Value Logistics Fast One 2017

Long Wheel Base

Good to hear you say you are okay - even though it's eina.

I came in at the back of the VB bunch, wasn't willing to risk anything for the sake of 60-odd places. You must have crashed behind the group then?

I was at the back -- pretty much the whole race (didn't wanna bump shoulders with the potholes, and I wasn't strong enough for the first 10 places)

There was a bike length or two (that's fine, I wasn't trying to win) between me and the main bunch.  So you must've been close.

I went over the mat, switched off my garmin, the guy in front of me braked, I moved left to avoid hitting him, and somehow swerved too far and clipped the barrier, and lost my balance.  Whoops!  Special skills!

I'm happy it wasn't worse and that no-one else got hurt.

I didn't sprint.  I never sprint for 60th.  or 200th.  But I was going the same speed as the bunch.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was one of the unlucky riders that hit a pothole at high speed. The pothole was impossible to avoid when riding in a bunch and the rider in front of you rides straight through it too! Punctured front and back, the guy in front of me was riding with tubbies so his race was over!

Thanks to the 3 social riders riding past that stopped and gave me a tube for my back wheel and a bomb, I only carry 1 spare tube and bomb when racing, I was able to change the tube and finish the race. Some of the potholes where marked and visible at racing speed but I feel not enough was done to repair the potholes in some parts of the race! Surely the organisers can ride the route the day before with a road repair crew and fill the potholes. Hope they do something for the R4S seeing as they use a lot of the same road!

Learn to hop over them.

I had to do it first time in the race, you don't lose any speed and you most probably won't pop your tubes

With regards to everyone saying just to fill the holes, isn't it illegal?

A few years ago that one oke did it in Fourways and had a whole shitstorm come at him from the municipality.

I didn't sprint.  I never sprint for 60th.  or 200th.  But I was going the same speed as the bunch.

60km/h

It was a scary approach that. 

For me the biggest issue is finding elites stopping across the finish line so no one else sprinting can get across safely. Surely they of all people are educated enough to clear the road down the line where it is safe !

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

That'd be me.  I'm OK. :thumbup:   Hurts, though.

Arend, sometimes when you soar like an eagle, you get sucked into a jet engine...

Arend, sometimes when you soar like an eagle, you get sucked into a jet engine...

Chirp of the day contender?

60km/h

It was a scary approach that. 

Yep, too fast.  The front okes roll down, the middle starts braking, and the back panic brakes.

I know that.

I was at the back -- pretty much the whole race (didn't wanna bump shoulders with the potholes, and I wasn't strong enough for the first 10 places)

There was a bike length or two (that's fine, I wasn't trying to win) between me and the main bunch.  So you must've been close.

I went over the mat, switched off my garmin, the guy in front of me braked, I moved left to avoid hitting him, and somehow swerved too far and clipped the barrier, and lost my balance.  Whoops!  Special skills!

I'm happy it wasn't worse and that no-one else got hurt.

Ironic that being at the back hoping it's a little safer crossing the line.

I just had a look at the results - I wasn't at the very back like I thought... 46 in front of me separated by 4 seconds, and another 19 behind me (break excluded).

That's 66 people crossing the line at 8 seconds from front to back @>55km/h.

Ironic that being at the back hoping it's a little safer crossing the line.

I just had a look at the results - I wasn't at the very back like I thought... 46 in front of me separated by 4 seconds, and another 19 behind me (break excluded).

That's 66 people crossing the line at 8 seconds from front to back @>55km/h.

That's pretty scary, considering the relatively short runoff and narrow area you go down...

Carnage is understatement when describing the race afterwards.

Started in AL, saw the usual riders but quite a few Juniors mixed with us as well.

Already from before the start, MC announced that a truck was stuck 3kms in...Just knew this day was going to be 1 of those days.

Very nervous start, stayed top 20 till the 50km mark, then went to the front to rotate.

Around the 30km mark, a rider completely lost it in front of me, front wheel went from under him & lucky someone shoved him into safety. Thanks bud, saved the bunch from a massive multiple crash! The rider behind me went up my left calf and got some battle scars for show but don't know how we managed to stay up.

