Can we start a counter on the Bikehub of all the cyclists killed in a year?

Paul Ruinaard

So as per the topic - admins can i suggest a toll clock be added to the website in big red letters on the bike hub landing page which increments each time a cyclist is killed or seriously injured nationwide and is reported. Every year prior to the major races there is a spate of people killed when out training or commuting - we need to use this grisly statistic to raise awareness across the cycling community as to quite how prominent deaths of recreational and other cyclist are, and to drive awareness of defensive behaviours. It doesn't matter any more who is wrong or right - what matters is that a single life saved can make a huge difference. there are lots of behaviours which we all know raise risks and others which reduce risks - and we can possibly all improve if we constantly are aware of the risks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really so sure this is a good idea.

For so many reasons. Turning tragedy into statistics being one and would be a horrible reminder to those directly involved every time they want to browse the classifieds.

Maybe buy a domain and start the clock counter for real life deaths on there... I think your intentions are good, but the suggestion not so much.

awareness is always good and i support it 100%, however, this is going to be seriously depressing. maybe it can be loaded on the NRA website (SANRAL). or will we be clocking up the mt bikers as well?

So as per the topic - admins can i suggest a toll clock be added to the website in big red letters on the bike hub landing page which increments each time a cyclist is killed or seriously injured nationwide and is reported. Every year prior to the major races there is a spate of people killed when out training or commuting - we need to use this grisly statistic to raise awareness across the cycling community as to quite how prominent deaths of recreational and other cyclist are, and to drive awareness of defensive behaviours. It doesn't matter any more who is wrong or right - what matters is that a single life saved can make a huge difference. there are lots of behaviours which we all know raise risks and others which reduce risks - and we can possibly all improve if we constantly are aware of the risks

This a very good idea.

For so many reasons. Turning tragedy into statistics being one and would be a horrible reminder to those directly involved every time they want to browse the classifieds.

Maybe buy a domain and start the clock counter for real life deaths on there... I think your intentions are good, but the suggestion not so much.

I agree, these things walk a very fine line and can often hurt innocent people or cause more suffering. However, what is not measured cannot be understood or improved. We can anonymize the data to a certain extent, but some statistics will certainly go a long way in understanding the bigger issues, which should ultimately lead to mechanisms to protect us. 

I have been following all the accidents and tragedies closely (and others on other pages, sadly), and we don't have a full picture. We can say with a certainty that there are more cyclists (and motorists) on the road than ever, so logically there will be an increase in accidents. But to what extent? 

A counter would be cool, but that's just a number. We have ways to track crime hot spots. Why can't we do that for these types of accidents? I am willing to put money where my mouth is, and help fund / design such a system. I have however been down this road where communities want to fix a problem, but people very rarely stand up and put in any effort. Everyone is very quick to complain and demand action, but the moment we are required to put in any effort, it's crickets. 

^ this

Everyone on the hub can take a leaf out of this book regarding opinions

I get its pretty stark and immediate but isnt that is what is required? We have gone past the stage where this is not a major issue. Weekly on the hub we get updates about deaths.

You may traumatize a couple of folks but let's be honest its very dangerous out there - between muggings and deaths we must be one of the most in peril groups of recreational athletes in South Africa.

I think that a stark reminder would help - a campaign across all cycling forums and even websites that transact online in the community? Possibly a contribution per transaction from all the sites to a fund for education and awareness plus securing of safe zones.

We cant carry on just sitting on the sidelines commenting RIP every weekend.

I get its pretty stark and immediate but isnt that is what is required? We have gone past the stage where this is not a major issue. Weekly on the hub we get updates about deaths.

I think that a stark reminder would help - 

I tend to agree with Jewbacca.

A stark reminder to those doing the killing would be more effective than a stark reminder to the us doing the dying..

On another note - while lane splitting this morning on the M5 towards town (on motorcycle at responsible speed) - I was passed by a cyclist! - Not sure if I should have been impressed about his effort or concerned around the inappropriateness or stupidity of his actions.

To each his own i guess .

I don't think this is a bad idea at all. 

BUT I would do it as a crowdsourced webpage.

list all incidents traffic/bike related accidents.

include all details possible, as well as additional follow ups like press reports and court action/outcomes.

I look at the BikeHub stolen bike database as a good starting point, the heatmap is quite a powerful tool/graphic.

something been done here with strava heatmap

https://monash.edu/research/city-science/MelbourneBikeCrashMap/#index

http://graphics.latimes.com/la-pedestrians-how-we-did-it/

Tragedy vs stats

Hectic man, the fallen are close to some hubbers.

A bit too close to home me thinks.

Perhaps on a third party website with a link thereto in bikehub for those interested. At least then you cannot accidentally open the sad stats

My initial post is not to avoid dealing with the issues we face, please don't think I am apathetic to the dangers and plight of those of us using the roads.

I just don't think a reminder in numbers of who has been killed on a website full of cyclists is creating awareness.

We are already aware. Those not here are the ones who need to be educated.

A counter is just inhumane and is dwelling on a statistic which for the wives/brothers/sisters/fathers/mothers/daughters and sons of the fallen is NOT a representation of the pain nor a productive solution to ending the madness.

However my mind set is informed by the living not the deceased in that the idea would be to remind people that cycling is dangerous and that you need to take measures to ensure your own safety and well being are protected every time you go out. Dont assume anything and always be aware of the risks of any actions.

If you are constantly reminded of the dangers of what you are doing - you are more likely to be careful.

I agree with all the other ideas around the support of the parties involved and the wall of remembrance which would be nice tie ins for this. I wasn't however focused on this.

My goal would be to make the current cycling community stop doing some of the things that would increase their chance of becoming a statistic and add the prevention agenda to their mindset. Cure is IMHO beyond our grasp.

As a cycling community (me included)  we are firmly and arrogantly persuaded of our "rights" to act in a way that places a lot of us in peril. If you changed the mindset from this sort of "its my right" to "be careful and be defensive" and dont end up a statistic we would possibly prevent some of the events that are claiming cyclists.

Archived