2x1 gearing.....

Taki

Hi,

I have a SRAM X5 2 speed front derailleur lying around and I'm thinking of popping it on a Sunn tonic single speed to make me a 2x1 thingy.

Anyone ever tried this?

Surely you will need a big chain tensioner. About as big as let's say a rear derailleur. So you might as well go for 1x2... then might as well go for 1x10, and so on and so forth.

If it's purely for unique hipster-status on your bike, then I fully support your attempt to pull it off.

Pics or it didn't happen. 

Surely you will need a big chain tensioner. About as big as let's say a rear derailleur. So you might as well go for 1x2... then might as well go for 1x10, and so on and so forth.

If it's purely for unique hipster-status on your bike, then I fully support your attempt to pull it off.

Pics or it didn't happen. 

I already have a 1x1, 1x8, 1x9 and 1x11. 

Less me finding a single speed (long cage) tensioner, I'll prolly have to hack an old cheap derailleur.

It's purely for awesome beer consumption in the workshop. Hipsters liking it and upgrading my status would be a bonus.

A long limit screw will do the trick. I medium cage RD should have enough kick.

I would also get one of the Absolute Black Narrow wide rear cogs to stop the chain missing on the back.

OR.... try a dingle speed... 2 x 2. Where the chain stays the same length but 1 ratio is for climbing and the other is for flats. 

Manual shifting.

Makes for a fun day out.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend who runs a system like this one his Jump/enduro bike and it has been bullet proof for over 7 years now

Chainline is gonna be messed up...

What's your reasoning here?... chainline will be a whole lot less of an issue than on a 1x10/11 setup.

Double chainring, single sprocket, tensioning device. If the sprocket is getting mounted on a free body that can receive a cassette, with spacers, one can adjust the spacing to pretty much sit the sprocket right in the middle of the chainrings.

Really don't see a chainline problem at all...?

Edited by Ryanpmb

why you saying that?

or could you not find comic sans this morning?

Potential sarcasm aside, I think it's a lack of understanding of what the OP is proposing. Or simply a case of not reading the 'exam question' properly prior to answering - keyboard warrior.

Agreed , you could probably make it work and would definitely be fantastic.

Agreed, pics or it didn't happen ????

I would also get one of the Absolute Black Narrow wide rear cogs to stop the chain missing on the back.

OR.... try a dingle speed... 2 x 2. Where the chain stays the same length but 1 ratio is for climbing and the other is for flats. 

Manual shifting.

Makes for a fun day out.

Even a road RD should have enough of a kick, considering they take up to 25t spread and It's on a hardtail

Manual shifting.

Makes for a fun day out.

I can contribute a length of bloudraad to facilitate an easier manual shift. ?

Do the build and post pics.

I have to start afresh. My project bicycle got stolen. I have managed to reprocure some part and will return to tests this weekend. I found a 2 cog SS tensioner that I'll use for this with a 32 and 36t from chain ring.

I have to start afresh. My project bicycle got stolen. I have managed to reprocure some part and will return to tests this weekend. I found a 2 cog SS tensioner that I'll use for this with a 32 and 36t from chain ring.

SWAK!!!!