Saw that Kamakazi dude who went off-road, over & through the bushes heading for the barbed wire fence, we all cringed as he went closer & closer but Jeez, he managed to stay upright, missed that barbed wire by milimeters & seems he got back on the tar safely.

Now this was not lekker at all, when we started approaching the Finish, there was at least 50-60 riders in the bunch. Speeds were going up, riders were changing lanes as the sprint was coming up. Those steel barricade barriers were fast approaching and I saw what the bottle neck was creating in this huge bunch, from my view, there was absolute no space at all for anyone to go through or change lines, slight miscalculation & Bam, MASSIVE CARNAGE. As I approached the barrier, about 100m before the finish line, we were all screaming, Hold your Lines, but a rider to the left of me moved to my shoulder so quick and the guy behind him touched wheels and flew into the barrier @ 65km/h plus. I just heard carbon braking, bits & pieces flying & saw the guy hit those barriers. Can't get that image out of my head!

I'm sorry buddy! Please let us know if you are OK!

I sat up, just rolled through to the finish thinking if all this is worth the trouble.

Rika from Cycle Nation told me she couldn't even take pics of the finish because of the crashes. They heard the crashes from the line. VA, AL, BL, CL, some hectic crashes.

Hope all involved are on the mend!

We were 4 guys that were brought down by the crash. They came down in front of me and I had nowhere to go. One guy was still lying on the ground when I got up. He seemed okay. (okay as in he was alive) His wife was with him and he was able to talk.

What peeved me off the most is while I was pushing my broken bike, walking with my bruised and battered body to the finish line I saw 2 CSA officials crossing the road underneath the finish banner. They climbed in a car and drove off. This while there weren't even a medical team to attend the crashes at the finish. They are part of CSA's management. Aren't they supposed to at least see that the cyclist are safe? It's like they saw that there were too many crashes. They had to either leave or, if they stay, do something about it.

At the medical tent the nurse on duty also complained that they had to deal with too many incidents that were caused directly because of the barriers. I don't think there is anything wrong with the barriers. The issue is they just suddenly start a few meters before the finish. They could at least set down cones that tapers for a few meters before the barriers. Flags or something more visible will also be a nice addition to indicate the start of the barriers.

I usually don't complain this much, but after going down and still being sore today I might as well get it of my chest.

What I don't understand is why guys are contending for the sprint while the whole race they were wheel-sucking behind the group. If you want to contend - come and show your face in the front during the race. This is amateur racing. If you want better times for seeding - coast behind the guys that are sprinting for positions. 1-2 seconds is not going to make a difference.

And why did the u/16 start with AL? They were bobbing and weaving all over the place. And suddenly in the last couple of km's they were trying to move forward. It's dangerous for them and for us. This is an issue CSA should address.

They also had to start in front of the group. Why? So that we had to pass them all? This does not make sense.

On a positive note, I would like to commend the Marshall that was riding with AL. He indicated most of the potholes and he did a great job controlling the oncoming traffic and traffic from behind. If he was the Marshall to blame for the guy that went off-road and nearly into the fence. I'm sure it was not intentionally.

We were 4 guys that were brought down by the crash. They came down in front of me and I had nowhere to go. One guy was still lying on the ground when I got up. He seemed okay. (okay as in he was alive) His wife was with him and he was able to talk.

What peeved me off the most is while I was pushing my broken bike, walking with my bruised and battered body to the finish line I saw 2 CSA officials crossing the road underneath the finish banner. They climbed in a car and drove off. This while there weren't even a medical team to attend the crashes at the finish. They are part of CSA's management. Aren't they supposed to at least see that the cyclist are safe? It's like they saw that there were too many crashes. They had to either leave or, if they stay, do something about it.

At the medical tent the nurse on duty also complained that they had to deal with too many incidents that were caused directly because of the barriers. I don't think there is anything wrong with the barriers. The issue is they just suddenly start a few meters before the finish. They could at least set down cones that tapers for a few meters before the barriers. Flags or something more visible will also be a nice addition to indicate the start of the barriers.

