Sealant in road tubes?

Butterbean

So I've been using sealant in mtb tubes for a while with great effect. I then converted to tubeless, and that too was wonderful.

Then I sold my mtb as I basically hated it. The sport, not the bike.

So, I'm trying with the idea of having sealant in my road bike tubes. I would prefer using tyre juice as it's been an effect yet cheap sealant, but I'm open to your suggestions. I have done one tube on my single speed roadie, when it had a puncture I just used the hole to inject some sealant, and then patched it up.

My worry is that it will dry out and the tubes will become either gunked up, or stick together, or something goes wrong.

I've seen a number of vids where the sealant does work, despite road tyre pressures, so not too concerned with that. Even if it prevents one teeny puncture, it'll be worth it for me, personally.

Anyone have any experiences to share?

Edited by DragoRosso

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried using sealant in my road bike tubes a while back, and unfortunately for me it wasn't a very successful affair.  In essence, I piped Stans into them by removing the valve-cores.  I got a small puncture on a ride after that and unfortunately the tyre was completely flat long before the sealant closed the hole.  I would be interested however to see what the hub comes up with as I definitely also do want a solution to the serious amount of flats that I get on my road bike.

Edited by myth125

So I've been using sealant in mtb tubes for a while with great effect. I then converted to tubeless, and that too was wonderful.

Then I sold my mtb as I basically hated it. The sport, not the bike.

So, I'm trying with the idea of having sealant in my road bike tubes. I would prefer using tyre juice as it's been an effect yet cheap sealant, but I'm open to your suggestions. I have done one tube on my single speed roadie, when it had a puncture I just used the hole to inject some sealant, and then patched it up.

My worry is that it will dry out and the tubes will become either gunked up, or stick together, or something goes wrong.

I've seen a number of vids where the sealant does work, despite road tyre pressures, so not too concerned with that. Even if it prevents one teeny puncture, it'll be worth it for me, personally.

Anyone have any experiences to share?

If its for commuter and you running 3 -4 bar, it might work, but it DOES NOT work for higher pressures , creates very nice spray everywhere and then you sit with a sticky messy flat tyre to fix and a patch wont hold on the spilled sealant...

Not even prefilled road tubes seals at high pressure, well, not that i've seen, had to fix many a noobs flats with slime everywhere.

Token is advertising tubes with sealant for up to 12 bar .. but never tried it, so cannot say, costly though.

Edited by Karman de Lange

I am using Stans Race sealant in my road tubes 30ml per wheel - no problems so far - injected through the valve by removing the valve core- it does need to be topped up every couple of months - I was going to built a sealant extractor with a big syringe but I have not done it yet - just to keep the sealant level constant and not continually growing.

I have an idea that one could use a simple kitchen scale for this instead and some simple maths

I also uses about 30ml of a Stans/Sludge combo in my road wheels (6-8 Bar).  Added the sludge to make the solution a bit thicker.

It seals smallish punctures very effectively.  Those "slow punctures".

Larger cuts obviously not.

As you say, it does gunk up the tubes, form solid latex balls, cause the tube walls to tick together.

However, I think it is a very good idea for important road races. I did a couple of tubes for my son's Shova last year. Long story, the sealant saved his ride. He did have a puncture during the race, but didn't even notice it because of the sealant. You can easily wash out the sealant from the tube with water after the big race. Or else just use the tube until you have to toss it, which takes a few months.

I don't think it will fix every puncture, maybe more than half. The small ones. For training, rather just stick to patches and glue.

it doesn't work at 110kpa -sticky mess sprays everywhere (it was ugly) and a very small puncture - rider last seen cleaning up mess with a water bottle on road side - shame ^_^ (he survived but we enjoyed laughing at him )

maybe at low pressure it would have worked or if you used the fancy tubes from token  

but its also a weight in the tyre that's not balanced and don't know what that's going to do for your handling at speed etc (maybe im just being stupid and its not going to do anything )

Edited by bikebloke

I also used Stans in some of my recent road tubes with great effect. Small punctures seal quite nicely but the bigger ones you get from glass prove to be a bit of a problem for Stans at that high pressure. I'm sure a thicker sealant will solve this. 

I however don't rely on the sealant to to save my ride or get me home. I still ride with a tube for "In case". 

Speaking of punctures. I recently fitted a Maxxis Refuse to my road bike's front wheel and I'm amazed how tough this tire is. I rode through glass multiple times during the past few months thinking I have to stop to take the glass out just to find it did not even cut or stick to the tire. I'm definitely going to try one on the back when my current Vredestein Duo is done.

CWC has a special on pre-filled tubes, 3 for R99. I'm tempted to give it a go on training wheels.

post-13716-0-83574700-1484896804_thumb.png

Edited by Cippo

I saw a YouTube video of a guy that put a bit of glitter in with the stans to make it a bit "thicker" and to help seal slightly larger punctures. Haven't tried it myself but maybe worth a go. If it doesn't work at least it will be prettier when your tyre spews it out all over you and the bike.

I saw a YouTube video of a guy that put a bit of glitter in with the stans to make it a bit "thicker" and to help seal slightly larger punctures. Haven't tried it myself but maybe worth a go. If it doesn't work at least it will be prettier when your tyre spews it out all over you and the bike.

Tried and tested on my wife's tri bikes. Used to just do plain Joe's, but added the glitter after some sealing issues at the high pressure. Works like a charm now.

Tried and tested on my wife's tri bikes. Used to just do plain Joe's, but added the glitter after some sealing issues at the high pressure. Works like a charm now.

Nice, good to hear some real world results with this!