Cleat Removal

Sitting slip

I assume the allen head is rounded?

Good clean, soak in penetrating oil overnight, hammer in a posi drive, which is larger than the hole, try and use an even pressure to unscrew.

Failing that you can drill them out with a hand drill, just make sure the drill bit is small enough to not damage the threads in the shoe.

I've found that just drilling in a little, then reversing the direction of the drill works most times.

Good luck!

If the Allen head is a bit messed or rounded, try a hex key, sometimes it is enough to grip so that you can unscrew. Soak in penetrative fluid first.

Old Allen key & superglue

Drip 0.0000000004 ml superglue into the head thingy.

Insert Allen Key

Let Dry

Remove cleat screw  

Clean and repeat

Try stretching a rubber band over the nut then push the hex key into the rubber. The rubber should provide enough grip to loosen the nut.

Old Allen key & superglue

Drip 0.0000000004 ml superglue into the head thingy.

Insert Allen Key

Let Dry

Remove cleat screw  

Clean and repeat

CLEVER   ill store this idea away for a first try next time I have stuck screw :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Hi guys

Anyone got some tips or know someone who can drill out cleat of old shoes?

use a reverse twist drill... usual will come out without more intervention than that

If all of the above fails drill a 3mm hole in the bolt almost all the way through then take a small "easy out" and put n , the larger ones don't work with cleat bolts ( don't know why)

Easy out you can get from chamberlains/adendorf/ builders ect. ect. costs like R80 for a pac of 5 and trust me you use them a lot.

Try stretching a rubber band over the nut then push the hex key into the rubber. The rubber should provide enough grip to loosen the nut.

You can also use steel wool in the same way.

If all of the above fails drill a 3mm hole in the bolt almost all the way through then take a small "easy out" and put n , the larger ones don't work with cleat bolts ( don't know why)

Easy out you can get from chamberlains/adendorf/ builders ect. ect. costs like R80 for a pac of 5 and trust me you use them a lot.

Alot of people don't know what or how to use an easy out... to me, it's one of my best tools ever....

Had the same problem a few weeks back

Use a small grinder and thin blade and cut a slot to the top of the screw. You can even cut through the plastic of the old cleat. But cutting must be done real carefully and the blade should not go to the shoe sole...

Use then a big flat screwdriver to loosen.

Used this method also to loosen stripped rotor bolts on my mtb wheel.

Fanx guys

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

I'm actually quite curious which one of the mentioned hints and tips you used, and which worked  :D

Archived