Helmets Safety Tool, or Fools Device

Patchelicious

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No helmet, no ride! 

It's like insurance - no one wants it, but when it counts, it's there for you. 

I Do believe that it is a Safety feature.

I was hit by a taxi about 5 years ago now and my Bell was in three pieces. I had a little bit of concussion and couldn't remember to lekker for a day or two. (Actually up to today I still forget things)

Doctor's comments said that if I did not have a helmet on my head I probably would be here today.

weather we believe that it is a safety tool or a myth does not really matter. Cycling rules determine that we should be wearing helmets.

that's that for me obviously!

glad your ok - happy to FORGET what my last service cost , my new bike the ASSOS pants and  and and , its like 50 first dates

these days it also crime protection against the BAsTARD wanting your precious and then moer you over the kop - they should actually test the helmets in SA for moering as well

Edited by Heel Drop

Do we have any Poles?

Are the Poles to keep this thread upright and on track? I thought it was a Thread for a Poll on the Safety of Helmets  :ph34r:

Are the Poles to keep this thread upright and on track? I thought it was a Thread for a Poll on the Safety of Helmets  :ph34r:

I think Patch used to much Polish remover...so no poll here.

Hubby was knocked off his bike by some thugs who had eyes for his singlespeed.. he landed on the back of his head (if you look where the helmet broke).. I reckon had he not worn that helmet he would've been lights out or worse and not been able to defend himself and keep his ride... so yip in our family it is no helmet no ride...finished and klaar.[emoji6]

I read some Australian research showing that cars pass about half a meter closer to cyclists wearing helmets than to those who don't, adding a certain risk level to wearing a helmet.

Never having been to Australia, I may be wrong, but I don't believe Homo Taxidriverius occurs there, so the research may well not be applicable here.

i have this theory that if i ride slowly be it on the beachfront or where ever i dont need to wear a helmet...so when i ride in slops with my camelbac...saddlebag and tool bottle...no helmet.

a couple weeks ago...i finished my ride to Balito and some (100km +) wearing my helmet...i went for my coffee at the coffee guys...then along the Moyo pier...cruising along slowly (aware of the gaps in the concrete as i always warn my daughter) as i went around the front of the pier both wheels went into the gap over the handle bars head first.

the recovery was so fast that the person hadnt even finished his sentence asking me if i was ok and i was already back on the bike and off down the pier.

I felt a little dizzy as i rode away...had i not been wearing a helmet would the injury have been bad...i dont think so...but who knows.

do i promote wearing a helmet hell yes...my daughter will always wear a helmet until she is old enough to make the choice.

i never wore a leather jacket (just a Tshirt) when i rode my super bike (R1) some say i was crazy travelling a little faster than i should have...i believe it kept me from going past my riding capabilities.

i believe you make the choice...if under 18...you make the choice for them...my daughter knows no helmet no ride...even if she just rides on the driveway.

Edited by isetech

Helmet - safety tool. Tick!

Justification, if required:

1. Personal experience: All my crashes from a bicycle, motorbike, or a horse (yes I know the last 2 are differing scenarios) have all involved me landing on my head, on my helmet (Maybe I'm top heavy?) with no noticeable injury to my head or neck. I've been thankful that I had a lid on.

2. Exposed vs Brave: I feel very exposed without one (I've ridden with a helmet since age 20), rather than brave with one. I believe there's a difference.

3. Mitigation of 'minor' impacts: I believe (I emphasise the belief bit) that helmets reduce the potential effect of minor head impacts. eg cuts, bruises, mild concussion etc from impact with the bike, the deck or branches, posts etc.

4. Mitigation of the 1:1,000,000 events. If I can force those odds to 1:1,000,001 from wearing a helmet, it seems worth the chance to me, especially if that day is day 1,000,000.

5. A major accident: I reckon the odds of survival are driven by so many factors, that will swamp those arising from whether I have a helmet on or not. But I'll be wearing a helmet, hopefully, on that unfortunate day, and if I make it out, I need something to post on here as an 'I told you so'! 

PS I'm a roadie. Don't do MTB cos I have *** skills, so I know I'll be eating dirt lots. If I did MTB, I'd still have a helmet plus condom, full body-bandage etc.