I usually don't complain this much, but after going down and still being sore today I might as well get it of my chest.

What I don't understand is why guys are contending for the sprint while the whole race they were wheel-sucking behind the group. If you want to contend - come and show your face in the front during the race. This is amateur racing. If you want better times for seeding - coast behind the guys that are sprinting for positions. 1-2 seconds is not going to make a difference.

And why did the u/16 start with AL? They were bobbing and weaving all over the place. And suddenly in the last couple of km's they were trying to move forward. It's dangerous for them and for us. This is an issue CSA should address.

They also had to start in front of the group. Why? So that we had to pass them all? This does not make sense.

On a positive note, I would like to commend the Marshall that was riding with AL. He indicated most of the potholes and he did a great job controlling the oncoming traffic and traffic from behind. If he was the Marshall to blame for the guy that went off-road and nearly into the fence. I'm sure it was not intentionally.

send a mail to CyclingSA and tell them how you feel. Ask them for an official answer(s) from the organizers.

secretarygeneral at cyclingsa.com

And remember, if you are a CSA member and you crashed with medical bills, you can claim up to R20k from them as they take out group insurance.

And remember, if you are a CSA member and you crashed with medical bills, you can claim up to R20k from them as they take out group insurance.

Got the below off of CSA website:

"Hollard Insurance Company

Medical assistance

Cycling SA has finalised a medical emergency evacuation or transport benefit with Hollard Insurance Company for the 2017 membership cycle. Each member will receive a death benefit of R25 000, and/or Emergency Medical Treatment at a Medical Treatment Facility and Emergency Traveling costs a benefit of up to R25,000 accident cover for any cycling related accident that occurs at a Cycling SA sanctioned cycling event. This offer is only available to all Cycling SA members.

If in an accident or in an emergency a person must contact Africa Assist - 010 211 6950 - in order for the member to be identified and the expenses controlled.

For any other queries, please contact Hollard Accident and Health - Claims Manager on 011 351 5366

*There is a R500 excess payable, and the claim will be settled subject to all correct documentation being in place"

I must say it was quite difficult to move up to the front of AL on Sunday. I think because of the road conditions the guys at the front wanted to stay in front to avoid possible incidents in the bunch. And trust me you also don't want some of those wheel suckers to come to the front and do a minute or two there and then start drifting back through the bunch. If all 160 of them did that I think we would have seen more crashes.

As for the U16......I did not mind them in the bunch. Only one or two were really bobbing and weaving in the bunch and they were quite soon identified and avoided. Unfortunately with the high cadence they need to maintain to keep up with the bunch there will always be a bit of bobbing involved which causes the waving......especially the boys with the shorter legs. They won't be able to work up front because of their restricted gearing but when they turn up the cadence they can sprint for the finish. Unfortunately with their high cadence it does become a bit dodge in the sprint but that's racing. Who do you put them with though......they are not enough for their own bunch.........elite ladies maybe? 

Our biggest problem was that our bunch was way to big at the finish, and when you have people that normally don't stick with the bunch get to the finish they will always try their luck in a sprint (that is part of our racing nature). There should have been a organized effort to get a break away going.

I agree our Road Ranger was awesome. These guys do so much to keep us safe and it cant be an easy job. Big  :thumbup: to them.

What peeved me off the most is while I was pushing my broken bike, walking with my bruised and battered body to the finish line I saw 2 CSA officials crossing the road underneath the finish banner. They climbed in a car and drove off. This while there weren't even a medical team to attend the crashes at the finish. They are part of CSA's management. Aren't they supposed to at least see that the cyclist are safe? It's like they saw that there were too many crashes. They had to either leave or, if they stay, do something about it.

I'm with you here mate...... that guy on the bike was awesome.....poor guy spent hours waving his arms frantically. As for the wheel suckers - guess that's how they roll :cursing: ...... wasn't that bad up front...... they should try it one day.... glad you ok buddy..... that poor guy up on the railing looked bad...... and the sound???? Yoh! Here's hoping the organizer takes notice of the short falls. Having said that parking, toilets etc was a breeze, so big up there :thumbup:   

Archived