Biltong

AlanD

Flip Oros is getting expensive. When I first moved out of my folks place and had to start buying my own groceries in 2012 it was about R20 and on special just under. Last week PnP had it for +-R40. A month or so ago they had a 6 pack on special for R150 I think.

We had the same discussion a few days ago... Oros is part of my staple diet. I drink a lot of it including for a bike ride. The three boys get it for school and work and they drink it when they get home. The gardener and the maid have their fair share as well I am guessing. 

My wife commented on how much we use and what it costs. (We go through a 2lt a week most weeks and we drink our fair share of water as well) Works out to about R6 a day. Not that bad if you ask me. Tastes a load better than most other juices on the shelf. We tried a few but ended up binning them and back to good old Oros  :thumbup:

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the same discussion a few days ago... Oros is part of my staple diet. I drink a lot of it including for a bike ride. The three boys get it for school and work and they drink it when they get home. The gardener and the maid have their fair share as well I am guessing.

My wife commented on how much we use and what it costs. (We go through a 2lt a week most weeks and we drink our fair share of water as well) Works out to about R6 a day. Not that bad if you ask me. Tastes a load better than most other juices on the shelf. We tried a few but ended up binning them and back to good old Oros :thumbup:

It has gotten a lot more pricey but we also tried some other juices and went back to Oros as it just tastes good and far better Than drinking coke or any other carbonated drink, other than beer, every day ????

My wife commented on how much we use and what it costs. (We go through a 2lt a week most weeks and we drink our fair share of water as well) Works out to about R6 a day. Not that bad if you ask me. Tastes a load better than most other juices on the shelf. We tried a few but ended up binning them and back to good old Oros  :thumbup:

It has gotten a lot more pricey but we also tried some other juices and went back to Oros as it just tastes good and far better Than drinking coke or any other carbonated drink, other than beer, every day

Yeah the other brands just don't taste as good as oros. For me its mostly oros or water with lemon in.

Had a bottle of coke in the cupboard so long that it was flat when I opened it.

Yeah the other brands just don't taste as good as oros. For me its mostly oros or water with lemon in.

Had a bottle of coke in the cupboard so long that it was flat when I opened it.

Hahahaha...

What I do is have about 3 2l cooldrink bottles (that people have left at our house when there is a function or when we buy the odd 2l like once a year) that I put oras in and then fill up with O2 filtered water and one bottle with just the water. That way I have a stack of ready made juice to drink rather than making it each time. seems to work nicely for us.  

Holy Cow (pun intended)...you win :drool:

real easy to do.

Second hand cabinet off of gumtree or junk mail.

8mm threaded bar for shelves.

Bathroom extractor fan cut into the top.

In winter I put a one plate electric stove on the bottom for a little bit to dry out the air.

Total cost to build R500

If all goes well I'll have my dryer by Thursday :clap:

First batch of billtong will be a traditional mix with some Freddy Hirsch biltong spice.

Has anyone tried making bacon biltong before? Tried some over the weekend and not bad at all!

First batch of billtong will be a traditional mix with some Freddy Hirsch biltong spice.

Has anyone tried making bacon biltong before? Tried some over the weekend and not bad at all!

also tried the bacon one and its nice. Can get a little too much though so can't eat as much as biltong...I find anyway

Been keen to do my own biltong for a while too. My father in law tells me you can't do proper summer biltong properly though

only if you're leaving it in a place with high moisture. If you get one of those dehydrators (mellerware etc) then it doesn't matter when you make it. The fan ensures that the proper humidity is achieved. 

It's a small step from there, to pancetta and many other wonderful things.