How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

“Those who are unable to control their temper while driving and feel that cyclists are fair game must be dealt with severely,” Judge Gregory Perrins told her as he passed sentence on Wednesday."

Only when our courst and law enforcement take a similar stance will you see a change in road user behaviour.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my ride yesterday. Solid line which became open line 300m up the road. While we have this disregard for the law I fear we are farting against thunder.

post-35786-0-89793300-1494491543_thumb.png

post-35786-0-31557400-1494491546_thumb.png

post-35786-0-20545300-1494491541_thumb.png

post-35786-0-03345500-1494491547_thumb.jpg

On my ride yesterday. Solid line which became open line 300m up the road. While we have this disregard for the law I fear we are farting against thunder.

attachicon.gifPool care 1.png

attachicon.gifPool care 2.png

attachicon.gifPool care 3.png

attachicon.gifPS1244.jpg

What are the odds of report this to the Cape Town municipality.  You think they might issue the guy with a fine.  One would think this is easy money for them.

What are the odds of report this to the Cape Town municipality.  You think they might issue the guy with a fine.  One would think this is easy money for them.

I do report it. A traffic cop gives them a call and they **** bricks. But no fines. I like the idea a few pages back of instituting a private action next time a driver encroaches my space and my cameras are rolling.

I do report it. A traffic cop gives them a call and they **** bricks. But no fines. I like the idea a few pages back of instituting a private action next time a driver encroaches my space and my cameras are rolling.

I missed that post as I lost interrest in the thread when to much was repeated from what was said in the beginning of the thread.  Would that mean laying charges yourself against someone?

I missed that post as I lost interrest in the thread when to much was repeated from what was said in the beginning of the thread.  Would that mean laying charges yourself against someone?

It was an American case where a driver buzzed a rider and his young daughter. He took civil action and was awarded $4500 as the driver was within the 3 feet dictated by law.

It was an American case where a driver buzzed a rider and his young daughter. He took civil action and was awarded $4500 as the driver was within the 3 feet dictated by law.

Can the same be done in SA if there is Video proof of the 1m rule being broken?

Can the same be done in SA if there is Video proof of the 1m rule being broken?

That would be the test. I'd imagine if NPA declines to prosecute, in the same way Gerrie Nel is going after the crooks in government.

How many people will help fund a test case is the issue. And with my relationship with PPA CEO I could not ask them.

Presumably the company owner might be responsive to this info (unless the driver is the owner of course!)?

Can't quite make out the company name other than something pool care

Can't quite make out the company name other than something pool care

This is when you contact the company and start negiotiating a serious contract to maintain several pools and then phone the next day and say ... "Sorry, I was just informed by my friend/business partner that you almost killed him on his bicycle on this and this day.  Here is the evidence.  Taking my business somewhere else".  No court no nothing but might get him thinking.

DABgK4gXcAANahk.jpg

The truth is in most cases of accidents with bicycles they don`t see the cyclist. Most accidents happen not because the drivers have no respect for cyclists or have a bad attitude, its just they don`t see cyclist or make a judgement mistake.

Archived