Sealant in road tubes?

Butterbean

I saw a YouTube video of a guy that put a bit of glitter in with the stans to make it a bit "thicker" and to help seal slightly larger punctures. Haven't tried it myself but maybe worth a go. If it doesn't work at least it will be prettier when your tyre spews it out all over you and the bike.

Mmmmm, going to try and get some metallic blue glitter to match my bike.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sommer going to try all of these things.. because I am getting too good at changing tubes on the Road bike..I don't need to be this good at it.[emoji12]

Instead of using sealant in your tubes, why dont you get a puncture resistent tyre such as the Conti gatorskins or Spez armidillo? I ride Gatorskins and ride on average 4 times a week, almost always riding through glass scattered in the road and only punctured once this past year. And the puncture was due to a nail stuck in the tyre so im sure sealant wouldnt of helped in any case.

If its for commuter and you running 3 -4 bar, it might work, but it DOES NOT work for higher pressures , creates very nice spray everywhere and then you sit with a sticky messy flat tyre to fix and a patch wont hold on the spilled sealant...

Not even prefilled road tubes seals at high pressure, well, not that i've seen, had to fix many a noobs flats with slime everywhere.

Token is advertising tubes with sealant for up to 12 bar .. but never tried it, so cannot say, costly though.

it doesn't work at 110kpa -sticky mess sprays everywhere (it was ugly) and a very small puncture - rider last seen cleaning up mess with a water bottle on road side - shame ^_^ (he survived but we enjoyed laughing at him )

maybe at low pressure it would have worked or if you used the fancy tubes from token  

but its also a weight in the tyre that's not balanced and don't know what that's going to do for your handling at speed etc (maybe im just being stupid and its not going to do anything )

Not sure I agree. Admittedly I've never put sealant in a tube but I have been running tubeless road tyres exclusively since I flatted in Sea Point and did a 3:00:30 in that bike race in 2013. Even on my tandem.

I ride with my tyres at 110psi.  When I have punctured I have noticed only small little spray of white stuff but by the time I stop to check and remove the glass and spin the wheel the hole seals up and on I go.

Checking pressure when I get home shows a pressure of between 80psi and 90psi. And as this has only happened to me in winter rain I've been happy to live with that loss rather than fumble around with levers and tubes. Tubeless runs as low as 60psi safely.

With tubeless available WHY would anyone bother with tubes with sealant I ask myself often.

Edit: I use GEAX sealant. Stans is a great marketing pioneer but pretty poor sealant.

Edited by carbon29er

I just removed a set of tubeless tyres - been a bit of a hit and miss, not knowing when they suddenly going to lose pressure.

Not sure if it's the tyres or the rims.

May try them again on another wheeleset.

I just removed a set of tubeless tyres - been a bit of a hit and miss, not knowing when they suddenly going to lose pressure.

Not sure if it's the tyres or the rims.

May try them again on another wheeleset.

What tyres and wheels?

Did they lose pressure on a ride or between rides?

Did you use sealant?

There is a sealant used on moto-cross bikes called fug it. Locally manufactured and quite thick. Have used that at high pressures before with great success although not on road bikes. Maybe it's worth a try

I'm running schwalbe pro one tyres on AC victory 30 tubeless compatible rims.

Riding in the cradle today I got a large piece of glass in my tyre. Had to stop to take the piece of glass out. Then just spun the tyre, bombed it and I was good to go. I reckon it would have sealed perfectly if the large shard of glass didn't remain in the tyre.

Have about 30ml of stans in each tyre. Reminds me, I need to go and top this up now...

I'm running schwalbe pro one tyres on AC victory 30 tubeless compatible rims.

Riding in the cradle today I got a large piece of glass in my tyre. Had to stop to take the piece of glass out. Then just spun the tyre, bombed it and I was good to go. I reckon it would have sealed perfectly if the large shard of glass didn't remain in the tyre.

