Biltong

AlanD

Not to confuse things. Yes you get skins of which the actual walls are thick . Normally in higher calibrations for boerewors. Not really a problem in the thinner sheepcasings.

Edited by Blokman

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the same topic, I assume droewors is made with a special "skin"?

I tried hanging normal thin boerewors and it just went miff........ Maybe the skin is too thick?

I have used (and eaten) both the synthetic and the sheep casings in my wors. The synthetic is ok-ish in boerewors. But they are impenetrable by normal teeth in dry wors.

I prefer natural casings.

You can use a boerewors casing ,the best is not to fill it too much. Flatten and poke holes with a fork. It becomes mouldy because the moisture cannot escape from the inside .

All casings (skins) come with a calibration in mm. The higher the number ,the thicker the wors. For drywors from about 20 to 24. 24 Works well but is more expensive. Boerewors normally from 26 up to 30 which is thick. They are sold in bundles. You do get different quality casings . Normally the longer the strands , the better the quality. For home use not really an issue. Depending on thickness you should get from 16 to 20 kg per bundle

For spice a batch pack from Crown or Freddy Hirsch works fine. And you can keep some of the wet drywors for a braai .

Edit: Yes , the thinner ones are sheep . Thicker ones pork.

How many pokes with the fork does it need?

How many pokes with the fork does it need?

There is no rule. Every 10 to 15 cm or so. We always used a small s shaped meat hook . Flattened it and whacked it while moving the wors along. Don't worry too much. 

Second thoughts . Something with one sharp point. You can't really mess it up , it's just wors.

There is no rule. Every 10 to 15 cm or so. We always used a small s shaped meat hook . Flattened it and whacked it while moving the wors along. Don't worry too much.

Second thoughts . Something with one sharp point. You can't really mess it up , it's just wors.

Was just thinking a fork could make some biggish holes. A few poles with a knife point will work also right?

I've never made droewors before so wanted to understand it all before diving in..lol

Was just thinking a fork could make some biggish holes. A few poles with a knife point will work also right?

I've never made droewors before so wanted to understand it all before diving in..lol

You're right. A few with a knife should work. Just give it a go.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a couple of kgs of droewors that needs to be dried but I dont have the time or inclination for that. Send PM if you interested. I am in Jhb.

Freeze the wet product. We purchased 4 kg of frozen wors and worked great.

For when the yearning for wors overwhelms you.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finishing off a batch which turned out fantastic.. Oddly enough I made a mistake and was expecting it to taste terrible. I cut the strips and put them in my tray and then squirted vinegar on.. enough to wet the top and leave some in the bottom they I swirled around so it got everywhere. I normally leave that for about 4 hours then paper work dab it and then season she leave in the fridge overnight. This time I forgot about it because my wife put it in the fridge... So it sat overnight in vinegar. I seasoned she left the whole day in the fridge. I was expecting it to be overpowered by vinegar but it was delicious. Very odd

Just finishing off a batch which turned out fantastic.. Oddly enough I made a mistake and was expecting it to taste terrible. I cut the strips and put them in my tray and then squirted vinegar on.. enough to wet the top and leave some in the bottom they I swirled around so it got everywhere. I normally leave that for about 4 hours then paper work dab it and then season she leave in the fridge overnight. This time I forgot about it because my wife put it in the fridge... So it sat overnight in vinegar. I seasoned she left the whole day in the fridge. I was expecting it to be overpowered by vinegar but it was delicious. Very odd

It's probably down to the fact that it wasn't soaking in loads of vinegar. What's interesting is that you season after you leave over night. I normally season, leave over ight and then hang.

It's probably down to the fact that it wasn't soaking in loads of vinegar. What's interesting is that you season after you leave over night. I normally season, leave over ight and then hang.

I also believe in going very light on vinegar

Seasoning is the last thing I do before hanging. Always have.

I was gifted around 10kg of rooibok/impala droe wors. Just need to defrost it and hang. Brother-in-law wen hunting 2 months ago but they are so gatvol of wild meat now:)

I don't normally do it that way. I normally let it sit in vinegar for about 4 hours.. Then season and let in sit in the fridge overnight.

Going forwarded I'm front going to be lighter on the vinegar. Whatever I did this time worked well