Value Logistics Fast One 2017

Long Wheel Base

My race license expired apparently ,tried sorting it out on Saturday but these guys just refused

The red head gave me and Cameron so much **** ,that we eventually just left with our open seeded numbers

We had a few cases like this in the AL batch....

Damn that sucks. I am sure going from Vets to open was a big change. I know AL still ride quick but its a different kind of race. Most of the time half the okes in AL could easily ride vets anyway.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn that sucks. I am sure going from Vets to open was a big change. I know AL still ride quick but its a different kind of race. Most of the time half the okes in AL could easily ride vets anyway.

There were about 5 guys that could easily take on the Vets

Pace is very different,generaly slower,but they like the corners!

Rode Al, and found the first 26km, that I lasted, very jittery.  Riders violently changing direction to miss potholes.  I went down at 26km in.  It was a very slow speed fall for me, as I was almost stationary, when a bike came sliding across the road and jut fell onto the sand next to the road.

Lost the group and rode hard to try and catch.

10km later I realised that I must have been pulling quite a large group of guys, as one or two decided to help.  We did mainly long pulls until someone took over.

Picked up a Northcliff Cycles rider who must have had a puncture.  This is when I realised that the group was about 30 "strong", with no one coming to the front.

I then eased myself into the group and sat there to the end.

Definitely not the safest race.

at least this weekends race has the small bump at the beginning to keep the groups smaller, and hopefully safer.

I suggest a name change: Value Logistics The Holey One.

We nearly smacked that young girl who stood inside that massive pothole

in the centre of the road.

May those who gave her a red flag and ordered her to stand there, be condemned to an asylum.

If she get hit by x-amount of bicycles traveling at 35+ she will end up in ICU and suffer a debilitating injury for the rest of her life.

Shame on you. (And do something about the potholes).

Who else hear saw the bike skills of the oke going into the field in AL batch?

We were going down a hill at about 60+ and he went in,straight towards a fence..

The whole bunch just stopped pedaling and watched this..looking like a motorcross racer..

He luckily managed to keep the bike up..

Maybe he watched too much of those cyclocross world champs repeats on Supersport lately

We were going down a hill at about 60+ and he went in,straight towards a fence..

The whole bunch just stopped pedaling and watched this..looking like a motorcross racer..

Fellow GW. We took the lead going down that big hill and all of a sudden he veered off the road. Speaking to him afterwards, he blames the motorcycle official whizzing past too close to him. In a spectacular evading move, he ducks left, but he says that at that speed he couldn't regain his control and could only drift into the veld. 

He didn't fall off. He only finished a few minutes after the winner. 

Nexct year he said he's going to do it on his MTB anyway  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I rode with a friend who is new to cycling from HL group. Pot holes were not an issue as we were not riding in bunches. She enjoyed the race, and I think the fast avg. speed is a nice confidence boost to her.

It is a pity that the potholes messed up the race, because everyhting else was perfectly organized. I'm not good at flat races in general, but the route was excellent and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I feel that the organizers are 60 % to blame for not marking the potholes with colored spray paint. A white circle around a pothole would've prevented many accidents, puntures or broken rims. The medic tents were very busy when I reached the finish.

The remaining 40 % blame is that of cyclists not calling the potholes. Surely the inexperienced riders would've noted that you can point an arm or at least shout pothole?! Late minute swerves into oncoming traffic, touch of wheels and swearing resulted in a negative overall experience.

It's the other half of okes that you need to worry about...  I also raced AL yesterday, stayed towards the front where it was as safe as usual, but got a flat around the halfway mark, replaced the tube and got myself in the mix with the 3rd or 4th group of AL guys.  So I decided to get the extra training in and help them improve their times somewhat, needless to say we picked up more AL and a few V guys as well and the bunch grew.  Where it became mind boggling is when everyone started sprinting pass in full force for 100th odd place towards the finish line... Is that worth the risk to get you the extra 2 seconds?  

Done many of these and also fallen hard there a few years ago, these days I hang in with the bunch for the first while then slowly drift off and either finish on my won or like yesterday pick up either stragglers or chaps coming past and then have a lekker ride. 

Just a shout out to the Pakisa rider in VC, he punctured and was dropped by the bunch. He dragged myself and a number of other riders for 40ks to the finish. I tried to contribute but was of not much help. Thanks man.

Fellow GW. We took the lead going down that big hill and all of a sudden he veered off the road. Speaking to him afterwards, he blames the motorcycle official whizzing past too close to him. In a spectacular evading move, he ducks left, but he says that at that speed he couldn't regain his control and could only drift into the veld. 

He didn't fall off. He only finished a few minutes after the winner. 

Nexct year he said he's going to do it on his MTB anyway  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

How he went over that ditch, then over the bump and missed the barbwire fence 40m off the road still amazes me and he was not going slow.

And he just kept on going with a huge smile on his face as the people cheered his bike handing skills.  :clap:

Carnage is understatement when describing the race afterwards.

Started in AL, saw the usual riders but quite a few Juniors mixed with us as well.

Already from before the start, MC announced that a truck was stuck 3kms in...Just knew this day was going to be 1 of those days.

Very nervous start, stayed top 20 till the 50km mark, then went to the front to rotate.

Around the 30km mark, a rider completely lost it in front of me, front wheel went from under him & lucky someone shoved him into safety. Thanks bud, saved the bunch from a massive multiple crash! The rider behind me went up my left calf and got some battle scars for show but don't know how we managed to stay up.

Saw that Kamakazi dude who went off-road, over & through the bushes heading for the barbed wire fence, we all cringed as he went closer & closer but Jeez, he managed to stay upright, missed that barbed wire by milimeters & seems he got back on the tar safely.

Now this was not lekker at all, when we started approaching the Finish, there was at least 50-60 riders in the bunch. Speeds were going up, riders were changing lanes as the sprint was coming up. Those steel barricade barriers were fast approaching and I saw what the bottle neck was creating in this huge bunch, from my view, there was absolute no space at all for anyone to go through or change lines, slight miscalculation & Bam, MASSIVE CARNAGE. As I approached the barrier, about 100m before the finish line, we were all screaming, Hold your Lines, but a rider to the left of me moved to my shoulder so quick and the guy behind him touched wheels and flew into the barrier @ 65km/h plus. I just heard carbon braking, bits & pieces flying & saw the guy hit those barriers. Can't get that image out of my head!

I'm sorry buddy! Please let us know if you are OK!

I sat up, just rolled through to the finish thinking if all this is worth the trouble.

Rika from Cycle Nation told me she couldn't even take pics of the finish because of the crashes. They heard the crashes from the line. VA, AL, BL, CL, some hectic crashes.

Hope all involved are on the mend!

Edited by AryM

Watching him heading for that fence I had visions of the Johnny Hoogerland crash in the tour de France when he got bumped off the road by a car and tangled in a barbed wire fence.

Brilliant skills to keep that upright though