Have about 30ml of stans in each tyre. Reminds me, I need to go and top this up now...

Fabulous tyres. Probably the best tubeless by some way.

What tyres and wheels?

Did they lose pressure on a ride or between rides?

Did you use sealant?

Schwalbe One Tubeless with sealant. (Stans)

Lost pressure between rides, during rides and sometimes it would be fine.

Wheels are carbon - you should be familiar with them. ;)

Edited by Thomo

Not sure I agree. Admittedly I've never put sealant in a tube but I have been running tubeless road tyres exclusively since I flatted in Sea Point and did a 3:00:30 in that bike race in 2013. Even on my tandem.

I ride with my tyres at 110psi. When I have punctured I have noticed only small little spray of white stuff but by the time I stop to check and remove the glass and spin the wheel the hole seals up and on I go.

Checking pressure when I get home shows a pressure of between 80psi and 90psi. And as this has only happened to me in winter rain I've been happy to live with that loss rather than fumble around with levers and tubes. Tubeless runs as low as 60psi safely.

With tubeless available WHY would anyone bother with tubes with sealant I ask myself often.

Edit: I use GEAX sealant. Stans is a great marketing pioneer but pretty poor sealant.

I was just telling hubby that the next upgrade I do on the RB is a set of tubeless wheels .. but it will have to wait a bit..I just bought an new handlebar ..so my budget for upgrades is a bit depleted atm[emoji85] Edited by Gen

Schwalbe One Tubeless with sealant. (Stans)

Lost pressure between rides, during rides and sometimes it would be fine.

Wheels are carbon - you should be familiar with them. ;)

Sounds like a seating issue to me. If the tyres bead properly, you would never lose air

Sounds like a seating issue to me. If the tyres bead properly, you would never lose air

My first road tubeless so trial and error.

I suspect the same, so will definitely try them on my other wheelset before I make any judgement.

Of course, it could be a dud tyre set in which case, mounting on the other wheels isn't going to tell me much.

Edited by Thomo

My first road tubeless so trial and error.

I suspect the same, so will definitely try them on my other wheelset before I make any judgement.

Of course, it could be a dud tyre set in which case, mounting on the other wheels isn't going to tell me much.

wet the sealing surface if the tire and rim with sealant immediately before pumping it up - you need to be quick but it helps create an airtight seal - it's a bit messy and having a wet sponge handy for cleanup helps -I use a 40mm odd paintbrush and try get the rim and tire in 1 stroke.

Once the tire is on the rim properly then hold the wheel horizontal and get some sealant in the bead area all round the tire and coat the sidewalls too.

Schwalbe One usually seat well.  What tape did you use? I find the American Classic 2 part system the best. And I've tried the lot. The valve is also important. I find AC red MTB ones the best but a bit short at 42mm so have Schwalbe extenders with a thread. I found some 80mm on Amazon to bought a few. Problem with deeper section carbon is usually the valve or not enough tape. And one has to import your own.

Once sealed they stay sealed but like any rubber compound, tubes included, they can lose air when not used.

I made an inflater bomb out of a coke bottle, road tubeless seal at about 50psi. I'm now so cocky I add the sealant when flat and use my coke bomb. No mess and done in one. But I used to inflate until the pop, leave for a while at 100psi then deflate and add sealant.

The volume from the coke bomb is adequate to seal a new tyre without soap or mess.

If you want pop round and I'll help see what the problem is with your rims/tape/tyre combo. Just PM or whatsapp me.

I'm new to road biking having been riding on the mountain for a few years - and before that as a beginner using my old entry level mtb on the roads. 

I've been advised that having liquid in the tube can unbalance the wheel and create handling difficulties. Interested in opinions and experiences on that?

I have on my desk an unopened bottle of a green liquid called slime I got at Sportsman's Warehouse. This claims to seal tread area punctures up to 3mm. Good idea to put the recommended 118ml into my tubes on my new road bike.