How to bring down HR ???

Just checked Garmin Connect;

Zone 1 - 5:48min

Zone 2 - 10:43min

Zone 3 - 32:07min

Zone 4 - 29:13min

Zone 5 - 1:14:26min (jeeeeeeeezzzz)

UNFIT!!!!!!!

If you're healthy and your zones are correct, spending 74 minutes in Z5 indicates incredible fitness!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not difficult, just ride slowly, ignore race snakes and ignore the urge to go quickly... set a HR alarm on your garmin so that it beeps at the upper limit... hear the sound, hit the brakes, slow down, bring HR back into the zone

It definitely works.. well is working for me..

I set my garmin to only see HR and Time...nothing else. With a notification if I go above the zone.

And many many hours riding in the green zone.

Difference now since I started riding again mid Nov and now is an increase in Ave speed by 4km/hr over the same amount of time, same routes and more or less same conditions., while staying in the same HR zone.

I must Confess I get quite excited when I review the ride and see the numbers improving.

Why Chukky why

You've been saving that prentjie I guess

Waiting for slightest opportunity

Makes me think of this:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Deep_1c62c1_206498.jpg

Hours and hours of mind numbingly boring zone1-2 intervals.

I do them on the IDT 1:30 HR stays between 100bpm and 130bpm.

You do a 10 min warmup, then you just spin away for the rest of the 1:20 remaining at that HR intensity.

Also those nice and long 4hr rides at around Aerobic Endurance zone - Tempo zone

To give you and example I did a 4hr ride this weekend (1542m elevation, 105Km, IF at 0.88) and my avg HR was 156bpm

That avg HR seems rather high for the level you are at. :blink:  Do you normally have a high HR or how often do you do rides with that sort of elevation?

Stop breathing?

I had an op on Friday and while they were taking my heart rate a blood pressure I tried it and stopped breathing a few times.Def dropped the heart rate

If you stop breathing for long enough your heart rate goes down to zero. It's just not that easy to get it back up again. 

In summary to the op:

Don't just accept the default zone values from Garmin.  Rather have it professionally checked.  Let the pro test you and setup your Garmin accordingly.  The sort yourself out wrt to a good training programme over12 -16 week period and repeat these programs.  Eventually you will notice your fitness level improving.

Be carefull of comparing you HR values to other people as it is radically different from one individual to the next.

In summary to the op:

Don't just accept the default zone values from Garmin. Rather have it professionally checked. Let the pro test you and setup your Garmin accordingly. The sort yourself out wrt to a good training programme over12 -16 week period and repeat these programs. Eventually you will notice your fitness level improving.

Be carefull of comparing you HR values to other people as it is radically different from one individual to the next.

Agreed! Just start with trying to check your max. heart rate from one of your rides. It will probably be more than that, but good starting point. Then recalculate your zones and see if it makes more sense. Only then continue with questions.

According to Joe Friel (use Google to find out who he is), it's better to use LTHR (Lactate Threshold HR) than maxHR.

As aerobic fitness changes, so to does your max HR (MHR).The opposite is true if you do less training, the MHR goes up.

He believes LTHR is more reliable when setting HR zones.

So, do a quick (30-min) race pace effort. After 10-mins, press the lap button on tour HR monitor/device and take the average HR after the 20-min lap.

Then use the zones he refers to on his blog:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-setting-zones

Thanks for this, Gerald... 

According to Joe Friel (use Google to find out who he is), it's better to use LTHR (Lactate Threshold HR) than maxHR.

As aerobic fitness changes, so to does your max HR (MHR).The opposite is true if you do less training, the MHR goes up.

He believes LTHR is more reliable when setting HR zones.

So, do a quick (30-min) race pace effort. After 10-mins, press the lap button on tour HR monitor/device and take the average HR after the 20-min lap.

Then use the zones he refers to on his blog:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-setting-zones

This makes good sense and is tailored to your lactic threshold and FTP.

If you're healthy and your zones are correct, spending 74 minutes in Z5 indicates incredible fitness!

This is from Garmin Connect......to train in Z5 50% of the entire ride doesn't sound / look right to me?

As far as I know the lower the avg the HR the better? 

Another thing... read up on Phil Maffetone... agree or disagree, it's interesting stuff. I know of people who have done well with that approach.

That avg HR seems rather high for the level you are at. :blink:  Do you normally have a high HR or how often do you do rides with that sort of elevation?

Was *** windy dude. 

My Max is 207 and resting 53

Archived