sram guide brakes battling in the heat

NickGM

Its summer and the SRAM brake curse has reared its head on my 2018 Guides. Last couple of rides the rear brake lever has started to display the slow lever return nonsense... I am loathe to start rebuilding brake levers. The things are 13 months old.

I had mine warrantied when they started doing the same. Might be worth a try?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had mine warrantied when they started doing the same. Might be worth a try?

IF the serial number of Headshot's brakes falls within the range SRAM considers "affected" then CS will warranty the brakes despite being out of warranty. Its a known issue for South Africa

Its summer and the SRAM brake curse has reared its head on my 2018 Guides. Last couple of rides the rear brake lever has started to display the slow lever return nonsense... I am loathe to start rebuilding brake levers. The things are 13 months old.

2 year warranty, so if you've got PoP you're good to go.

Aside from everyone shutting down on Friday.

IF the serial number of Headshot's brakes falls within the range SRAM considers "affected" then CS will warranty the brakes despite being out of warranty. Its a known issue for South Africa

Worldwide actually

Except for you of course #callout

Same issue with SRAM Guide's at Berg and Bush..

I had the same issue at berg & bush last year... the mechanic told me that's its a common problem in SA with the heat.... unfortunately they were badly scratched on the bike rack coming home so a warranty is out of the question.

Yip I pulled out of a deal with a set of Guide brakes after I was told the set in question has the same problem. Got a negative review from the seller but beter than sitting with something with issues.

Do you know what the range is? Maybe I can try warranty mine?

I'm to believe all of them including the DB5's as well, except the new ones with the S2 calipers, these are the ones that use the Edge bleeding tool. SRAM claimed the issue was resolved with these

If they out of warranty, it's not the end of the world buy the kit and you can replace the pistons. It's the same issue as with the Shimano XT 785 model.

Yip I pulled out of a deal with a set of Guide brakes after I was told the set in question has the same problem. Got a negative review from the seller but beter than sitting with something with issues.

Check the 2nd post of this thread, there's a "guide" on how the fix was done on the XT brakes, it's almost exactly the same like the Guides.

I'll try and do the manaul for the guides this weekend or sometime soon, the complete strip sand and fix for it

mine had the piston replaced, so effectively a repair. But it was gratis.

I had the same issue at berg & bush last year... the mechanic told me that's its a common problem in SA with the heat.... unfortunately they were badly scratched on the bike rack coming home so a warranty is out of the question.

The scratching and the binding are unrelated. Send them in.

Archived