mecheng89

Maybe seedings should be based on a 20min TT?  :unsure: That eliminates all doubt about who is a pure wheel sucker. 

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are in a breakaway and you have 2 non-contributing wheel-suckers and your nose is a bit runny... And you gooi a nice snot-rocket.

Should you feel guilty?

lol, yes you should feel guilty. those poor wheelsuckers are not affecting your ride or performance.

lol, yes you should feel guilty. those poor wheelsuckers are not affecting your ride or performance.

By not contributing to the break away, they most definitely are.

Its all about goals.

NOBODY cares if you win your open seeded bunch, get over it, but everybody cares about a better seeding, therefore a better a finishing time.

What if ones goal is to win the open seeded bunch? It's about  a sense of achievement when you are compared to your peers, people of apparent equal ability? 

Maybe then the seeding system should be revised, updated to more accurate reflect your ability? 

Jirrrr its not friday calm this thread down :D

I knew people would be fired up! But its good, we must open up a dialog'and get people to understand the concerns of other cyclists. How else are we going to improve the quality of the competition? 

By not contributing to the break away, they most definitely are.

and if they were not there at all?

the way i see it, they kinda do interfere with your ride/performance 'cause now you constantly looking back over your shoulder and cursing those suckers and not concentrating on the ride :P

What if ones goal is to win the open seeded bunch? It's about  a sense of achievement when you are compared to your peers, people of apparent equal ability? 

Maybe then the seeding system should be revised, updated to more accurate reflect your ability? 

If you want to win the open seeded bunch, then you must plan accordingly.

If you arrive at the finish and there are 50 guys in the main bunch, they will all try and sprint, meaning you have very low chance of winning.

If you truly want to win, you might need to risk a break away, get 4-5 guys to go with you and stay away. That way you up your chances of winning from 2% to 20%.... If your break fails, you will be back in that 50 main bunch and your chances are back at 2%

Beside, if you are 5 guys in a AL break, chances are there are only 5 guys puling the main bunch, so staying away should be easier than one thinks. If there in no cohesion in the chasing bunches, breaks stay away. To be honest, I am surprised that not more people take advantage of this.

Is this specific phenomenon not specific to the Fast One or other flat races? In tougher races not everyone hangs on that long .... or am I speaking rubbish?

There are so many different do's and don'ts in road cycling it is making me confused

Don't stress Gen.  If you are in a mixed bunch and half decent looking you can suck wheel all you like.  Ive even had the odd hand on my back to push me back in the bunch when I was falling behind on a climb.

Don't stress Gen. If you are in a mixed bunch and half decent looking you can suck wheel all you like. Ive even had the odd hand on my back to push me back in the bunch when I was falling behind on a climb.

He he he... helmet on sunglasses on I could look anyway ..who's to know he he he.

Of course first objective.. get in a bunch

Ladies racing can be a bit rough :ph34r:

After the elite pros break away those of us left behind have to organise our selves.  My first Amashova roundabouts Inchanga I hooked up with a few ladies, first thing they wanted to know was what age cat I was racing in :ph34r:  Once it was determined that each of the four of us was in a different cat the ladies decided to work together. Meow :w00t:

How is it in the ladies' bunch? As many complaints?

Yes, there are complaints but given the low number of ladies racing each other, it's a very low number compared to the men.

Dont really care about wheel suckers, only time they become a nuisance is when they sit in the paceline and jump on brakes or swerve when it comes to their turn on the front. Just peel of straight away, no hard feelings.

9/10 times we would have poured our souls out over 98% of the course and got a lekker suffer score and maybe lose 5 seconds in the sprint, so be it if lose a few spots. Less crashes and admin. 

When everyone gets in the car to go home, they don't remember the person who won, they remember who pulled the group apart. :D

Also, if you write the race reports you can make up who won anyway in the alphabet soup :D

If you want to win the open seeded bunch, then you must plan accordingly.

If you arrive at the finish and there are 50 guys in the main bunch, they will all try and sprint, meaning you have very low chance of winning.

If you truly want to win, you might need to risk a break away, get 4-5 guys to go with you and stay away. That way you up your chances of winning from 2% to 20%.... If your break fails, you will be back in that 50 main bunch and your chances are back at 2%

Beside, if you are 5 guys in a AL break, chances are there are only 5 guys puling the main bunch, so staying away should be easier than one thinks. If there in no cohesion in the chasing bunches, breaks stay away. To be honest, I am surprised that not more people take advantage of this.

Problem is getting someone to commit to this or to join the break... everyone is way to comfortable in the group including the strong who pull and complain about the wheelsuckers.

I would have loved to join a break or any sort of group at 947 but E batch had no-one who wanted to stay together - everyone for themselves - I hope higher seeded groups try to use a grouping this year if my seeding moves up.

Is this specific phenomenon not specific to the Fast One or other flat races? In tougher races not everyone hangs on that long .... or am I speaking rubbish?

True... in the tougher races there is more dropping and also better chance for break aways. - Trying to break when the group is doing 60kmh on the flat and 100strong is not always so easy or possible. (well not for me just yet) Climbs provide a better platform for me and groups often split on the climbs - the light and strong coming out on top and the heavier powerhouses tend to drop to group 2.(who hunt you down on the flats again).

Archived