-1483521857_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-97597000-1483521874_thumb.jpg

I see it's not in a blind hole, so you could hopefully use a normal HSS drill bit and drill into it. The drilling torque should turn it out (clockwise).

Otherwise Eezi-Out.

Otherwise see post above.

Good luck.

Dont drill it out as you will probably damage the threads and then the clamp is useless .

The bolt is to small to drill a hole and then use an ease out. 

I suggest you put it in a vice and use a small sharp punch to try and rotate broken bolt out the way it was screwed in. 

With a bit of patients you will get it out. I suggest that as your bike came with a double bolt system continue using one as it clamps over a larger area than a single bolt clamp.

Good luck ! You will get it out !

Hi All,

Was adjusting over tightening my seat post on my ride today one of the bolts snapped while. over tighteningIts a two bolt design clamp, a bit stupid, but this is the only time where it was thankful I had it as the second bolt still kept the seat post in place.

The top bolt has broken with a piece left in the side that the bolt screws onto and the head potion of the bolt has snapped.

Thanks

fixed it for you .......

once its out

its time to buy a 5 Nm torque key :thumbup:

Agree on keeping the same clamp as its a larger area and the seat tube has a groove where the clamp sits in perfectly.

I dont have a vice but will see what else i can do.

Also don't really want to remove the clamp as the means removing the dropper post, disconnecting the cable and redoing it again, it was a finicky job but if i must, i will *SIGH*

fixed it for you .......

once its out

its time to buy a 5 Nm torque key :thumbup:

Hahaha, ja maybe i was over tightening it. I have a torque wrench thatni used butnon the trail i dont have anything

if you ride carbon or have carbon bits you should have one of these

5nm means 5nm

not a quarter turn back after it makes a crackling sound :w00t: 

hope you come right

post-85316-0-87460300-1483523892_thumb.jpg

I see it's not in a blind hole, so you could hopefully use a normal HSS drill bit and drill into it. The drilling torque should turn it out (clockwise).

Otherwise Eezi-Out.

Otherwise see post above.

Good luck.

Agreed.  Start with a small drill to get it centred on the end of the bolt and then try a larger one.  A good deal of care is required not to damage the thread.  If the broken bolt is proud of the thread in the clamp slot you can use a bolt extractor from that side.  The best are Grabit Pro which have a left hand drill bit on the one side and an extractor on the other.

Hada good look and there is no way to try and srew it out as there is too little bolt to even grip onto.

I will to try drill bit not today, going to ride early tomorrow (the other bolt will hold the seat post) and then slend the day carefully trying to drill it out. Done something like this before on my old bike.

take a dremel or hacksaw blade, gently cut a groove into the part of the bolt sticking out, then unscrew with a flat screwdriver, 4th photo looks like there is enough sticking out to do this, takes 5min.

Hi All,

Was adjusting my seat post on my ride today one of the bolts snapped while adjusting. Its a two bolt design clamp, a bit stupid, but this is the only time where it was thankful I had it as the second bolt still kept the seat post in place.

Thanks

Note where it says on the clamp that the maximum recommended torque is 5 Nm.... That is much less than hand-tight with a typical cycling multitool. If your post still slips there is a different problem.

Also, for future reference, Stainless steel allen screw in alloy clamp thread WILL SEIZE UP if not lubricated with an anti-seize paste like copaslip.

To get the remaining bit of bolt out will be tricky. The white corrosion deposit visible in your pics tells me it is likely seized. So spray a penetrating fluid like Q10, let it soak overnight, then drill carefully for suitably sized 'eeze-out' extractor and gently as possible, extract the broken bit. Then apply copaslip to the new bolts before fitting them.

It might be easier to buy a new clamp. Consider using carbon assembly paste on the seatpost if it tends to slip.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5nm means 5nm

Maybe being pedantic but 5nm means 5 nanometers (length) and 5 Nm means 5 Newton meters (torque)..... [emoji48]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Carbon paste solved my slipping problem after also breaking bolt and having to replace original with a tungsten bolt form Bolt & Nut.

LBS (BMC) got the bolt out with some ingenuity and elbow grease.

Archived