Fantastic Service from Cyclesure

Grease_Monkey

I have always taken out insurance from MiWay because I have my car and some other household items with them, but when I bought my new bike I decided to go with Cyclesure as they (unlike Miway) replace any damaged carbon parts instead of fixing them. 

For the last couple of months I have sort of regretted it because the premium was a little bit more than MiWay, but today all of that changed. While cleaning and regreasing my bottom bracket area on Monday i noticed that one of the 3 torx screws that hold the chainring on my Sram XO direct mount cranks were loose. Upon inspection I realised that the thread in the crank was stripped (not the thread on the screw). Because the crank is a one piece I suspected that it could not be fixed or re-threaded (quite a small hole) - my local bike shop confirmed this for me the next day. How that thread got stripped is a complete mystery to me, as I am always very careful with the torque wrench, and I know it didn't happen while in my hands - but that is a story for a different day and thread. A replacement Sram XO carbon crank runs at about 5.3k - somethin I was not keen to pay. 

I called up Cyclesure this morning, the claim form was sent through while on the phone with them. 2 hours later I sent them the forms filled in along with a damage report and a quote for the replacement, and at 5pm this afternoon I was notified that they will cover the replacement crank (with a R250 excess payment to be made by me). I have to say I am thoroughly impressed by the speedy service from Annika and the rest of the Cyclesure team. It is not so often these days that you get the type of service I got today, and all without hassle or effort. When compared to other experiences I have had with insurers (non cycling related) - they are amazing.

I can highly recommend Cyclesure to anyone looking to insure their bikes - they may be a few bucks more than the other guys, but for the service I got today I am willing to pay the extra bucks!  

Broke a carbon rim and a wrist during the York Endurance race.  They replaced both rims, as the profile changed from the set I had.  Must say South Industries also came to the party with a reduced price, thus lowering the 15% i had to pay in the on rims. The rims were fixed and back at home, while I still had a "backplate" on, waiting for a proper cast due to swelling.  No issues with the claim!  

Lucky you guys..... I am still waiting for my replacement bike....

been almost 4 weeks now since claim has been paid....

Above situation not related to cyclesure, but looking to move to them

Edited by W@nna-BE

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I got from CycleSure today - relevant to anyone insured through them, and considering that Fun Ride World Champs is almost here.

post-1372-0-79259100-1488973372_thumb.jpg

Lucky you guys..... I am still waiting for my replacement bike....

been almost 4 weeks now since claim has been paid....

Above situation not related to cyclesure, but looking to move to them

And with Jens Voigt in town, you'll be waiting another week, maybe more.

And with Jens Voigt in town, you'll be waiting another week, maybe more.

ha ha wait is a lot longer then that

Effectively it took 58 days to get my new frame after the old one broke but not cyclesure's fault

The accident happened over christmas time and all the importers were closed.

from when the shops opened it took 8 days including shipping the frame form the Uk

Great service 

Thanks for the feedback guys. This thread was the deciding factor to push me to sign with Cyclesure. 

Does MiWay only fix carbon and not replace items if they break???

There was a thread on this some time ago in which Miway responded and yes, they repair and don't replace.

If you do a search, I'm pretty sure you will still find it.

Makes for some interesting reading, especially if you are a Miway client.

There was a thread on this some time ago in which Miway responded and yes, they repair and don't replace.

This is why I moved to CycleSure. Despite reccommendations from their inspectors that carbon frames must be replaced, Miway still go the fix route - really pathetic if you ask me!

Cyclesure do not fix carbon fullstop, they replace.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Haven't heard much good about Miway. Slightly off topic. One of my staff has his house insurance with them and it took them two and half days to replace a burst geyser. They insisted on an itc check for some reason (his premiums were paid up and had no previous claims) and he paid a R1250 excess. They are also now not wanting to pay for any consequential damage. WTF. My geyser burst and was replaced same day with a R500 excess. Going with the cheapest premium is just false economy.

• 3 years later...

Reviving this topic as I don't see the need to create a new one for the exact same questions etc.

I'm looking to insure the Spez and Evil and the quote from CS seems quite good. 

We are not "serious" riders and go out twice a week to ride some trails for fun. I selected the "Joy Rider" option. Question time. 

- What exactly is the "Joy Rider"? Is the cover different?

- On "Joy Rider" I selected the Evil as bike 1 and the Spez as bike 2. The quote shows a 0 premium for for the Spez. Huh? 

How is the service from CS these days? It's been 3 years since someone posted anything about them. 

Are there other options. I should be looking at?