What light to get?

chris_meowzit

Busy looking at this now, would you recommend this model? Im starting to do early morning rides this year so need something to light my way

The entry level extremelight is all you need. I've been doing mtb night rides with its predecessor since 2010, and got the extremelight xp1 a year ago for my wife. It's a great little light.

You don't need more light than that, but you will always want more light. Tbh, if you struggle and you need more light than that, you probably need to go to an optometrist.

That being said, the more light, the better, so buy to the max of your budget.

I have been impressed by the Bontrager Ion 700 light, very small and compact and has enough run time for a 2-3 hr ride so should be plenty for a morning jaunt....

I also have the monster Extreme Lights which I use for the longer 24hr events as it has a better run time.

Hi All,

looking to buy a light, any recommendations on a decent light and also how many lumens should I look at? Is 1000 sufficient or would something higher be recommended?

Was looking at something along these lines, http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/bicycle-light-1000-lumens

Thanks in advanced for the advice and feedback.

Cheers,

Chris.

I bought that one from cwc when it was on sale for R499 . Used it for 2 mtb night rides and been happy with it

The entry level extremelight is all you need. I've been doing mtb night rides with its predecessor since 2010, and got the extremelight xp1 a year ago for my wife. It's a great little light.

You don't need more light than that, but you will always want more light. Tbh, if you struggle and you need more light than that, you probably need to go to an optometrist.

That being said, the more light, the better, so buy to the max of your budget.

So, you don't need a really strong light, but you'll want more light, but if you need more light your eyes are bad, but the more light the better, so just buy the strongest light?  :huh:

hehehe

I have a no name brand light which I bought off bidorbuy for really cheap about 2 years ago. Was a really powerful light that I even used for night time game drives. Lasted long as well. But alas, as with most no name brands, it stopped working and there is obviously no place to get it repaired.

So I bought a XT11GT light from Klarus. It's not a light specifically for cycling, but it fits into a mtb bracket that I got years ago with my Led Lenser. 2000 lumens. Lasts only about 50mins in full power mode, but even the high setting is close to 1000 lumens I think and more than enough light for a bike ride. I rather bought this instead of another bike light which has an external battery and a cable, which is clumsy to use for anything other than a bike ride.

I won a voucher for Extreme Lights a couple years ago and bought myself the old 1.4K from Extreme Lights.

My buddies were all so impressed with the 1100 lumens that 3 of them ordered themselves the XP1. Two of those three stopped working properly due to faulty chips, no fault of the owner. Extreme lights refused to cover the return shipping costs.

Long story short, the lights are nice but Extreme Lights are going to make you pay if they give you a faulty light.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Extreme Light Endurance is hands down one of the best products, never mind lights, that I have bought.

If you have cash, buy it. It will be the one light for everything you will ever need. From early coffee rides to 24hours events....

So, you don't need a really strong light, but you'll want more light, but if you need more light your eyes are bad, but the more light the better, so just buy the strongest light? :huh:

hehehe

Net so!

Let me try to rephrase.

The 1000lm light is sufficient. You don't really need more than that. (Or you need to eat your carrots.) That is the sufficiency baseline. It's tried and tested and it works.

But you will probably want more than that. Light envy is real.

So to avoid light envy, get the best light you can justify.

And if one of your friends has a zakspy deluxy super duper stadium light that burns grass fields two farms over, don't let him ride behind you. Riding in your own shadow sucks. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Archived