How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

The driver lost his job BUT the rider could have lost his life by challenging the driver. No thank you. I will keep on riding the way I do by not letting my ego get the better of me and not to challenge cars and trucks for road space. 

Ok, just remember that one of the biggest cyclist deaths is trucks/vans/busses not getting an overtake or a corner correct and collecting and killing the ego-less cyclist. 

Not saying being a douche for the sake of being a douche, just when you know busses cut certain corners and a bus is approaching, dont let said bus kill you.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are implying the cyclist did something wrong.

As stated on a previous page I also follow these rules as I have learnt it is a must. I believe in OWN THE ROAD if you fee unsafe.

Quote "it was a left hand bend with a solid double. There was no way the van could pass safely even if the rider was in the gutter. So he moved into the centre to make his presence a real factor for the motorists behind him.

I do exactly the same thing in left hand bends as motorists are inclined to cut corners and that is exactly where I would be. As do a lot of people who ride in traffic regularly.  I'm also inclined to overstate my rights as a rider when a motorist buzzes me.

Put yourself where it is safest for you as a bike rider? As is your right on a public road?" end Quote.

This is the whole problem on the roads, Dick. MY right, YOUR right, HIS right, HER right. No one does anything WRONG because we are all RIGHT. Enough said. You ride the way you want 'TO OWN THE ROAD" and I'll ride my way '' On the LEFT side of the road". Happy riding  :whistling:

Attitude towards cyclists doesn't really make it safer.

BUT the things that WILL make it safer requires public support, and that's where it makes a difference.

Being be polite takes no more effort than being rude, so just do it.

Never mentioned being rude. Just not dead, only would "break the law" when i feel my life is at risk. Not willy nilly because I want to chat. 

Never mentioned being rude. Just not dead, only would "break the law" when i feel my life is at risk. Not willy nilly because I want to chat.

We have discussed this sooooo many times, and I conceded that there are times when it's safer for a rider to do that. When WE break the law for OUR safety, the onus is on US to knowledge those around us when doing so.

So as a fellow rider, all I'm asking is for people to not flip the bird when a car hoots at you when you are "breaking the law", and to acknowledge them and thank them when they do give you the gap.

That's all I'm saying, it's not even a big deal.

We have discussed this soooook many times, and I conceded that there are times when it's safer for a rider to do that. When WE break the law for OUR safety, the onus is on US to knowledge those around us when doing so.

So as a fellow rider, all I'm asking for people to not flip the bird when a car hoots at you when you are "breaking the law", and to acknowledge them and thank them when they do give you the gap.

Agreed and I am most courteous. Think earlier I was just getting Gatvol of work! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting descent of Constantia Nek this evening. In my car this time rather than on my bike.

As I went through the roundabout a guy on his 29er was slightly in front of me. He hugged the left side of the road in the section before the pipe track off ramp. The road was not wide enough for to pass although he made as much space as he could.

I was happy to sit at 50kph behind him, about 50m not on his tail. After the pipe track he realised I was not passing and gave me the thumbs up. But he still hugged the left.

In my view, he was not safe riding where he was as he was trying to make space on a twisty road with a solid most of the way down AND he was nearly on the speed limit. There was not one spot I could have overtaken him with a gap of at least a metre. There was no point overtaking him either as sooner or later I would brake to a crawl.

It would have been safer for him to own the lane and make sure no one tried to sneak past at 60kph.

Exactly as the guy in the video some are calling a dwis, I assume this is like a BMW 530d read correctly. There was NOT enough space to pass safely so to make sure someone does not pass you is the safest thing to do.

I feel very sorry for my fellow hubbers who look on taking your own safety seriously as being stupid or arrogant on a bike.

And the rider get a medal for bravery? Me thinks not. The rider is in the wrong. He'd also pis me off by riding in the middle of the road. This is what happens when '' You spite me, I spite you '' **** happens. Unfortunately, the rider will lose the contest here with a great possibility of severe injury or death. I AM NOT SAYING THE DRIVER DID NOTHING WRONG

You really have no idea about safety on a bicycle in traffic.

