Cyclist down Tokai Road 5th Feb

cadenceblur

So thats three accidents with cars in one weekend. 

Patch, I dont know what you expect them to do? There is no quick fix, must they jump up and down making a fuss that will accomplish nothing? 

I know we love to hate on PPA and CSA, but there is not much they can do to stop retards in their cars hitting cyclists.

They were out again on chappies preaching to motorists about stay wider of the rider this weekend. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about we all just rock up at the Grand Parade one morning and ride the N1. Block it for all vehicles like the Tow trucks did years ago. They got alot of attention. P@#$%^D a lot of people off that morning, but got the

message across.

Just a thought.

This will have high impact for sure, but part of our mission MUST be to win over some motorists.

Blocking their already crappy commute to work will do the opposite of this.

CSA and PPA have numbers and budget on their side, and should be very loud about his.

They are the ones who can lobby to get laws changed. We can put pressure on them to hurry this the **** up!

How about we all just rock up at the Grand Parade one morning and ride the N1. Block it for all vehicles like the Tow trucks did years ago. They got alot of attention. P@#$%^D a lot of people off that morning, but got the

message across.

Just a thought.

Now thats an idea that may actually bring the message to the people that are doing the killing. 

No point in preaching to the choir.

Yesterday riding along towards the Kommetjie/Black Hill intersection from Masi some D000000000SS was more interested in his phone than the road as usual. He was angling towards the pavement. As I rode past I hit his bonnet with my hand. I FULLY expected to become a hood ornament for the next 5km.

Motorists are a BIG problem. most of them pay NO ATTENTION AT ALL to the road.

So thats three accidents with cars in one weekend. 

Patch, I dont know what you expect them to do? There is no quick fix, must they jump up and down making a fuss that will accomplish nothing? 

I know we love to hate on PPA and CSA, but there is not much they can do to stop retards in their cars hitting cyclists.

They were out again on chappies preaching to motorists about stay wider of the rider this weekend. 

PPA and CSA should take on Government on this.  The classic setup for example of taking the minister of Transport to court as he is not doing anything about road and cycling safety.

CSA and PPA have numbers and budget on their side, and should be very loud about his.

They are the ones who can lobby to get laws changed. We can put pressure on them to hurry this the **** up!

They need to rethink their awareness campaign.

No amount of pressure in the courts after a death is going to bring a loved one back, they someone have to figure out how to prevent all these incident.

I remember a drunk and driving ad that was on the TV when I was a kid, it was quite upsetting but effective..

For every one cyclist we hear of getting knocked over how many commuters aren't getting knocked over.. the message needs to reach everyone and mustn't get seen as a cyclist thing.

They need to rethink their awareness campaign.

No amount of pressure in the courts after a death is going to bring a loved one back, they someone have to figure out how to prevent all these incident.

I remember a drunk and driving ad that was on the TV when I was a kid, it was quite upsetting but effective..

For every one cyclist we hear of getting knocked over how many commuters aren't getting knocked over.. the message needs to reach everyone and mustn't get seen as a cyclist thing.

Its all very well changing laws etc, but as with most of these incidents the dude just drives away and the police are not the smartest cookies so they get away with it. 

The police need to enforce the laws that are currently there.

message across.

Just a thought.

I don't support this option. For me it's akin to fighting for peace.

A hard run campaign that hits home and puts names and faces to the carnage on the road will have far greater impact where that needs to happen! We all know what's happening and are appalled by it, but the masses are not really aware as they are not vested into how these members of the two wheeled family are being murdered out on the roads. They have no attachment to the cause. The only way to get through is to appeal to their humanity and even then you wont get everyone, but you will make a start!

The cycling bodies need to have a very public message and take on the legal requirements of ensuring the perpetrators are brought to book! Anything less will be a failure for the sport and lifestyle they represent! We need to keep pressing them to step up in both areas and somehow come together and rally behind these causes!

Its all very well changing laws etc, but as with most of these incidents the dude just drives away and the police are not the smartest cookies so they get away with it. 

I for one feel that the law should change that if someone is killed in a hit and run, the charge of culpable homocide should change to murder.  The reasoning is that by leaving the scene of the accident you refuse the victim the chance of survival by not phone an ambulance and assisting him.

As you said catching them is a problem but if you have one or two successfull convictions with propper sentences the word will spreak quickly.  Rather sit with a lesser sentence than wilth a full murder sentence.

Something that is FULLY achievable.

We approach the Cellphone networks. Get them to automatically switch off mobile data when the phone hits 40kph. All modern phones are fitted with accelorometers so a small update would be all it takes. It's illegal to use a phone whilst driving so the cellphone networks would be helping people become law abiding citizens. 

Something that is FULLY achievable.

We approach the Cellphone networks. Get them to automatically switch off mobile data when the phone hits 40kph. It's illegal to use a phone whilst driving so the cellphone networks would be helping people become law abiding citizens. 

Like this idea, but how would this impact GPS enabled apps running on the phone? Probably has too many loopholes for other requirements to fully pursue this, unless we can have some proper technical info on it. e.g Do they have the capacity to shut down ports that IM and similar happen on when the phone is in rapid motion?

Alan Winde is the MEC for Economic Development. Not his portfolio.

David Grant is the MEC for Transport. Road safety falls under him at a provincial level. Cape Town roads on the whole are not his responsibility except for the freeways and Chappies and I think Cape Point road.

Cape Town's Mayoral Committee Member: Transport is Brett Heron. He is the person responsible for road safety, roads, cycle paths, bus lanes and our general well being when moving about.

I would suggest interacting with Grant and Herron and am very happy to help in any ad hoc committee that improves the safety of road users.

I would like to advocate average speed cameras on roads used by cyclists such as Spaansgemacht, Chappies, Suikerbossie, Victoria from Llandudno to Camps Bay as examples. Obviously there are a lot more roads where speed is a problem.

What Carbon29er is saying.

That is a good practical solution to start with. With his experience in cycling safety, I'm positive that we can get something going here.

Ja and it just seems as if neither the motorists or law enforcement is even interested in following the law and police don't seemed bothered enforcing it.

They need to have a look at what is working where in the country and try and bring it in everywhere..what are the stats in other major cities, is it the same everywhere or do some cities have fewer incidents and what are they doing differently.

So many questions..

I for one feel that the law should change that if someone is killed in a hit and run, the charge of culpable homocide should change to murder.  The reasoning is that by leaving the scene of the accident you refuse the victim the chance of survival by not phone an ambulance and assisting him.

As you said catching them is a problem but if you have one or two successfull convictions with propper sentences the word will spreak quickly.  Rather sit with a lesser sentence than wilth a full murder sentence.

I agree fully with this.

Archived