I cannot find exact stats right now but very few cyclists are hit from behind in the middle of the front of the motor vehicle. From memory over 80% of accidents involving cyclists are when they are hit from behind when being overtaken. In other words, clipped when the motorist thinks there is enough space but there is not.

Of course, occasionally a drunk just drives straight through a cyclist within the yellow shoulder, even thought the cyclist is far left as happened in Durban last year.

Interesting descent of Constantia Nek this evening. In my car this time rather than on my bike.

As I went through the roundabout a guy on his 29er was slightly in front of me. He hugged the left side of the road in the section before the pipe track off ramp. The road was not wide enough for to pass although he made as much space as he could.

I was happy to sit at 50kph behind him, about 50m not on his tail. After the pipe track he realised I was not passing and gave me the thumbs up. But he still hugged the left.

In my view, he was not safe riding where he was as he was trying to make space on a twisty road with a solid most of the way down AND he was nearly on the speed limit. There was not one spot I could have overtaken him with a gap of at least a metre. There was no point overtaking him either as sooner or later I would brake to a crawl.

It would have been safer for him to own the lane and make sure no one tried to sneak past at 60kph.

Exactly as the guy in the video some are calling a dwis, I assume this is like a BMW 530d read correctly. There was NOT enough space to pass safely so to make sure someone does not pass you is the safest thing to do.

I feel very sorry for my fellow hubbers who look on taking your own safety seriously as being stupid or arrogant on a bike.

While back I was coming back from a ride at Meerendal, bike on the back of the car.  Past the race course you get to some road works ... NOT enough space for cars to pass a bike !!

A commuter on a road bike was heading into this section some distance ahead of me ... he kept a watchful eye on the traffic behind.  I kept a nice safe distance behind him, as we approached the RED robot .... true a bob the Beemer behind me started dodging left and right - single lane, red robot 25m ahead of us - WHERE are you rushing to ??

The biker gave me a big thumbs up at the robot.

We turned right, as did the biker.  The road is not wide enough to pass safely, and being on a road bike the gravel shoulder must be a bad call ... the cyclist was doing some 50km/h most of the way, so I just hung back and gave him space.  NOW that Beemer behind me was not happy !!  In total our trip might have been 20 or 30 seconds longer .... woopy ...

The mere fact that this cyclist was aware of the traffic and TRIED to stay as wide as possible made a very good impression !

Thankfully the new road should be finished soon, and offer much improved safety to commuters along this route.

With so many people texting and driving these days the death toll WILL increase, 

I still maintain, Face the oncoming danger , Face the traffic well within the yellow line. 

Patchelicious, You make some good comments , just wanted to put that out there (Bromance over) 

With so many people texting and driving these days the death toll WILL increase, 

I still maintain, Face the oncoming danger , Face the traffic well within the yellow line. 

No one else has responded because your suggestion is so idiotic it doesn't warrant a response

Patchelicious, You make some good comments , just wanted to put that out there (Bromance over) 

Having spent the night thinking about your posts and refusing to go for a lobotomy to make them easier to decipher you have saved me that experience by advocating clearly in this post it is safer to ride into the traffic than with the traffic.

I think it's best you don't post about subjects you know so little about. In fact please stop riding your bicycle as you are the archetypical example of why motorists may think cyclists are a few cells short of a battery.

We have discussed this soooook many times, and I conceded that there are times when it's safer for a rider to do that. When WE break the law for OUR safety, the onus is on US to knowledge those around us when doing so.

So as a fellow rider, all I'm asking for people to not flip the bird when a car hoots at you when you are "breaking the law", and to acknowledge them and thank them when they do give you the gap.

First good post in the last couple of pages.

First good post in the last couple of pages.

Really? I thought I had some very good posts. At least one?  I guess not. I'll lift my game.

It is just wrong to show the bird. I just  smile and wave.  <----Follow the link.

Irritates 99% of aggressive motorists more.

post-35786-0-35454400-1494314857_thumb.jpg

Really? I thought I had some very good posts. At least one? I guess not. I'll lift my game.

It is just wrong to show the bird. I just smile and wave. <----Follow the link.

Irritates 99% of aggressive motorists more.

PS1232.jpg

Or as a fellow Hubber once suggested, just give them a dissapointed "Thumbs Down" ????????

Archived